Will I lose my route??

ArcherUTR

The way I have seen it work in my center, is if you are present in package for the bidding process it is still your route to come back to when there is not enough work in feeders.

IMO opinion, if you have committed to feeders and are in feeders, even if you are temporarily bounced back, you should not have the right to bid package. But that's what happens in my center.

rod

Retired 22 years
I thought a person had so many days to qualify on a bid route and had the option to go back on their original route if they didn't qualify or changed their mind. As with everything else it probably varies depending on where you are.

CHALLY9TX

Varies depending on location. Talk to your BA. In our hub you won't lose your route if you run it once every X number of days. Can't remember the number of days....

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
The way I have seen it work in my center, is if you are present in package for the bidding process it is still your route to come back to when there is not enough work in feeders.

IMO opinion, if you have committed to feeders and are in feeders, even if you are temporarily bounced back, you should not have the right to bid package. But that's what happens in my center.
In my area your route stays yours while you are either qualifying or if you're a TCD feeder guy. We had a guy recently go to feeders and his route wasn't put up right away after he completed training because he was considered temporary cover in feeders. After a few months he ended up becoming permanent feeder so they had to put his route up for bid.

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
I stayed on the same area my entire 9 years in package. Never had any inclination to be a cover driver. I went into feeders my first peak and came back to my center in January. They had given my area to a split driver and told me I didn't have center seniority anymore, or an area for that matter. They put me on a blind route in spite of my protests. I'll be the first to admit I'm "new route challenged" I started calling the center for help about 10am and called about every 30 minutes thereafter. This was back when they gave you a package car full of packages and a map, along with a pickup log. I failed miserably. Several drivers had to come help, and If I remember correctly, I brought a mess of stuff back. The next day I had my old area back. The guy who had been running it for 3 or so months complained, but he was promised it back as soon as I went back into feeders. It was the best solution to the situation in the end. I went back to packages 3 years in a row. The first time was 8 months, the 2nd was about 3 months and the 3rd time was just a couple of weeks. Never went back again.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Here you keep your delivery route as long as you're still on the Q list. If you're still on the Q list when the annual bid comes up you'll bid a route in seniority order even if you never go back to run it. Once a permanent spot opens for you in feeders that's it, they'll put your old delivery route up for bid and you'll never go back.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
We have had guys go and decide it is not for them. If this is you, be sure to notify within the time required. They put in the mandatory time in Feeders and came back to their routes.

MoarTape

I guess my area does it completely different than most everyone else. One you're in feeders, there's no bouncing back to package. If there's no work, you go into the building to get your eight. But then again, anyone can bid into feeders, whether they're part time or full time.

ArcherUTR

In my area your route stays yours while you are either qualifying or if you're a TCD feeder guy. We had a guy recently go to feeders and his route wasn't put up right away after he completed training because he was considered temporary cover in feeders. After a few months he ended up becoming permanent feeder so they had to put his route up for bid.

Down here, I'm unaware of any TCD Feeder position. We were just on call. It was a confusing time for me. I had only bee with the company for a year and a half, and I knew very little of my contractual rights about being in Feeders. I only lasted a year of being on call before I bounced myself back to package. I would have been 'On Call' or a cover driver for over 5 years before getting my own route. Things have moved fast since then. I would be sitting pretty with about a hundred guys beneath me.

But who knows if I would be a happy or healthy person, or god forbid had an accident.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
I stayed on the same area my entire 9 years in package. Never had any inclination to be a cover driver. I went into feeders my first peak and came back to my center in January. They had given my area to a split driver and told me I didn't have center seniority anymore, or an area for that matter. They put me on a blind route in spite of my protests. I'll be the first to admit I'm "new route challenged" I started calling the center for help about 10am and called about every 30 minutes thereafter. This was back when they gave you a package car full of packages and a map, along with a pickup log. I failed miserably. Several drivers had to come help, and If I remember correctly, I brought a mess of stuff back. The next day I had my old area back. The guy who had been running it for 3 or so months complained, but he was promised it back as soon as I went back into feeders. It was the best solution to the situation in the end. I went back to packages 3 years in a row. The first time was 8 months, the 2nd was about 3 months and the 3rd time was just a couple of weeks. Never went back again.
This is pretty much what I've seen also.

Play dumb like you've been gone so long you only know your route. Fail miserably if put on something blind then likely get your route back.

Now if I were the guy you bumped I would of files a grievance but most won't.