Will saturday ever become a ground delivery day to.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
I could foresee the company using this service to lock up key accounts. Business to business only within next day ground range. The Saturday service would be at a premium.

Ditto on Upstate's "use the search first".

giphy.gif

ManInBrown

FedEx and the USPS already do it. And now, Amazon and others are expanding into the delivery business.
So, likely sooner than later, Saturday deliveries will be the norm.
If it doesn't happen before the next contract, I suspect it will be addressed and be required in the next contract. I also suspect a lot of other things will change, dramatically, by then too. And, it won't be pretty.
15 drivers below me now. Who knows how many when this is instituted. Should be enough out keep me out of the line of fire. Can't imagine them running more then 20 Saturday routes

jerseyupser

There will probably come a time in which it's addressed uniformly at the national level, and given that it will heavily reduce volumes on Monday, the work won't be done by PTers like Saturday air...
Monday's are usually the lightest day of the week.

jerseyupser

I don't know how I would feel about working every Saturday if it was "mandatory". I worked 2 Saturday's during peek only for 4-5 hours. I would say it worked well because my route was lighter those Monday's. Being that I work like 45-50 hours a week I don't think that I really would care to work anymore. Would Saturday be a code 06 or code 05 day. I do think with in the next few years it may be a big possibility. Especially with FEDEX and USPS already delivering on Saturday/Sunday's.

ManInBrown

I don't know how I would feel about working every Saturday if it was "mandatory". I worked 2 Saturday's during peek only for 4-5 hours. I would say it worked well because my route was lighter those Monday's. Being that I work like 45-50 hours a week I don't think that I really would care to work anymore. Would Saturday be a code 06 or code 05 day. I do think with in the next few years it may be a big possibility. Especially with FEDEX and USPS already delivering on Saturday/Sunday's.
You wouldn't work more. You would have off Monday most likely, or another day during the week. You would actually probably work less hours, being Saturday would definitely be 8 and skate.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Saturday would not be a 6th punch----you would work an alternate schedule, most likely T-S, and get S-M off. Think of all the stuff that you could get done on that Monday that you can't normally get done during the week.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
FedEx and the USPS already do it. And now, Amazon and others are expanding into the delivery business.
So, likely sooner than later, Saturday deliveries will be the norm.
If it doesn't happen before the next contract, I suspect it will be addressed and be required in the next contract. I also suspect a lot of other things will change, dramatically, by then too. And, it won't be pretty.

It's already been addressed----read your supplement.

You are wrong, Dave.

There is no Saturday language in his (my old) supplement.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
You are wrong, Dave.

There is no Saturday language in his (my old) supplement.
Not even the most recent one? I find this odd because most of the supplements have addressed this issue.
Not even the latest.

Stop assuming, Dave. It doesn't help your credibility.

There is legitimacy, to Dave's assumption.

The Central Region.... addressed the issue as far back as 1973.

ARTICLE 12-HOURS OF WORK

Section 1

"In the case of each full-time seniority employee the standard work- week shall be forty (40) hours per week, and the standard workday shall be eight (8) hours per day. Work shall be scheduled for five (5) consecutive days - Monday through Friday or Tuesday through Saturday. An employee may be required to work in excess of an eight (8) hour day or a forty (40) hour week and in that event, he/she shall be compensated at the rate of time and one-half (1 1/2) his/her regular straight-time rate for all hours worked in excess of eight (8) hours in a day or forty (40) hours in a week.

In order for the Employer, the Union and employees to further benefit from expanding service offerings to our customers, it may become necessary to create schedules that differ from those that exist today. Future full-time schedules may be expanded to include Sunday through Thursday. Should that happen, current full-time employees will be afforded the opportunity to select their preferred schedule in seniority order."

http://teamster.org/sites/teamster.org/files/06242014_77983_central_region-final.pdf

-Bug-

beavis

It will happen. They did a trial run of several consecutive saturday ground delivery days here in Portland earlier this spring. I heard it was tried in various centers elsewhere too. They're doing a cost analysis to see how it worked out. Even if it's not profitable in and of itself they don't want to risk losing key accounts to fedex and usps like Wally mentioned earlier. I don't think it will stop there, the post office is already delivering packages to my mailbox on sunday.

PT Car Washer

It will happen. They did a trial run of several consecutive saturday ground delivery days here in Portland earlier this spring. I heard it was tried in various centers elsewhere too. They're doing a cost analysis to see how it worked out. Even if it's not profitable in and of itself they don't want to risk losing key accounts to fedex and usps like Wally mentioned earlier. I don't think it will stop there, the post office is already delivering packages to my mailbox on sunday.
Are these specific Saturday ground deliveries or Monday ground deliveries upgraded to Saturday delivery? Was it a driver sort and load or was it a full blown preload operation? How were send a gains handle? What would be the cost advantage unless UPS used $10/hr drivers? May be next contract.

beavis

Yes specific saturday ground, not upgrades. Only about 20 routes of our normal 240 (give or take) went out. Preload came in but they used a partial staffing unlike they did during peak when everybody had to come in. Not sure how send agains were processed as i'm not a driver or preloader. As mentioned in earlier posts a tues- sat workweek would be implemented by seniority.

PT Car Washer

Yes specific saturday ground, not upgrades. Only about 20 routes of our normal 240 (give or take) went out. Preload came in but they used a partial staffing unlike they did during peak when everybody had to come in. Not sure how send agains were processed as i'm not a driver or preloader. As mentioned in earlier posts a tues- sat workweek would be implemented by seniority.
Sounds like the drivers who's routes would be cut on Monday could work Saturday to get their 40. Really not sure how profitable it would be but what do I know.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
There is legitimacy, to Dave's assumption.

The Central Region.... addressed the issue as far back as 1973.

ARTICLE 12-HOURS OF WORK

Section 1

"In the case of each full-time seniority employee the standard work- week shall be forty (40) hours per week, and the standard workday shall be eight (8) hours per day. Work shall be scheduled for five (5) consecutive days - Monday through Friday or Tuesday through Saturday. An employee may be required to work in excess of an eight (8) hour day or a forty (40) hour week and in that event, he/she shall be compensated at the rate of time and one-half (1 1/2) his/her regular straight-time rate for all hours worked in excess of eight (8) hours in a day or forty (40) hours in a week.

In order for the Employer, the Union and employees to further benefit from expanding service offerings to our customers, it may become necessary to create schedules that differ from those that exist today. Future full-time schedules may be expanded to include Sunday through Thursday. Should that happen, current full-time employees will be afforded the opportunity to select their preferred schedule in seniority order."

http://teamster.org/sites/teamster.org/files/06242014_77983_central_region-final.pdf

-Bug-

My reply to Dave was meant to point out that not every supplement contains language cover Saturday deliveries.

Some, yes.

wide load

Starting wage is a waste of time.
Will UPS do it? Eventually yes.
Will drivers be required to work? Some supplements already include language that covers a 5 day workweek. So some will not be required to work on Saturday.