Winter is coming - Be Safe

Code 82 Approved

Titanium Plus+ Level Member with benefits!
3 yr anniversary of me wrecking a main limb on a delivery. A painful reminder that I wanted to share.

Get good foot ware, watch where you walk and have a safe peak you all.

MassWineGuy

And carry slip-on cleats to pull on to your boots. Essential on ice. I told my manager that UPS would put a box of them out for drivers to take. He hesitated and said "They're $3 a pair." At least I know how much I'm valued.

whenIgetthere

And carry slip-on cleats to pull on to your boots. Essential on ice. I told my manager that UPS would put a box of them out for drivers to take. He hesitated and said "They're $3 a pair." At least I know how much I'm valued.

You're definitely getting the education some have warned you about.

OrioN

double tap o da horn dooshbag
Yikes, sorry to hear about that leg injury...

$3 a pair? dang, I paid too much for my set when it was end of season clearance last year... $5

I'm still gonna rock the shorts until the 1st day o snow.

Route 66

Slapped Upside-da-Head Member
I'm still gonna rock the shorts until the 1st day o snow.
ahhhh, one of those guys! We have a few of those. I don't get it all; nothing looks goofier than some nutcase running around in winter parka and shorts. :laugh:

What is up with that anyway? It can't possibly be comfortable. :mellow:

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
ahhhh, one of those guys! We have a few of those. I don't get it all; nothing looks goofier than some nutcase running around in winter parka and shorts. :laugh:

What is up with that anyway? It can't possibly be comfortable. :mellow:
Hairy legs don't get cold when the torso and head are protected.:tank:

McFeely

Huge Member
I think I wore shorts the entire last winter. I just don't really get cold, I guess. I do keep a beanie, pair of pants, boots, etc. in my truck though. Never know when I'll have to dig myself out of the snow.

OrioN

Nooo! don't jinx peak 2016 with talks of the white stuff. It's gonna be a fun time in redneck~town this winter for my first time in the sticks

Yup, plus I need to remember to hydrate as well... keeps my chicken leg skin soft n supple.
mhp100r-1_650_060315075900.jpg

but, seriously running off stops in dry cold air does take its toll during my 14 hour day. so I still hydrate about 2 L of fruit punch or tang with another 2 L of water.

Route 66

Slapped Upside-da-Head Member
I'll never know how you guys do it, but I take my hat (or should I say pants?) off to ya. My knees would be knocking together so hard folks would be looking around for either a giant woodpecker or castanet player. :sad:

Southeast Hoss

Why 14 hour days? start time and end time? that is not very healthy
Nooo! don't jinx peak 2016 with talks of the white stuff. It's gonna be a fun time in redneck~town this winter for my first time in the sticks

Yup, plus I need to remember to hydrate as well... keeps my chicken leg skin soft n supple.
mhp100r-1_650_060315075900.jpg

but, seriously running off stops in dry cold air does take its toll during my 14 hour day. so I still hydrate about 2 L of fruit punch or tang with another 2 L of water.

OrioN

Is peak season... I meant up to 14 hour days.

I'm averaging 11~12 hour days though for the 6 day workweek

Package count can be as low as 95 & as high as 150 , just depends on the size of my boxes. mileage on my rural route is a min 120 ~ 160 miles daily

I guess having a Ford budget rental truck has it's perks. I'm limited to not getting too many stops & the rental place does the maintenance. heater diverted to the floor keeps my feet toasty

Last edited:

dezguy

I'll never know how you guys do it, but I take my hat (or should I say pants?) off to ya. My knees would be knocking together so hard folks would be looking around for either a giant woodpecker or castanet player. :sad:
Agreed.

I have some hairy ass legs but there is no way I'm wearing shorts past November.

OrioN

How do you sort on your truck since it is a rental?

I'm HD so I check my Orion map for the day... pull the business stops and do them early on my route n "break trace" I also pull misorts~ misplots to the side so I dont use dex 012 on the road (no room for them to be taken for a ride)

Then, I build walls like a mini feeder trailer. the last or high number sequences in the back... Then, I turn on Tetris music as I shoehorn them to capacity.

So far my manager is good at sizing up my load & I'm fitting every piece soo far.

supplemental drivers did come in the last week of November to take up the overflow.

I gave up my gated community to a newbie and it took him a full 8 hour days to do 60 stops n 20~30 miles.

Can't blame him; rentals and boxtrucks suck fer sure. I wanna pull the seats out and use
images.jpg

To make a pass thru...

I'm used to it since I had a decommissioned Uhaul rental rebranded with Fredex logos before. I had to adapt to it or quit. (Check out my hilarious threads about it)

Maybe after peak I will be awarded with a proper stepvan, but not holding my breath.

Last edited: