Winter storm closes 180 miles of I-40 in Arizona

texan

Winter storm closes 180 miles of I-40 in Arizona

CNN) -- A winter storm packing heavy snow and gusty winds forced authorities to close 180 miles of Interstate 40 in northern
Arizona on Sunday until further notice.The road was closed in both directions about 6:30 a.m. (9:30 a.m. ET), said David Beck, dispatch supervisor for the Flagstaff
office of the Arizona Highway Patrol. The closure stretched roughly from Kingman in western Arizona to eastward to
Winslow, including the city of Flagstaff, he said.
Portions of Interstate 17 south of Flagstaff were also closed, according to the Arizona Department of Transportation's
website, as were several state roads.
As of 9 a.m. Sunday, Flagstaff -- with an elevation of about 6,900 feet -- had received 10 to 14 inches of snow, according
to the National Weather Service. The city of Prescott had received 8 to 12 inches. Areas above 7,000 feet could see up to
22 inches, according to the weather service.

Winter storm closes 180 miles of I-40 in Arizona - CNN.com

wkmac

We've been having May weather (mid 80's) and this winter has been very mild. There were even a few days in January where I turned on the AC. It's been an odd weather year so far.

texan

Arizona gets 5+ feet of snow

FLAGSTAFF, Ariz., March 18 (UPI) -- While it was unseasonably warm across most of the United States Sunday, a late winter
storm dropped upward of 5 feet of snow on Arizona's mountains.
KTVK-TV, Phoenix, reported some parts of Arizona's high country had received more than 5 feet of snow with more
expected Sunday night. The Arizona Snowbowl in Flagstaff reported 3 feet, the TV station said.

Read more: Arizona gets 5+ feet of snow - UPI.com