will my pt employee record hurt my chances of becomeing a driver?

jarman

Hello from Orlando,fl.my employee record is not the best as a pt loader in the Orlando hub.my ? Is.will this hurt my chances of my ultimate goal of becoming a driver.or is it 100% seniority.

John19841

I think you might just want to elaborate a tad bit more...

You will def. get your chance when the time comes, however if you actually qualify or not could depend on your sup/manager's opinion of you....That is, if they're still around lol...

raceanoncr

100% seniority. BUT, with your, supposed, record, that doesn't mean you will pass once selected.

If you've been here long enough, you've already seen the "politics" involved in almost every operation and driver is no exception.

Maybe you shoulda thought of your record sooner, huh? Ever hear the expression, "Burning your bridges behind you"?

UPSGUY72

What do you mean by not the best. Do you have a attendance problem ??? Seniority rules however your reputation might make it very hard for you to make your thirty days.

brownIEman

Getting a driver position is totally by seniority and the management team has no discretion in that. As far as you passing your 30 days and qualifying, management has a lot of discretion. Everyone makes mistakes, especially when learning new jobs like driving. Your management can overlook many of your errors during your 30 days, or meticulously document each and everyone and use it as a justification for disqualifying you. If your record in your PT operation was truly horrendous, tons of no call no shows, even when at work taking 30 min trips to the bathroom during the shift, hiding out in break rooms or just wandering around the facility at the end of the shift to pad your hours, constantly fighting management if they ask you to perform a task you would rather not, etc, then you will be thought of as basically a turd by your current management team. Rest assured they will communicate that to the Package Center management team who will qualify you or not for the driving position, so that they have a heads up on what type of employee you are likely to be upon qualifying. Right or wrong, this is life and it works this way in most companies and really, any organization of people.

Now, if you just have a few attendance infraction here and there, a small number of service or methods failures, basically just a couple blemishes but nothing truly horrendous, I doubt that would be likely to hurt you.

jarman

I am coming up on my two year mark soon.I work 40+ on my day job and I am lucky to get 5 hours of sleep a nite(I work midnite shift)so I don't always make it to work.2/3 times a month.I have been written up once,the rest on my"record".this is the hardest I thing I have done in my life.but I will never work for a company again were my job is not certain.so if I have to do this for the next 10 years so be it! Thanks for the help.

UPSGUY72

You just need to show up to work. When I work the preload I also work a 40 hour job 4 days at 10 hr a day and I didn't miss a day of work. It's all what you want it to be if you want to be a driver you need to make tough choices. You have the weekend to play so work and sleep during the week. If you want to work, play and sleep during the week things aren't going to work out to well for you.

jarman

Preload/twilight would be a dream come for me.I am waiting for that day.4 days a week huh? If don't go to work its because I am sleeping not playing.you guys have been very help full.

brownIEman

Every operation is different, but from my perspective 2-3 days a month is not a major blip on the radar for a midnight hub operations. Sadly, attendance is often much worse for employees of those sorts. The fact that you have that many call ins and only one write up in 2 years leads me to believe your management group also sees it that way. If that is all you have in your record I would not be too worried.