Winter tires

Packmule

So we already had our first blast of winter. Up to 4 inches in the grass, but warm enough to not stick to roads at all so it was doable with the summer tires on the truck.
I start writing this up now in hopes that we will have good, deep, crosstreaded tires put on all four corners in early October. Last year we were filing grievances in November before they took care of the problem.
How well do you other snow cats deal with this?

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
I was big on just bringing back everything I didn't feel safe delivering. If they don't provide me the proper equipment to drive in the snow, then I don't drive in the snow.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Our shop is really good about making sure they have them off before Thanksgiving. Our center provides tubes of sand to use as weight and chains just in case. Thankfully I am in the city so I don't need the sand or the chains.

Bottom rung

I get the half used up tires off the rural route package cars. They get all the new stuff. Sand tubes...what a waste of time, and a damn mess to boot.

rod

Retired 22 years
They used to put new recap snow tires on the rear every fall. They actually worked really good for a couple of months until they wore a little.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
Our tires get changed when bald in NJ. Good tires or not, my 7 sucks in any snow.
If they don't have sufficient tread on them in the morning, I'd refuse to drive it. They can't force you to run an unsafe vehicle and with something clearly visible like tires the DoT would back you up.

oldupsman

Either I need to stop complaining or you guys need to start. It's your safety and your career on the line.

I made it point to know all the mechanics and even their sups. I also made it a point to write up my tires in early Nov.
And stop in the shop the first night before I wrote the request for new tires. Never took more than a week and I'd
have new tires for the winter season. It became a ritual. And they knew I would just be a pest if I didn't get those tires.

JL 0513

So we already had our first blast of winter. Up to 4 inches in the grass, but warm enough to not stick to roads at all so it was doable with the summer tires on the truck.
I start writing this up now in hopes that we will have good, deep, crosstreaded tires put on all four corners in early October. Last year we were filing grievances in November before they took care of the problem.
How well do you other snow cats deal with this?

Where the hell are you getting 4" mid September? Alaska?

I'm in Massachusetts where we get good snow and we don't get snow tires.

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
I keep tread to a good level when weather gets bad, but I just have to use what the tire service provides. Most of the time they don't even adhere to my requests for NEW steer tires. It seems they are moving away from the really aggressive caps because they last half as long.

oldngray

nowhere special
I keep tread to a good level when weather gets bad, but I just have to use what the tire service provides. Most of the time they don't even adhere to my requests for NEW steer tires. It seems they are moving away from the really aggressive caps because they last half as long.

Next they will have you regrooving those bald tires.

Last March we had a snow storm, Get a text from sup saying report to work at 10:00 am. Drive all the way to building, and sup says they are not sending drivers out. I said I am here and want my 8 hours. Was told they couldn't do anything. I filed a my grievance and last week the BA said there is no way I will win it, so he had me sign a paper saying I dropped it. I will never, ever drive into work again if there is any snow on the ground. I hope it snows its tail off during peak.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member

Over my 34 years, I think I only had three different mechanics. I got along well with all three, I pretty much only ran rural routes and all would hold off giving me new tires in the fall until late October. Most years, I'd get new rears again in late January.