wiring up 12volt power source

Status
Not open for further replies.

upssup

Wiring in a radio is an unauthorized modification that can get you and your mechanic fired. As an Automotive Supervisor this is a my pet peeve. Some of these newer cars can develop serious electrical problems by adding to the electrical system. Not to mention if a fire were to occur, such has happened in the past.

P

pickup

Sears sells a really great radio, gets excellent reception, uses a 19.2 volt drill battery, it will run for 14 hours continually, on a single one hour charge. It sounds good, even in a package car that rattles. It's small, and bungee cords down to the dash really well. They are about 30 bucks, I'd say spend the extra 3 bucks for the 3 year Craftsman warrenty, and use your drill battery, or buy one at Sears. They are a real good deal.

For years I used a radio shack radio with a power source that plugged into the lighter of a sprinter. The Craftsman radio is so much better. No wires, sounds better, smaller.

I wouldn't mess with the wiring on a package car. Most of the package cars' wiring are not much to brag about, without having you try to tap into it. And, I noticed a memo about six months ago to the mechanics to remove any and all power jacks, non-factory lighter power sources, or any unapproved wiring modifications. I believe they have done that in our building to a couple cars where the drivers had installed a power plug.

I went to the sears website and looked up that radio , I see that you can hook up an ipod player into the radio, that is cool. 30 bucks. that is good too. weighs two pounds that's cool. I'll check it out next week and see if the recharger and battery are included.

below product description:

Product Description
Built to perform in the toughest circumstances, this unit is much more than a radio. Complete with AM/FM radio, 7 weather-band frequencies, MP3 connection with 10 in. MP3 cable and digital display. Uses C3 19.2 volt battery pack. Offers 7+ hours of run time. 2 lbs.
AM/FM/Weather Band (7 weather channels)
PLL Digital Tuning - Tuning and volume knobs; tuning knob also controls seek function
Low voltage indicator, auxiliary input jack
MP3 Player input; Bass port, 92mm - 8 ohm; 3-watt speaker
Includes radio, auxiliary cable and owner's manual

screamin chicken

I have a Dewalt contractors radio that will also play my IPOD it works great, I leave it in the back and crank it and I am able to hear while I drive. I also have a Black an Decker Power 1000 this is my new one I can't wait to try it out. This one plays IPODS, 2 power sources so u can charge your cell, to led lights and it also has a internal battery so you just plug it up and it charges. I can tell you with my DEWALT I can crank it from 9 until I am done with no problems with the battery dying each day.

over9five

Staff member
Wiring in a radio is an unauthorized modification that can get you and your mechanic fired. As an Automotive Supervisor this is a my pet peeve. Some of these newer cars can develop serious electrical problems by adding to the electrical system. Not to mention if a fire were to occur, such has happened in the past.

First.....I agree that if it's against the rules to hook up a radio to the PC, don't do it!

But don't give us some idiotic reason like it will cause electrical problems and fires. That's just nonsense. A properly installed, fused radio will not cause problems or fires in any vehicle made in the last 30 years. We install fans, cameras, and monitors to PCS with no problems or fires. A radio is no different.

Be honest.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
If you are in an older pkg car (GMC P-5, P8, P10 with manual steering) there is a toggle switch above the door that operates the dome light. This is a 3-way switch; one of the 3 pins behind it is always hot, regardless of whether the key is in the ignition or not. Bite onto this pin with an alligator clip for your positive, and use the metal plate that the toggle switch is mounted on for your ground wire clip. Using a bulldog paper clamp, route your wires over the door and down to the dash for your radio. MAKE SURE to install a 5w inline fuse on your hot wire.

If you are in a newer car (Freightliner P-7, P10, P-12) there is a factory installed power terminal under the dash that is wired directly to the battery; it has a red positive and black negative bolt. This is fused, and the fuse is usually not installed; it takes an newer, automotive blade-type fuse and the plastic fuse holder is directly on top of the battery under the passenger side step. You may have to dig around a bit but you will find it, look for the auxiliary power line that is connected to the positive wire of the battery and there will be an inline fuse on it.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Not to brag or anything, but, I've been known to work, listen to the radio, and chew gum at the same time.:wink2:

images

moreluck

golden ticket member
Originally Posted by Dizzee
Not to brag or anything, but, I've been known to work, listen to the radio, and chew gum at the same time.:wink2:

I tend to trip when I try doing that.

Fullhouse

I really like the craftsman radio. I bought one last year just to listen to the commentary about the election. Now I am addicted. I wonder sometimes how I did that job so many years without a radio. Any how I drive a P57 and I place my radio on top of my shifter. The shifter is on the dash, very easy to reach and turn the volume up or down. I use a bungee cord to hold it in place. The shifter box has 2 notches at the bottom that I use to attach the hooks of the bungee cord. I love it, customers would rather hear my talk radio instead of the Fed Ex mans rap music!:happy-very:

Ok,I looked it up on the internet. Here is how to do it. Use a piece of coathanger to fashion a ground point,twist around a bolt. The use a piece of wire and touch it around until it sparks,this will be the positive attach point. Run wires to your radio and it music time.

Heres a diagram

poster80884759.jpg

rod

Retired 22 years
Ok,I looked it up on the internet. Here is how to do it. Use a piece of coathanger to fashion a ground point,twist around a bolt. The use a piece of wire and touch it around until it sparks,this will be the positive attach point. Run wires to your radio and it music time.

Heres a diagram

poster80884759.jpg

That looks kind of like my old PC after a wire came off the alternator and shorted out. You should have seen the team of goons crawling under the dash trying to find where I had hooked up a radio. I politely showed them the broken wire on the alternator and you could actually hear the wind being knocked out of their sails.

Highwayman

You know they could put hookups in the PCs for you guys. Supervisor comments not withstanding. Look in a tractor. Right there on the dash Pos and Neg hookups (also left and right speakers too).Always fuse + and- if you hook up wrong you won't burn up radio or truck, fuses are cheap.:happy2:

Status
Not open for further replies.