Winter Driving

drewed

Shankman
Snows upon us (here atleast) Im sure some of you guys have good tips/tricks and some interesting stories so please share.

New Englander

As a senior driver once told me. "I don't have any bad roads on my route." , "I have roads I don't service in the winter though."

It honestly had taken way too long for me to understand the importance of those words.

wornoutupser

You have to be careful in Florida in the winter.

The population triples in my area and we seem to get the worse ones locally. No wonder Florida is called God's Waiting Room!

Ohh... you meant handling the snow. we dont have that here! YIPPEE!

SmithBarney

Hey now, if there is one place I would want to live out my days The Villages would be it..
My parents are currently there(have been for 10 years) hopefully at least 10 more.

The villages has one of the most active senior populations I've ever seen.

As for driving in the snow... tap that gas on the new freightliners it makes turning around in cul de sac simple.

DS

Fenderbender
Snows upon us (here atleast) Im sure some of you guys have good tips/tricks and some interesting stories so please share.
Never ever attempt to drive up a street or back into a dock unless you are 100% sure you can get out.
Watch out for idiots driving too fast for the conditions.
Always have a good ice scraper on board.
Insure you have plenty fuel.
Dress warm...

wornoutupser

ever heard of the villages? its gotta be gods emergency waiting room, and its getting pretty pretty full these days. the dont drive cars there, only golf carts.

I knew one of your old air drivers at the airport. It seems that most of your next days went to a hospital or were medical supplies!

Babagounj

Strength through joy
You have to be careful in Florida in the winter.

The population triples in my area and we seem to get the worse ones locally. No wonder Florida is called God's Waiting Room!

Ohh... you meant handling the snow. we dont have that here! YIPPEE!
Met a Miami driver once who had a desire to come north during his retirement years and do nothing but drive through the snow birds summer neighborhoods really really slow.

upshawk

Always keep a bag of grit right behind the driver seat
Keep a aluminum scoop shovel
On the real bad snowdays go pick up a few pkgs from one of your bulk pickup stops and load them on the floor on the back end to help your traction

softshoe

Snow chains, shovel, ice scraper for windshield, and sleeping bag that I have had to use to keep warm while I waited for a tow. These old relics that UPS have us drive break down real easy when the temperature get down near the Zero mark.

upsgrunt

Remember: there is absolutely NOTHING in the back of that package car that is worth getting stuck and stranded for.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
The Portland, OR area is bad when it snows....it doesnt snow often or enough here for people to learn how to drive in it or be prepared, but it does snow often enough to really screw things up when it happens.

Part of my route is in a rural, hilly area that goes up about 1000 feet above the Willamette Valley. I can start my day out in the rain on the valley floor, but if I drive up one road for 10 minutes I will be in 6" of wet slushy snow. I have gotten really good at chaining up, sometimes I have to put them on and take them off several times in one day because they will break if you drive them on bare pavement for any length of time. I also have customers who are well aware of the fact that if there is any snow on the ground I will not even try getting up their driveway.

I have gotten stuck in the snow and been pulled out by a customers tractor on several occasions. There are enough farmers on my route with tractors or 4x4 pickups that I know I wont be stuck for long.