Winter tires

Discussion in 'UPS Discussions' started by Packmule, Sep 13, 2014.

1. Packmule

Packmule Well-Known Member

So we already had our first blast of winter. Up to 4 inches in the grass, but warm enough to not stick to roads at all so it was doable with the summer tires on the truck.
    I start writing this up now in hopes that we will have good, deep, crosstreaded tires put on all four corners in early October. Last year we were filing grievances in November before they took care of the problem.
    How well do you other snow cats deal with this?

2. Indecisi0n

Indecisi0n Well-Known Member

Hahahahahahahahahahaha

We can't even get washer fluid.

3. Jones

Jones fILE A GRIEVE! Staff Member

I was big on just bringing back everything I didn't feel safe delivering. If they don't provide me the proper equipment to drive in the snow, then I don't drive in the snow.

4. UpstateNYUPSer

UpstateNYUPSer Very proud grandfather.

Our shop is really good about making sure they have them off before Thanksgiving. Our center provides tubes of sand to use as weight and chains just in case. Thankfully I am in the city so I don't need the sand or the chains.

5. Wally

Wally Hailing from Parts Unknown.

Our tires get changed when bald in NJ. Good tires or not, my 7 sucks in any snow.

6. oldngray

oldngray nowhere special

Do they swap your bald tires for the bald tires on the truck next to yours?

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  7. Bottom rung

Bottom rung Active Member

I get the half used up tires off the rural route package cars. They get all the new stuff. Sand tubes...what a waste of time, and a damn mess to boot.

8. Packmule

Packmule Well-Known Member

Either I need to stop complaining or you guys need to start. It's your safety and your career on the line.

9. rod

rod retired and happy

They used to put new recap snow tires on the rear every fall. They actually worked really good for a couple of months until they wore a little.

10. TooTechie

TooTechie Geek in Brown

If they don't have sufficient tread on them in the morning, I'd refuse to drive it. They can't force you to run an unsafe vehicle and with something clearly visible like tires the DoT would back you up.

11. TooTechie

TooTechie Geek in Brown

Retreads are the only tires we run here.

12. Cementups

Cementups Box Monkey

We don't get significant snow until January so I'll worry about it then.

13. oldupsman

oldupsman Well-Known Member

I made it point to know all the mechanics and even their sups. I also made it a point to write up my tires in early Nov.
    And stop in the shop the first night before I wrote the request for new tires. Never took more than a week and I'd
    have new tires for the winter season. It became a ritual. And they knew I would just be a pest if I didn't get those tires.

14. JL 0513

JL 0513 Well-Known Member

Where the hell are you getting 4" mid September? Alaska?

I'm in Massachusetts where we get good snow and we don't get snow tires.

15. bleedinbrown58

bleedinbrown58 ahhh....the mouth breathers

Yup....the sandbags break in the back of the truck....and the floor is sandy till May.

16. 1BROWNWRENCH

1BROWNWRENCH Amatuer Malthusian

I keep tread to a good level when weather gets bad, but I just have to use what the tire service provides. Most of the time they don't even adhere to my requests for NEW steer tires. It seems they are moving away from the really aggressive caps because they last half as long.

17. oldngray

oldngray nowhere special

Next they will have you regrooving those bald tires.

18. Followthemethods

Followthemethods New Member

Last March we had a snow storm, Get a text from sup saying report to work at 10:00 am. Drive all the way to building, and sup says they are not sending drivers out. I said I am here and want my 8 hours. Was told they couldn't do anything. I filed a my grievance and last week the BA said there is no way I will win it, so he had me sign a paper saying I dropped it. I will never, ever drive into work again if there is any snow on the ground. I hope it snows its tail off during peak.

19. cosmo1

cosmo1 Just another internet hooligan.

Over my 34 years, I think I only had three different mechanics. I got along well with all three, I pretty much only ran rural routes and all would hold off giving me new tires in the fall until late October. Most years, I'd get new rears again in late January.

20. 1BROWNWRENCH

1BROWNWRENCH Amatuer Malthusian

That's what I aim for as long as the weather remains dry and the driver has a paved route.