Wiper blades Up or Down?

Discussion in 'UPS Discussions' started by OrioN, Jan 23, 2016.

Wipers up or down during a snowstorm

1. Up

2. Down

3. It depends

4. No preference

Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. OrioN

OrioN Active Member

So i went to take a pic of my rig during this blizzard earlier and noticed that 50% of the cars have them up...

For honda / Acura models,

2. cosmo1

cosmo1 Just another internet hooligan.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  3. OrioN

OrioN Active Member

PS, the wife has an Acura mdx, and that gear did strip due to the weight of the snow/ ice on the rear wiper assembly...

I purchased the beam style blades for the winter months so there are no joints to freeze over

I need these types but the rubber wears out too quickly for my taste

I still have silicone blades on traditional multi- hinged wipers on my other 2 cars... never had to change them in over 5 years now

Edit: did i posted this in the wrong section of the cafe? If so, mods please move this thread. Thanks
  4. Indecisi0n

Indecisi0n Well-Known Member

White people problems?
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
    • List
  5. OrioN

OrioN Active Member

Nah, every-driver-who-encounter-a-snowstorm problems

Just stuck inside... 1st time im not working on a Saturday... no booze stocked up for the weekend
  6. Method$

Method$ Member

Put mine up when parked. 6" a day (more for storms) isn't uncommon. Makes it easier to brush off your truck/car at the end of the day, plus if your wiper sits on moisture from your windshield, it'll freeze to it.

in my center in the winter, 90% of wipers are up.

If you drive with your wipers up, anywhere, anytime, your a moron.
  7. Wally

Wally Hailing from Parts Unknown.

No, things are fine in Clarksville.
  8. Cementups

Cementups Box Monkey

The only time I put mine up is when there is impending ice. And I always make sure my wipers are off when I park the car. That way when I get in the next time they don't automatically come on when I start the car, especially in snow and icy conditions. Don't want those splines getting damaged. They aren't that big of a spline so it wouldn't take a lot.
  9. Dr.Brown

Dr.Brown Swollen Member

10. cosmo1

cosmo1 Just another internet hooligan.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List

1BROWNWRENCH Amatuer Malthusian

Just don't expect the blades to help remove what is already frozen to the glass. That just tears the blades up. Scraper time.
  12. rod

rod retired and happy

What the hell is the matter with you people? Don't you clean the snow off your windshield before you fire up your wipers?
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • List
  13. UpstateNYUPSer

UpstateNYUPSer Very proud grandfather.

It wasn't until I was stationed here that I noticed that people raised their wiper blades before an impending storm. It does make it easier to clear the windshield.
  14. MyTripisCut

MyTripisCut Well-Known Member

I have delivered a lot of these lately. People rave about them, but I haven't seen it in action. Not sure how easy it would be to remove after 20" plus?
  15. UpstateNYUPSer

The screen is for ice, not snow. You have to remove the snow before you can remove the screen.

It is just as easy to start the car and turn on the defrosters. The windshield is usually clear by the time you remove the snow.

Of course, the best thing would be to have a garage.
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  16. brownmonster

brownmonster Man of Great Wisdom

I have a 2 car garage. I'm the third.
  17. UpstateNYUPSer

My daughter and SIL have a garage. It has so much crap in it that they both have to park in the driveway.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  18. trickpony1

trickpony1 Well-Known Member

19. UpstateNYUPSer

20. moreluck

moreluck golden ticket member

Our hoa doesn't allow 'sheds' either, but Sears sells those lower storage units...about the size of a chest freezer...below the wall level and we have several of those, freeing up garage space. Some are filled with Xmas lights, tools etc.