Will machines take over package deliveries?

rod

Retired 22 years
Probably some day. Eventually you will give someone a credit card number and your in home 3-D printer will make what ever you order. Kind of like the Jetsons

How Now Brown Cow

This is the bigger threat. 3-D printers eliminating the need to deliver anything.

Will these 3d printers print diapers, mattresses, cases of water, dog food, clothing, anything being sold on QVC, etc.? You're crazy if you think 3d printing will have a huge impact.

Any labor job is at risk of robotics. It's just a matter of when. Not even the union can save us from that.

I can't imagine robots making the deliveries very well, but I won't say it could never happen. I don't really think it would be in any of our lifetimes.

wkmac

Will these 3d printers print diapers, mattresses, cases of water, dog food, clothing, anything being sold on QVC, etc.? You're crazy if you think 3d printing will have a huge impact.

I wonder just how much you really understand 3D printing and its potential to even make such a statement as this in the first place? And as to the question concerning those products listed above, the answer is Yes. 3D printing is heading in that exact direction as we speak.

Metal 3D Printing Gets Down To Nanoscale

How 3D Printing Body Parts Will Revolutionize Medicine

Autodesk Genetic Engineer is Able to 3D Print Viruses, Soon to Attack Cancer Cells

Tip of the Iceberg. As to creating bottles of water, even that. 3D printer can make the bottles and connected to an Atmospheric Water Generator for example (Google the term) bottled water coming right up!

Continuing,

Probably some day. Eventually you will give someone a credit card number and your in home 3-D printer will make what ever you order. Kind of like the Jetsons

This is the bigger threat. 3-D printers eliminating the need to deliver anything.

These 2 BCers get it. Tip of the hat Gents!

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I can't imagine robots making the deliveries very well, but I won't say it could never happen. I don't really think it would be in any of our lifetimes.

Our local garbage trucks (Casella) have a remote lifting mechanism which the driver controls from the cab. He rarely has to get out of the truck.

How Now Brown Cow

I wonder just how much you really understand 3D printing and its potential to even make such a statement as this in the first place? And as to the question concerning those products listed above, the answer is Yes. 3D printing is heading in that exact direction as we speak.

Metal 3D Printing Gets Down To Nanoscale

How 3D Printing Body Parts Will Revolutionize Medicine

Autodesk Genetic Engineer is Able to 3D Print Viruses, Soon to Attack Cancer Cells

Tip of the Iceberg. As to creating bottles of water, even that. 3D printer can make the bottles and connected to an Atmospheric Water Generator for example (Google the term) bottled water coming right up!

I didn't mean 3d printing wouldn't have a huge impact in general, I meant the impact on our jobs making deliveries. So maybe will eventually be able to print things I can't imagine for everyday use, but it is many years away from that, and many many more for that being available in every home. So again, I would say not in any of our lifetimes.

Our local garbage trucks (Casella) have a remote lifting mechanism which the driver controls from the cab. He rarely has to get out of the truck.
What's that got to do with us making deliveries? Maybe when we start picking up and dropping off curbside that will be relevant.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
I didn't mean 3d printing wouldn't have a huge impact in general, I meant the impact on our jobs making deliveries. So maybe will eventually be able to print things I can't imagine for everyday use, but it is many years away from that, and many many more for that being available in every home. So again, I would say not in any of our lifetimes.

What's that got to do with us making deliveries? Maybe when we start picking up and dropping off curbside that will be relevant.
How does it have an impact on us making deliveries?

The people just print the product at home instead of us delivering it.

How Now Brown Cow

How does it have an impact on us making deliveries?

The people just print the product at home instead of us delivering it.

Do you think it will be available to everyone, or would it take expensive and/or large equipment. With UPS already in the 3D printing game, I can imagine them printing it and then we still make the delivery long before everybody has the ability to print everything from home.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Do you think it will be available to everyone, or would it take expensive and/or large equipment. With UPS already in the 3D printing game, I can imagine them printing it and then we still make the delivery long before everybody has the ability to print everything from home.
It'll be interesting to watch. I mean all we can do is guess how it'll turn out.

But remember tech only gets smaller and cheaper. I hold way more computing power in my hand now than we had in our home computer 20 years ago.