Will UPS ever do away with preloaders?

clean hairy

If preloaders were done away with, there would be no way to gain seniority to drive, if no drivers, no packages are delivered, the union wouldn't let that fly, even if it were CLOSE to being possible, I can't imagine it being possible, so many things that only a human being can do that a robot or machine will never be able to do.
consider the automated centers, the scanners still make missorts.
Imagine any automation loading package cars and putting stops 15 miles away in all directions!

Last edited:

clean hairy

Sure they will!
Look at the cost savings, no vacations or retirement expense.
Of course, imagine the robots knocking on doors, they will be breaking countless doors each day when they see a note to knock loud!

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
giphy.gif

Just a question I'm posing. Do you think robots, or some future organizing system would be put in place that loads the trucks for drivers every morning? Do you think you'd like it better that way without human input?

Or what about drivers being replaced with self-driving delivery vehicles?
I'm replaced every time I take another one of my million teamster negotiated vacation weeks and option days. Usually by a young robot.

rod

Retired 22 years
I would say that the day UPS can do away with pre-loaders is about the same day all lower management is shown the door.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
http://www.pcworld.com/article/2898118/elon-musk-teslas-could-drive-themselves-today.html

According to Musk, we’ve solved the problem of self-driving cars. We know what to do. If that’s true, then we only need wait for Moore’s Law—and cameras, and chipmakers like Nvidia—to catch up.

Musk said that Tesla will continue to design for “legacy” drivers, even when cars go fully autonomous. That means including the same structural stability and safety mechanisms to protect the driver in case of a crash with a human-driven vehicle. But, he said, autonomous cars are a “solved problem,” with only the technology standing in the way. And that will be solved in a few years.

MendozaJ

An automated loading system is just not feasible. What would be more practical is a built in scanner in the back of each truck. Even one scanner for a group of four would work, with a simple LED unit that lights green to indicate which truck to enter. There can even be an information screen as to how many packages are remaining for each drop, HIN, car, etc.

McGee

An automated loading system is just not feasible. What would be more practical is a built in scanner in the back of each truck. Even one scanner for a group of four would work, with a simple LED unit that lights green to indicate which truck to enter. There can even be an information screen as to how many packages are remaining for each drop, HIN, car, etc.

That would be INCREDIBLY expensive, but the screens would replace the load sheets which could save a LOT of paper.