Wiper blades Up or Down?

Wipers up or down during a snowstorm

• Total voters

OrioN

double tap o da horn dooshbag
So i went to take a pic of my rig during this blizzard earlier and noticed that 50% of the cars have them up...

hchs-wipers-up-image-2016-feature-300x336.jpg

For honda / Acura models,
The gear at the pivot is plastic, and raising the wiper blades in this fashion will create too much torque in this area, which can cause damage to the splines.

http://www.wehearthonda.com/honda-seekonk/dont-raise-your-wipers-before-a-storm

I do it so that it looks like my car is saying "*uck you" to the storm. Or to the other tenants in my building. Either way.
LoL

OrioN

double tap o da horn dooshbag
PS, the wife has an Acura mdx, and that gear did strip due to the weight of the snow/ ice on the rear wiper assembly...

I purchased the beam style blades for the winter months so there are no joints to freeze over

images

I need these types but the rubber wears out too quickly for my taste

I still have silicone blades on traditional multi- hinged wipers on my other 2 cars... never had to change them in over 5 years now

Edit: did i posted this in the wrong section of the cafe? If so, mods please move this thread. Thanks

Method$

Put mine up when parked. 6" a day (more for storms) isn't uncommon. Makes it easier to brush off your truck/car at the end of the day, plus if your wiper sits on moisture from your windshield, it'll freeze to it.

in my center in the winter, 90% of wipers are up.

If you drive with your wipers up, anywhere, anytime, your a maroon.

Cementups

Box Monkey
The only time I put mine up is when there is impending ice. And I always make sure my wipers are off when I park the car. That way when I get in the next time they don't automatically come on when I start the car, especially in snow and icy conditions. Don't want those splines getting damaged. They aren't that big of a spline so it wouldn't take a lot.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
The only time I put mine up is when there is impending ice. And I always make sure my wipers are off when I park the car. That way when I get in the next time they don't automatically come on when I start the car, especially in snow and icy conditions. Don't want those splines getting damaged. They aren't that big of a spline so it wouldn't take a lot.

#ricerhondaproblems;)

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

It wasn't until I was stationed here that I noticed that people raised their wiper blades before an impending storm. It does make it easier to clear the windshield.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I have delivered a lot of these lately. People rave about them, but I haven't seen it in action. Not sure how easy it would be to remove after 20" plus?

The screen is for ice, not snow. You have to remove the snow before you can remove the screen.

It is just as easy to start the car and turn on the defrosters. The windshield is usually clear by the time you remove the snow.

Of course, the best thing would be to have a garage.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
The screen is for ice, not snow. You have to remove the snow before you can remove the screen.

It is just as easy to start the car and turn on the defrosters. The windshield is usually clear by the time you remove the snow.

Of course, the best thing would be to have a garage.
I have a 2 car garage. I'm the third.

moreluck

golden ticket member
Our hoa doesn't allow 'sheds' either, but Sears sells those lower storage units...about the size of a chest freezer...below the wall level and we have several of those, freeing up garage space. Some are filled with Xmas lights, tools etc.