Will UPS let me plug in my Electric Car?

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
I like the Nissan Leaf, it actually has the range to get me back and forth to work on a charge, unlike the Chevy Volt. Electric cars don't hold a decent charge in cold weather, they work better in warmer climates. I'm sure the government will figure out a way to tax car owners who give up gas cars altogether.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

raceanoncr

I hear so much about Brown going Green, I wonder if they would promote this type of thing. I doubt it.

Geez, after one of my last rides, I heard the same thing!

After the ride, upstairs, one of the supes wanted to do a simple "United Way" speel before my evaluation by the ride-a-long. He gleefully ran up and announced, "UPS is going green!!!", turned on a program on his computer, and continued with, "No more paper, United Way is on the computer!!!!".

After the couple minute ad was over, the ride-a-long then proceeded to drag out 9 pages of paper to mull over about the ride, compared to the ONE I used to have when I started!

Yeah, I'm sure UPS is going green.

raceanoncr

Go ahead and plug it in but be prepared to be fired for stealing electricity.

That exact same thing DID happen yrs ago. Before it was installed in the contract, UPS did not allow radio power hookups in feeder tractors, or even transistor radios. Then, as now, some enterprising souls would direct hook radios to the battery or fuse block.

Caught, they were fired! Reason: Stealing electricity.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
If I bought an electric car to commute to work, what are the chances UPS lets me plug it in to charge it for the ride home? I hear so much about Brown going Green, I wonder if they would promote this type of thing. I doubt it.

If it is good PR and brings business, I say yes they will!

Go public with it. you will be on the cover of Inside UPS. UPS and UPS driver promote green by docking electric vehicles.

A month or two later once the press and glitz settles, UPS says "ok, get out"

moreluck

golden ticket member
Nobody wants to pay YOUR electric responsibilities.....typical 'greenie' mentality..."I'm doing good for the world, pay me, take care of me...."

menotyou

bella amicizia
Yet, one more money making opportunity sitting in UPS' lap. Put in charging stations with a credit card swiper in it.

Never happen.

brett636

Contrary to what some may believe, even being the strong principled conservative that I am I find myself fascinated by the new electric cars that coming out. Unlike their predecessors they are finally getting decent ranges through lithium ion batteries and are truly capable of going on the highways. I can see myself one day maybe purchasing an electric car as my daily driver. My only fear is that when the leftists gain control of the government they will want to change the rules so that buying anything but an electric car will be out of the question. I can see the standard gas powered vehicle owners getting treated like smokers are treated today with increasing number of laws restricting what they can do with their gas powered vehicle and high taxes making them too expensive to use. I would like to one day own an electric car, but only so long as I have the choice to do so without any government intervention or persuasion one way or the other. Current free market gas prices have made driving more expensive and have made electric cars much more appealing than they have been in the past. I can't think of anyone on either side of the political spectrum who fills up their gas tanks and enjoys the thought of how their hard earned money will allow some rich oil sheik to add another 10 ferraris to their already large exotic car collection. My message to the liberals here is don't screw this up like you do so many other things. As long as people are given the choice to make on what is best for their transportation needs many will switch to EVs because it will simply make sense given the direction of the oil and gas markets.

A

anonymous6

Sorry, the answer is NO. I already asked 3 days ago.

I was wondering if the solar panels you can get from costo for $289 would have enough power to charge it?

A

anonymous6

That exact same thing DID happen yrs ago. Before it was installed in the contract, UPS did not allow radio power hookups in feeder tractors, or even transistor radios. Then, as now, some enterprising souls would direct hook radios to the battery or fuse block.

Caught, they were fired! Reason: Stealing electricity.

how couldthey be fired for stealing when tractors have alternators?

Just_another_day_at_work

I like the Nissan Leaf, it actually has the range to get me back and forth to work on a charge, unlike the Chevy Volt. Electric cars don't hold a decent charge in cold weather, they work better in warmer climates. I'm sure the government will figure out a way to tax car owners who give up gas cars altogether.
The Leaf only goes electric I believe, if battery is dead you are sitting on the road. I like the Volt better, 40 miles electric after that switch to gas.
As for Tesla that thing cost a lot of $$$ and the prudoction is keep getting delayed.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
Contrary to what some may believe, even being the strong principled conservative that I am I find myself fascinated by the new electric cars that coming out. Unlike their predecessors they are finally getting decent ranges through lithium ion batteries and are truly capable of going on the highways. I can see myself one day maybe purchasing an electric car as my daily driver. My only fear is that when the leftists gain control of the government they will want to change the rules so that buying anything but an electric car will be out of the question. I can see the standard gas powered vehicle owners getting treated like smokers are treated today with increasing number of laws restricting what they can do with their gas powered vehicle and high taxes making them too expensive to use. I would like to one day own an electric car, but only so long as I have the choice to do so without any government intervention or persuasion one way or the other. Current free market gas prices have made driving more expensive and have made electric cars much more appealing than they have been in the past. I can't think of anyone on either side of the political spectrum who fills up their gas tanks and enjoys the thought of how their hard earned money will allow some rich oil sheik to add another 10 ferraris to their already large exotic car collection. My message to the liberals here is don't screw this up like you do so many other things. As long as people are given the choice to make on what is best for their transportation needs many will switch to EVs because it will simply make sense given the direction of the oil and gas markets.

Anyway, do you think UPS would allow it?

MobileBA

This is far my may favorite post ever. Thanks. The answer to your question is do you really need to ask. I do not believe in green energy or global warming. Oh they just turned "off" the windmills because of too much power from the dams because of spring runoff. Sorry I have ADA or something like that.

klein

Für Meno :)
Electric companies up here have started a new solar energy program.
They install the solar panels (30K value), and the customer pays approx $40 a month for the next 12 or 15 years, until the panels are paid off.
In the meantime your electric meter basically runs backwards, as you are selling back to the grid (no back up generator needed).

In the summer months, esspecially here with 17 hrs daylight, you sell more back, and in the winter you may use a little extra.

I find it an awesome idea !