Will UPS let me plug in my Electric Car?

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
how couldthey be fired for stealing when tractors have alternators?

Because the more of a load you place on an alternator or generator, the more resistance it has and the more energy (fuel) is required to spin it. In theory, this would result in a slight loss of power and therefore fuel economy of the vehicle. In reality the difference would be so negligible as to be meaningless, but that wouldnt stop the company from trying to fire you anyway.

klein

Für Meno :)
Well, here it's kind of simple, since every work parking lot has plug-ins.
I could see them doing a $5.00 a week paycheck deduction, maybe a bit more.

But, it would be simple.

soberups

funeral.jpg
Electric cars are not taking over anytime soon. I don't see "future elec. station" signs springing up out in the Mojave. Most are uglier than hell (IMO) and people don't want to drive an ugly car. I really don't need any backlash from Prius owners......the ugliest IMO!

I guess its just a question of priorities.

Brown skies, polluted water and dead/wounded/emotionally scarred U.S. servicemen and women are all a helluva lot "uglier" to me than a Prius, or any car for that matter. My own sense of self-worth has absolutely nothing to do with the outward appearance of the vehicle I choose to drive, and everything to do with whether or not I am making the best choice that I can for the enviornment and for future generations that will be here after I am gone.
funeral.jpg

klein

This is the new Toyota fully electric car, available in 2012. Gets 180 miles per charge (cost per charge about $3-$4.00)

It's not too awlful looking. Rather have that then an ugly mini-cooper, that I wouldn't fit in to !

soberups

I'm not complaining about my taxes going for stuff like that.........they go for schools that I don't use too. I'm complaining about wanting to plug into MY HOUSE and steal my electricity just because you choose to drive an elec. car. I pay MY elec bill !! Go find a recharging station.....oh, they don't have them yet? Then don't buy an elec car yet!

If I had a friend who came to visit me in an electric car, I would be more than happy to provide him with $2 worth of electricity from my wall outlet in order to recharge his car. If it was truly that important to me to keep things "even" between us, I might have him pick me up a cup of coffee from Starbucks on the way over. Or, I might let him give me a ride to the store in his car which would save me $2 worth of gas. Or I might make him give me $2 worth of change from his pocket. Or perhaps I would just let it go and find something more important to worry about.

soberups

I drive a big gas guzzling Dodge Ram 2500. Love it!

If you like it and it works for you then more power to you. Just accept the fact that you made a choice to buy a gas guzzler and you dont have the right to turn around and complain about the high cost of operating it.

I own a '76 Chevy 3/4 ton 4x4 with a built 350, Holley 4bbl carb, Edelbrock intake manifold, headers, and cherry bomb mufflers. Its a bad-ass, high-powered classic piece of hauling equipment that gets about 7 MPG on a good day. I love it.....but I dont drive it unless I need to. I put about 400 miles on it last year, and did the rest of my commuting in a 2006 VW Jetta turbodiesel that gets 42 MPG on domestically-produced 100% renewable biodiesel. My Jetta looks good, has plenty of power, and all of the luxury features (AC, sunroof, heated seats etc.) that anyone could possibly need. It really is possible to have the best of both worlds if you are willing to make it a priority to do so.

moreluck

golden ticket member
This is the new Toyota fully electric car, available in 2012. Gets 180 miles per charge (cost per charge about $3-$4.00)

It's not too awlful looking. Rather have that then an ugly mini-cooper, that I wouldn't fit in to !
Try to drive to Vegas in that car and you'd be stuck on ZZYZX Rd. just outside of Baker !!!

klein

I don't know how far it is from where you live to Vegas. They say almost every hotel in Vegas has electric plug ins now.
If you choose to stay in a motel, use the cord, and tell manager.

I know, it's a pain in the butt to stop every 3 hrs (180miles) to refuel for up to 4 hrs. But, a good time to get some sight seeing done, a lunch, and be more relaxed.
More and more EV Stations are popping up. Very cool way for restaurants and malls to earn extra cash if they have one.

brett636

The one thing to keep in mind when considering the cost to recharge is the electrical grid we have now could not sustain everyone owning an electric car. Atleast at today's electricity prices. If EVs do take off like I believe the price to keep them on the road will go up as more people need more electricity to charge them. Here in the U.S. we are already having difficulties keeping up with the rising pace of electricity consumption when almost nobody has an electric car. When many more own one it will make electricity prices rise to keep up with demand. Considering most of our electrical grid is powered by domestically produced sources of energy I am ok with that future rate increase, but it is something to keep in mind as more car companies offer more electric vehicles.

brett636

I don't know how far it is from where you live to Vegas. They say almost every hotel in Vegas has electric plug ins now.

I know, it's a pain in the butt to stop every 3 hrs (180miles) to refuel for up to 4 hrs. But, a good time to get some sight seeing done, a lunch, and be more relaxed.
More and more EV Stations are popping up. Very cool way for restaurants and malls to earn extra cash if they have one.

I don't see EV's rising to the status of a road trip car anytime soon. The only EV that would come close to being capable of a long road trip would be the Tesla model S with its extended range 300 mile battery. This is assuming you can stop within that 300 mile range and find a fast charging station that can bring the battery to full power in under an hour. The battery technology still has a ways to go as well as the charging infrastructure to make it work before we will see people driving across country in an EV. For everyday driving an EV can work as most people just need something that can go 100 miles or so per day.

klein

I'm not too worried, they will come out with solar kits for those cars, actually if you google that, they already have some on the market.
And, I really think more and more homes will be solar paneled in the near future.

brett636

The distance you can drive is going depend on where you live if you live where it's flat you can go farther if you live where it hilly not so far. Either way you going have to have two (2) cars one electric and a regular one. What happen when you have a emergency or have to go somewhere and you electric car isn't charged?? Also what happen when you drive to someone house and run out of power and they don't have a plug for you to plug in your car for 12 hours to recharge???

So now you have to pay insurance, car payments, and maint. for both cars instead of one.

This where everyone has to personally judge their needs and whether an electric car works for them. I live in a rather flat area and my daily commute to work is 25 miles around trip. An electric car with a 100 mile or more range gives me more than enough wiggle room to go to work as well as any other stops I need to make. Even emergency ones. As far as owning more than 1 vehicle I have always owned atleast 2 vehicles and will probably do so in the future so for me that is not a big concern. For someone else it may be though.

moreluck

golden ticket member

People have figured out the cost effectiveness.....and you'd have to keep the car like 20 yrs to break even.....or something ridiculous like that.

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'
I'm not complaining about my taxes going for stuff like that.........they go for schools that I don't use too. I'm complaining about wanting to plug into MY HOUSE and steal my electricity just because you choose to drive an elec. car. I pay MY elec bill !! Go find a recharging station.....oh, they don't have them yet? Then don't buy an elec car yet!
I always liked this argument. I am assuming that you didn't pay your own school taxes when you attended from K thru 12. You freeloaded on the citizens then that paid the taxes and didn't use the schools. Now it is your turn to return the favor.

moreluck

golden ticket member
I always liked this argument. I am assuming that you didn't pay your own school taxes when you attended from K thru 12. You freeloaded on the citizens then that paid the taxes and didn't use the schools. Now it is your turn to return the favor.

I attended Catholic school (grade & high) and paid tuition!! The post wasn't about school taxes.....that was just an example. The post was referring to taxes that might be paid to fund green stuff, which I said I don't mind.

klein

People have figured out the cost effectiveness.....and you'd have to keep the car like 20 yrs to break even.....or something ridiculous like that.

On what, a Telsa ?

Why not try it on a future $15.000 electric car, same price or maybe less then a gas engine ?