Winter Clothes

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
I find it funny when dudes are walking around in the warehouse when its 30 degrees or less with no wool cap on. Im just like you idiots, didn't your mammy tell you you lose a lot of your heat in your head lol. I always ask them aren't your ears cold? Their like no their not cold. Im like that's not what your ears are telling me cause their bright red screaming that their cold lol. Ive never understood the stupidity lol.

rod

Retired 22 years
We have guys and gals that wear full coveralls also. Mostly rural routes. Not so much anymore as the new trucks have much better heaters and more importantly door seals.

I remember back when I smoked I would have to pull over on the highway to light a cigarette because it was too windy in the cab of my old P600.

Notretiredyet

It was below zero all day Friday, wore my UA Baselayer 3.0. That along with the UPS issued heavyweight pants, a brown turtleneck mock, old wornout command sweater and a vest and I'm good to go. Still haven't broken out the coat, although I bring it just in case the heat goes out or I get stuck and have to chain up.

Marne Vet

The Army taught me a lot about layering-up in cold weather, and keeping my feet, head, and hands were prioritized. It's been in the teens most of the month [here], with dips well below freezing. Even a few days where the temps hit thirty below. Top to bottom this is what I wear daily:

UPS baseball cap
Brown fleece neck gaiter that covers my ears, neck, and up to my nose.
t-shirt, brown Under Armor shirt, brown mock turtle neck.
Army fleece long johns, fleece pj pants, and UPS pants on top.
Socks: thin pair of dress socks (prevents blisters), Merlino wool socks from Cabelas on top.
Boots: Merrill winter boots
Jackets: Lrg brown fleece (non UPS). X-Lrg brown fleece on top (also non UPS)

That's it. They never break our balls over the non issued UPS gear during this time of year, and the reason I won't wear a UPS jacket is because it's a pain when I bend my arms. The design blows, so it pinches the crap out of my biceps when I bend them. Had to use a large fleece to be comfortable.

Also, I constantly put hand lotion on my hands throughout the day to avoid having them dry-out and chaff. Lip balm is also a must.

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
Exactly its good to have enough clothes than not enough. If you get too hot you can take something off. You cant take off what you don't have. The sign that you have enough clothes on is if you sweat a lil bit, then you know you got enough on. I see it all the time when I get in at night to center guys saying they froze their ball off that day. I just laugh to myself and think you numbnutts and your stupid non preparation for the day. Some dudes just don't get that your preparation in anything you do in life will be the tell tale of whether your successful at the task at hand or not lol.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I find it funny when dudes are walking around in the warehouse when its 30 degrees or less with no wool cap on. Im just like you idiots, didn't your mammy tell you you lose a lot of your heat in your head lol. I always ask them aren't your ears cold? Their like no their not cold. Im like that's not what your ears are telling me cause their bright red screaming that their cold lol. Ive never understood the stupidity lol.
That old-wives tail can be a bit deceiving.
If you have heavy clothes on with gloves and warm boots then of the heat that is lost with an uncovered head is about 75% of the heat that is lost.
If you are unclothed, then there is no more heat lost through the head than through the rest of the body.
I do wear a hat or wool cap when it is cold as you suggest because I want to lose as little heat as possible.

http://www.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/features/do-we-really-lose-most-of-our-heat-through-our-heads

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

What kills me is when I come in off the road on a below zero day and see the kids in the hub wearing shorts.

I will wear a hat on most days when needed except when I have to go someplace right after work. I don't want to show up with "hat head".