Windows 7 beta

Discussion in 'UPS Information Technology' started by freeloader, Jan 9, 2009.

1. freeloader

freeloader geek

Windows 7 beta was just released yesterday. Anyone running it yet? Opinions? I have it running in on vmware, no opinion as of yet.
  2. Jones

Jones fILE A GRIEVE! Staff Member

It's got to be better than Vista...
  3. AirTechSpec

AirTechSpec New Member

Does this mean we spent all that time testing apps on Vista was for nothing? Wouldn't surprise me.
  4. Hard to believe we would run any apps on Vista. Just here at home I run it on one machineand put up with:

'KNown Problem with HP Drivers'
    'Outlook Data file not closed properly'
    'Microsoft Word has ended'
    'Internet Explorer not responding' (a zillion times!)

and lots of other annoyances....

and more....after a year these issues are not fixed. I can't believe they will ever be. I run Inter duocore, with 4 GB Ram....

Go UPS!
  5. cachsux

cachsux Wah

Beta? Shoot,everything I have is VHS.:angry:
  6. haystak

haystak New Member

Vista has been rock solid for me ever since SP1. I am dual booting with Windows 7 x64 now and it seems pretty polished. A couple of hiccups here and there, but hey , it's a beta. I love the native AAC/AVC support. Not too fond of the taskbar though, but it may grow on me.
  7. ImpactedTSG

ImpactedTSG New Member

Dual booting? Why are you still doing that when virtualization is a much better solution?
  8. phillyTSGtech

phillyTSGtech Philly TSG

I got this running on a spare laptop (Dell Inspiron E1505) and so far pretty impressed. None of the issues I had when Vista was running on it. Vista for one was always locking up on this machine for no reason. I had no added software on it, just a few games that are self-contained; only use Direct X 9c.

Since installing Windows 7 (installed it the same day it was released) no issues what so ever. I did do a clean install.

As for running it in a VM, I think VMs are nice, but you really do not get to see all the features available. Just get a Knoppix live CD and boot any PC with it, then boot a VM with it, you will see the difference right away, and it is a totally different user experience.

I agree, I do not like the new task bar so far, but am getting used to it. I prefer the Classic theme/task bar/start menus myself.