Will this years peak season be more of a nightmare then the past?

kingOFchester

Online Black Friday Sales Grew 41%

I uderstand, in my building anyway, that they have cut back on the number of seasonal drivers compared to last year. Add additional volume and we may have a nightmare brewing.

Any thoughts?

tourists24

only one thing immediately comes to mind:

[video=youtube;8gciFoEbOA8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gciFoEbOA8&feature=related[/video]

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
Peak will be a nightmare created solely by Upper Management trying to cut every possible cost rather than putting enough boots on the ground to serve the needs of the customer. Sounds eerily similar to the rest of the year.

Kraetos

Preload, Loader
Less drivers, less preloaders, less helpers, the volume will consume you...the horror begins...

Coming soon to a center near you!

BLACKBOX

Life is a Highway...
Maybe if the weather corporates this time maybe we can get a descent jump on the onslaught of packages soon to overtake your center.They haven't assigned me a helper yet but I prefer tackling peak on my own..but it never happens.

Eat a good hearty breakfast, and drive smart.

NHDRVR

I am waiting for the annual turning of the calendar from November to December when I hear...

"Christmas???!!!" We are having ANOTHER Christmas? But....We had one last year....You mean there is one every year????....Oh, we better hire some helpers now, oh, and get some rental vehicles too.....

100+ years in business and every holiday it's always like it's our first

BROWN430

We started using helpers 2 weeks ago. My first was last week.............. and boy he is a good one.LMAO iI can't get anything done. I'm sure in a normal job he would be fine but you can't walk at a slow pace and pet dogs and look at christmas lights. I think I am suppose to get my old helper back this week. He is an inside worker. He posts on here sometimes. Best helper i've ever had. Don't have to tell him what to do because he already knows what I expect and just does it. He is HYENA. He runs cirlces around the others. Just give him a MONSTER ENERGY drink and some candy and he is good to go. I appriciate him so much I give him a gift card at the end for $50 for whatever store he wants. He makes my life in the truck easy. I can remember last year being sick as hell. I would get out and puke in the grass while he was delivering and he didn't complain about all the extra stops he had to do because of it.

iowa boy

I am waiting for the annual turning of the calendar from November to December when I hear...

"Christmas???!!!" We are having ANOTHER Christmas? But....We had one last year....You mean there is one every year????....Oh, we better hire some helpers now, oh, and get some rental vehicles too.....

100+ years in business and every holiday it's always like it's our first

This sounds like the ups I have grown to "love":happy-very:. The part I really enjoy is how the "planning" changes 25 times between now and Christmas, even though we go thru the same thing, at the same time no less, every stinkin' year.

Dragon

Package Center Manager
Overall retailers are reporting internet sales are higher this weekend compared to the same weekend last year, I think I read up by 33%!! Its about to get very interesting.....

Stran

Holy Toledo
:happy-very: 36 million on line shoppers expected this Cyber-Monday alone!!
We added some helpers with limited training last week and cut out the extra routes...VERY POOR PLANNING!! I have a 75% commercial route and they want to give me a helper for the Residential portion (which is 75% Apartments) My stop count can balloon upward of 100 stops in the Apt section. The helpers have no DIAD training...don't know how to fill out Del notices...and they wonder why it takes so long...EVERY YEAR!!! This will be PEAK # 22!!! 20 years on the same route and every year it is the same!!! LOL!!! We will survive...always make it through! Only 19 Del days left before Christmas!!!

Harley Rider

34 yrs & done!
I remember years ago when we use to rent extra trucks and use seasonal drivers. All that seems to be a thing of the past now. The answer according to corporate seems to be using more helpers. My route is about 85% rural. Normal day is 85 to 100 stops and 170 to 210 miles. Instead of a helper they take off the 15% in town stops and I run nothing but rural stops all day.