Will UPS care

Purplepackage

promotions come faster with fed ex.

Promotions may come faster with fedex but right now I'm an FO driver working all day if needed and with the size of those checks I might as well start at the bottom with ups.

Also the area I live in has relatively small hubs for both fedex and ups( only about 50 drivers at my fedex hub) so I feel moving up may be easy both places as people retire

laffter

If you don't put down you work at FedEx, and later find out, you will be fired for lying on the application.

I don't recall seeing such a question on the employment application. "Do you currently work for FedEx?"

If you're referring to "employment history"- I've always taken that to mean... "places you've worked at and wouldn't mind us calling". You typically leave off any any places where you were fired from, or in this case...

F

FrigidAdCorrector

I don't recall seeing such a question on the employment application. "Do you currently work for FedEx?"

If you're referring to "employment history"- I've always taken that to mean... "places you've worked at and wouldn't mind us calling". You typically leave off any any places where you were fired from, or in this case...
You can only say if the person has worked there anyways. You can't ask why they are no longer employed there.

realbrown1

Annoy a liberal today. Hit them with facts.

It will ask for past job history. If you are still working there, it's part of your history.

Didn't think this through?

laffter

It will ask for past job history. If you are still working there, it's part of your history.

Right. I did say that. And what I meant is, I've never taken that section of a job app to actually "require" you to list every single place you've worked at. Why should any employer care or need to know? My interpretation of that section is to list certain previous jobs as references. Places you wouldn't mind the potential new employer to contact.

realbrown1

Annoy a liberal today. Hit them with facts.
Right. I did say that. And what I meant is, I've never taken that section of a job app to actually "require" you to list every single place you've worked at. Why should any employer care or need to know? My interpretation of that section is to list certain previous jobs as references. Places you wouldn't mind the potential new employer to contact.
Your wrong. You will be fired from UPS if you fail to list an employer in past employment history.
It's called dishonesty.

hondo

promoted to mediocrity
It is also fedex policy that you cannot work for a competitor.
I don't think Brown will care one bit, if you are applying for package handler. Apparently FedEx does; however, in my opinion (and I'm certainly not an attorney), that 'non-compete' policy of FedEx would not stand up to a legal challenge. I believe there was a recent court ruling to that effect.
So basically, just don't come into UPS at night with your FedEx uniform on
I had a coworker who would wear his FedEx uniform in the hub, probably at least once a month.

The main issue is staying in compliance with Hours of Service regulations.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

What would you say when they ask about the gap in your employment history?

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
You can only say if the person has worked there anyways. You can't ask why they are no longer employed there.

Lots of misnomers in this thread, like this one. A past employer is legally entitled to give a candid opinion of you if contacted by a prospective employer. So yes, if you had problems being punctual, were caught stealing, got caught coming into work drunk or high, spread "office" gossip, got fired for sexual harassment... or heck, even if you left on good terms but your boss thought you were a lousy employee-even if such thoughts were unjustified... UPS has a legal right to say this. But here's the problem: if that prospective employer declines your employment... you have a legal right to know if it was in part because UPS gave a poor recommendation. Because of this, many large companies have a policy in which they will only confirm a person's employment, and provide no other details. That use to be (and may still be) UPS's policy.

That employment application asks you if you've provided accurate information. This is stuff that typically gets people into trouble.

-------------

An employer is legally entitled to a full effort from you. If it feels another job is preventing you from giving it 100% of your effort... it can legally let you go/ask you to pick. Heck, if it feels that 60 minutes you spend at the gym before coming into work is preventing you from giving 100%... it can legally let you go/ask you to pick. Obviously with the union, this is problematic at UPS but I have seen UPS do this once (in my 15 years): a PTer worked a 12-hour shift before coming into UPS. His punctuality was an issue as was his performance... hindered by the fact that he struggled to stay awake. If he was scanning, he'd miss a ton of scans. He was only at UPS because of the benefits/opportunity to go FT and thought because of the union, UPS couldn't do anything to him. He thought wrong.

Most employers don't enforce the above, but they do have "conflict of interest" policies for obvious reasons (well, maybe not to some BC members). To answer the OP's question, if you're a PT hourly, UPS will generally look the other way if you're also working for FedEx. But if you move into a consumer facing position (drive, consumer counter, etc.) OR a managerial position (even PT sup), you will not be permitted to work for the competition. FedEx, OTOH, may have a problem w/it...

Harry Manback

Robot Extraordinaire
Your wrong. You will be fired from UPS if you fail to list an employer in past employment history.
It's called dishonesty.

ImageUploadedByBrownCafe1423275219.328282.jpg

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!

It's not an opinion, it's a fact, and it's a pretty common reason people end resigning or getting fired from their jobs (not specifically referring to UPS).

If the application asks for your employment history over the past seven years, and you've worked at Barnes & Noble that entire time period, but also held a temporary seasonal at Halloween USA, that temporary job may not be considered material and it'd probably be OK to leave it off. If, OTOH, you worked at Barnes & Nobles for the past seven years and FedEx for the past three, leave off FedEx, then sign off on the application as being completed accurately... you're being dishonest. In today's world, it's quick, easy & cheap for companies to get & share information about you.... I certainly won't risk it.

Like I said, while it's going to depend on the HR person, I doubt many would have an issue with a PT hourly working at both (although others will believe heavily in loyalty). His concern should be with FedEx, not UPS.

theslinger

Worked at Fedex Express, got hurt off job and quit.
Applied at UPS, put Fedex down as previous employment, and got hired at big brown.
Manager who interviewed me actually thought it was good that I had unloaded and loaded trucks and "knew" the business.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Applied at UPS, put Fedex down as previous employment, and got hired at big brown.
Manager who interviewed me actually thought it was good that I had unloaded and loaded trucks and "knew" the business.

Would that manager have felt the same if you were still working for FedEx?

PT Car Washer

My son worked loading for Speedee (regional delivery service) before he applied at UPS. Filled out the online app, took the tour and was working in three days. Quit Speedee as UPS is a lot easier.

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
The issue isn't whether the OP is hireable by UPS given his past at FedEx ... it's that he wants to work for both companies at the same time.

PT Car Washer

The issue isn't whether the OP is hireable by UPS given his past at FedEx ... it's that he wants to work for both companies at the same time.
Can't live on PT alone. As long as you show up everyday and put out, UPS does not care where else you work. You are loading trailers, not too many trade secrets there.

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
Can't live on PT alone. As long as you show up everyday and put out, UPS does not care where else you work. You are loading trailers, not too many trade secrets there.

As I've mentioned above, I generally agree... however, you will encounter (and rightfully so) management who feels that everybody at UPS is capable of / should be selling the company... nonetheless, even if UPS didn't have a problem with it, I expect that FedEx will in his case.