Winter Driving

MethodsMan

I can drive a package car with no worries in up to about 6-8 inches of snow. And don't really get worried until over a foot.

You're obviously not to comfortable in the snow. I mean its not magic that people in Minnesota get around fine in 100 inches a year and 2 inches south of the mason Dixon line and the whole town shuts down.

There's snow. Then, there's snow in the hills. Where I'm at its not like the midwest where everything is flat. Much trickier.

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll
I can drive a package car with no worries in up to about 6-8 inches of snow. And don't really get worried until over a foot.

You're obviously not totoo comfortable in the snow. I mean its not magic that people in Minnesota get around fine in 100 inches a year and 2 inches south of the mason Dixon line and the whole town shuts down.

I'm not uncomfortable in it. I prefer my roads nice and dry and 70 degrees, but that's not always possible. I'm not a huge puss when it snows, nor am I one of the A-holes passing everybody on the highway. I get to where I'm going with me and my vehicle in the same shape as when I left.

I have no "hate" towards Brownslave at all. Dave rubs me the wrong way, and if he was in front of me, and his face was on fire, I wouldn't pee on him to help put it out.....that's how much I like that person

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
To the OP;

Learn how to put your chains on properly. If you dont, they will come off and get wrapped up between your duallies and become a tangled, frozen ball of rusty iron and you will not enjoy crawling under there and digging them out.

Bring a tow strap. 99% of the time, all I have to do if I get stuck is get out, hook my tow strap to the bumper, and stand there and wait. The first guy that rolls by in a 4x4 will stop and pull me out, especially if his wife or girlfriend is in the truck with him.

Walk off the driveways. Usually, I dont have a problem getting up to the customers house; its when I have to stop and cut my wheels to back up and turn around that I run into problems getting stuck.

Know your snow. Dry, packed powder like they get in the Midwest is a lot easier to drive on than the heavy, slushy wet crap we get here in the Pacific Northwest. If it has a layer of ice underneath it, its even worse.

When in doubt, EC. Or, if your management wont allow EC, record as missed. Dont try to be a hero. You wont get anything delivered at all if you spend 4 hours in a ditch waiting for a tow truck. If your management chooses not to adjust the dispatch to account for weather conditions then any service failures are on them not you. The snow will melt long before the warning letter you get for an accident goes away.

BigBeef42

To the OP;

Learn how to put your chains on properly. If you dont, they will come off and get wrapped up between your duallies and become a tangled, frozen ball of rusty iron and you will not enjoy crawling under there and digging them out.

Bring a tow strap. 99% of the time, all I have to do if I get stuck is get out, hook my tow strap to the bumper, and stand there and wait. The first guy that rolls by in a 4x4 will stop and pull me out, especially if his wife or girlfriend is in the truck with him.

Walk off the driveways. Usually, I dont have a problem getting up to the customers house; its when I have to stop and cut my wheels to back up and turn around that I run into problems getting stuck.

Know your snow. Dry, packed powder like they get in the Midwest is a lot easier to drive on than the heavy, slushy wet crap we get here in the Pacific Northwest. If it has a layer of ice underneath it, its even worse.

When in doubt, EC. Or, if your management wont allow EC, record as missed. Dont try to be a hero. You wont get anything delivered at all if you spend 4 hours in a ditch waiting for a tow truck. If your management chooses not to adjust the dispatch to account for weather conditions then any service failures are on them not you. The snow will melt long before the warning letter you get for an accident goes away.

Thank you very much...

Good info

Less Runnin, More Stunnin

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
To the OP;

These two paragraphs are most important. Especially for a new cover
Driver. Most of the times I've been stuck its because I took down a long drive that was cleared at the road and then got to the house and had nowhere to turn around.

Room to turn around a small car and room to turn around a package car are totally different.

One thing I might add that I haven't seen yet. Go only where YOU are comfortable going. Many customers will call and complain that they have been getting around just fine. They can meet you for their package if that's the case.

BigBeef42

Thanks BROWNSLAVE.

As a customer clerk i see a ton of ECs when it snows. the driver will usually say Future it for spring, cause thats when the road will thaw out.

Plows in my town seem to hit the roads once everything is already starting to melt away.

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
gOOSE GOSSAGE.png
rOLLY fINGERS.jpg
That mustashe is glorious, lmfao

Rolly and the Goose had some funny ones back in the day lol.