Wisdom, Knowledge,Talent; And it's all, right here, at the Cafe.

sexyupsman

Ok everyone, I must have misread the post. I thought Steve wanted more personal information about ourself and I was trying to work with what I read on other peoples replies. Like, I like Pizza or I am a good dad. And it seems to have blown up! I was trying to be funny yet candid at the same time. Why it upsets people so much I do not know. I should just read and not reply. I am not mad but like I said Wow! I may not work for UPS but I spend alot of time dealing with it that is why I got on this site in the first place. I did not know people would get so twisted. :peaceful:

Ms.PacMan

Steve - I did the same thing as your daughter for different reasons. My dad had cancer and no way was I going to risk going off to college if he might die (which he did). Good for her that she got back on track.

BM / Over9.5 - FAFSA pretty much told us right after that I didn't qualify for any free money but I figured as much.

Upstate - private and public. The decision will come down to the money. I don't think it's wise for him to graduate too heavily in debt. Was thinking 15-20K would be alright but more would be a hardship I think. I've heard that private colleges do a lot for you the first couple yrs to lure you in then not so much the last 2 yrs - true?

Sexy - Buck up buckaroo! I think you would be missed if you stopped posting. It's not everyday that we have a #1 fan. UPS is a tough environment in every aspect and we all develop a wicked sense of humor and thick skin because of it. Just think of what an insight you are getting into Daddy's life!

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Upstate - private and public. The decision will come down to the money. I don't think it's wise for him to graduate too heavily in debt. Was thinking 15-20K would be alright but more would be a hardship I think.

That was our thought as well which is why the ex and I split her first year and then we did 1/3 for the remaining 3. We used the ex's income for the FAFSA as it was lower than mine (not by much) and Megan received a couple of scholarships so it worked out to about $10K/yr out of pocket for a school that charges $28K/yr and she graduated with about $15K of student loans, which I had been paying but she has since taken over as of the first of the year as she has a good job as a teacher

I've heard that private colleges do a lot for you the first couple yrs to lure you in then not so much the last 2 yrs - true?
Not in Megan's case. Everyone seemed to go out of their way to help her when needed and she had no problem when she asked for letters of reference before graduation.

Public vs private?

A lot of factors come in to play when making this decision but the number one is money. It is very hard to justify $100K or more for 4 years of college when you can go to a state school for roughly 1/4 to 1/2 of that. An increasing number of students are deciding to live at home, which does save money but, to me, part of the college experience is living in the dorm. Commuting students tend to miss out on a lot of the college experience.

Another possiblity is starting at a 2 year school and then transferring to a 4 yr. Our local 2 yr school, which my son attends, offers a direct transfer with full credit to our local 4 yr school. The 2 yr school charges about $4K/yr. Is the quality of education the same as 4 yr school? No, but the gap is narrowing and it is a good start.

sexyupsman

Steve - I did the same thing as your daughter for different reasons. My dad had cancer and no way was I going to risk going off to college if he might die (which he did). Good for her that she got back on track.

BM / Over9.5 - FAFSA pretty much told us right after that I didn't qualify for any free money but I figured as much.

Upstate - private and public. The decision will come down to the money. I don't think it's wise for him to graduate too heavily in debt. Was thinking 15-20K would be alright but more would be a hardship I think. I've heard that private colleges do a lot for you the first couple yrs to lure you in then not so much the last 2 yrs - true?

Sexy - Buck up buckaroo! I think you would be missed if you stopped posting. It's not everyday that we have a #1 fan. UPS is a tough environment in every aspect and we all develop a wicked sense of humor and thick skin because of it. Just think of what an insight you are getting into Daddy's life!
Thanks Ms. P! I am not going to stop posting here I was just thrown. I will have to read the orignal posts better next time. I love this site and UPS and everyone can say whatever, I have thick skin. Kinda!

satellitedriver

Re: Anyone esle up for a change?

I was up to 327. I hit a plateau at 280. Then we got telematics and because I walk off more stops to avoid backing, I'm down to 272.:happy2: I'm aiming for 250 and If I hit that, I'm gonna see where I can go from there. I might have to change my name to Not So Big Babooba!
I knew you could do it.
As I told you, 250 is going to be your fighting weight.
When you hit that goal, we will have to start working on Oreo.:peaceful:
Oreo should be at 15 to 17lbs and learn to type better.:happy2:

Sammie

I fill out that ^$&^#%! FAFSA every year, and have yet to get anything from it.

This is the truth. Quit your job, go on welfare and your kids will go to college for free.

This is why my brat decided to let Uncle Sam foot the bill for college. But in a way, what a price to pay...

Sammie

God bless him, he has my respect.

Thank you, Over. I'm gonna miss the hell out of him, but what do you do?

LOL @ Brat!

Steve, you've got to know what I mean. And if not, you're incredibly
lucky. "Brat" as in the magical age when they suddenly know everything about everything and we parents are dumber than squat. When the answers to our questions consist of one word, if we're lucky. God knows I didn't think I knew it all at 18!!!

Teenager.jpg

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Thank you, Over. I'm gonna miss the hell out of him, but what do you do?

Steve, you've got to know what I mean. And if not, you're incredibly
lucky. "Brat" as in the magical age when they suddenly know everything about everything and we parents are dumber than squat. When the answers to our questions consist of one word, if we're lucky. God knows I didn't think I knew it all at 18!!!

My eldest is 19. I'm with you, sistah, I'm hearing you loud and clear. If you go over to my blog (link here and in my signature), you'll be able to see pictures of her, her latest "project" and read my absolute rant.:biting:

If that's tall, you'd hate to stand next to me... 6'5" Almost pushing 6'6"...

You're towering over me.

Someone on another forum had it as their avatar... I just had to [-]steal[/-] it.

You mean borrow, for a very long time.:wink2:

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Had time for a nap today, so I'm feeling really rested. When I woke up I started thinking about this thread. I was actually looking for nuggets of wisdom. Those little things that help us get through the day. Things we know, like photography, sewing, bowling, etc...

Earlier I shared a bit of my history. Growing up, and how I learned to fit in. I think that we learn things in life on a daily basis. Some of those things are apparent, and some don't dawn on us till later.

Today, as I lay in bed, I thought about such a lesson I learned. Ever since I was young, I've always had this desire to save/protect people. This actually comes from the way I grew up, but that's another story. In another thread, I spoke about a guy getting pickpocketed, and how I yelled at the pickpocket to get his hand out of the guy's pocket.

What I didn't tell you about that story, was that the pickpocket (pp) got really upset at me. This didn't bother me at all, as I figured I would win the fight. What I didn't realize, is that he was with 3 other people, all of whom gathered at the rear of the train car, in which we were riding. After doing a little math, I left that car, moving to the next, hoping they wouldn't follow. They followed! I continued moving from train car to train car, finally reaching the very first car.

At this point I was at a dead end, with these 4 guys approaching, and had no choice, but to stand my ground. I was surrounded and one guy kicked me in the stomach. As the other guys closed in, a huge Jamaican guy jumped in between us, asking what was going on. The 4 guys started accusing me, of being the (pp). I yelled that I wasn't and they were actually the bad guys. At the next stop, the four guys scowled at me, as I said, let's wait for a cop, I'm sure the police can settle this matter. The guys left the train after I said this. I breathed a sigh of relief, as I thanked the big guy for helping me.

The moral of the story is, never eat cold Chinese food before going to bed. It'll give you nightmares, LOL.