Wkmac question!

wkmac

Yes! Northern Tool or Grainger if you have one around. Otherwise, Home Depot, Lowe's or even Sear's is a good alternative. Do you ever pull test your pop-off valve? (The little bronze thingy below the pressure contactor) Do so as it's a very important safety feature.

Also, do you use the compressor for painting or air tools only? If air tools only, consider a lubricator/regulator. I've got a 7.5 HP, 80 gal. vertical Air Comp and one thing I did is remove the bottom petcock drain valve and got a auto drain system and plumbed in to outside vent. No more worrying about water buildup in A/C tank but it's a blast when the neighbor dog thinks he's gonna fertilize your yard and this big HISS screams at him. First time I thought the dog had been shot from all the screaming but then realize the A/C was venting. :happy-very: Never saw that dog again either.

BTW: I'm selling the A/C in case you're interested. Freight bills on you! :wink2: I've lost my shop for good as it's now a music studio. I'm not complaining to much as this too has it's perks.

over9five

Staff member
OK, I'll order one up. I really only use it for air tools, and I have not added the lubricator. Probably should, as I seem to go thru a lot of impact wrenches. I drop some oil into them every time I use them, but they don't seem to last long. Keep thinking I should spend the bucks and get a really good one, but I'm too cheap!

I have tried the pop valve, and I do drain the petcock.

Thanks guys!

bbsam

Staff member
Oh man. I've got a compressor in the garage that I haven't drained in 5 years. How dangerous is draining it now?

rod

Retired 22 years
Oh man. I've got a compressor in the garage that I haven't drained in 5 years. How dangerous is draining it now?

Just be prepared for the ugliest rusty water you ever saw. Pull your compressor outside if possible because that rusty water will permanently stain anything in comes in contact with.

wkmac

bbsam,

Drain the air off your tank and in your case I'd unscrew the petcock from the tank to completely drain it. When you put the petcock back in, use teflon tape or pipe dope to seal the threads. After that just open the petcock to bleed off until the air clears of water after each use and you should be good.

wkmac

OK, I'll order one up. I really only use it for air tools, and I have not added the lubricator. Probably should, as I seem to go thru a lot of impact wrenches. I drop some oil into them every time I use them, but they don't seem to last long. Keep thinking I should spend the bucks and get a really good one, but I'm too cheap!

I have tried the pop valve, and I do drain the petcock.

Thanks guys!

You can also add oil directly to the tool by putting a couple of drops of tool oil into the tool air connector at every use. This will also help keep the tool up and going for a long time. Marvel Mystery oil works good.

rod

Retired 22 years
You can also add oil directly to the tool by putting a couple of drops of tool oil into the tool air connector at every use. This will also help keep the tool up and going for a long time. Marvel Mystery oil works good.

I do this every time I use any air tool. I've never had an air tool go bad and I've had the same impact wrench for probably 30 years

over9five

Staff member
Anyone have any suggestions for a good impact wrench? I've had a CH that I think came with my compressor. When that died I got a Husky at Home Depot. Both you can literally grab the socket and stop it from turning.
And I always drop oil into them before using. Am I expecting too much from them? I bet they didn't last 5 years. Am I buying too cheap?

rod

Retired 22 years
I would say don't cheap out on an impact wrench. I have some cheap Campbell-Hausfeld air tools (cut-off, air chisel, 3/8 drive ratchet) and they seem to do the job but I used a C-H impact at a friends house one day and wasn't impressed with it. I have an old Ingersoll- Rand 1/2 inch that is 10 pounds heavier than a cow but it can either loosen a nut or break it off - depending on what it is set on.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
Rod is right, Ingersoll-Rand is the best. Not cheap, I wish I had one. I used to have a shipper named Howard Hurd, he tricked out Ingersoll-Rand impact wrenches for Nascar. Everybody has used his pit tools for decades, he never had to advertise them. He and now his grandson just went around to all the races and sold them.

wkmac

Rod is right, Ingersoll-Rand is the best. Not cheap, I wish I had one. I used to have a shipper named Howard Hurd, he tricked out Ingersoll-Rand impact wrenches for Nascar. Everybody has used his pit tools for decades, he never had to advertise them. He and now his grandson just went around to all the races and sold them.

I agree on the ingersoll-rand observation but when you talk about NASCAR and air tools, just remember they don't use air but compressed nitrogen gas because it has 0 moisture content for one. Even the tires in NASCAR are nitrogen filled in order to better assure a more consistent tire diameter at operating temp. I'm also aware of Hurd's tools and your observation is also correct there.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
I agree on the ingersoll-rand observation but when you talk about NASCAR and air tools, just remember they don't use air but compressed nitrogen gas because it has 0 moisture content for one. Even the tires in NASCAR are nitrogen filled in order to better assure a more consistent tire diameter at operating temp. I'm also aware of Hurd's tools and your observation is also correct there.

Yeap, I knew they run nitrogen through them just for the reason you stated. I used to watch Howard Hurd at his house using a micrometer on his impact wrenches after his modifications. He did a little extra machining to them so they could spin faster to handle 200 PSI. He may have added ball bearings to the shaft, I can't remember. It got to where he was building so many of them, he had to outsource some of the machine work, but he would take each one apart to check it out. His grandson, Jim Hurd, moved the basement shop to a commercial business in Hampton, Ga. located right before you get to Atlanta Motor Speedway. I have always put oil in my impact drivers too. Sometimes I ran an inline oiler below the handle, or will take out the little hex plug in the tool body and fill it.

wkmac

Yeap, I knew they run nitrogen through them just for the reason you stated. I used to watch Howard Hurd at his house using a micrometer on his impact wrenches after his modifications. He did a little extra machining to them so they could spin faster to handle 200 PSI. He may have added ball bearings to the shaft, I can't remember. It got to where he was building so many of them, he had to outsource some of the machine work, but he would take each one apart to check it out. His grandson, Jim Hurd, moved the basement shop to a commercial business in Hampton, Ga. located right before you get to Atlanta Motor Speedway. I have always put oil in my impact drivers too. Sometimes I ran an inline oiler below the handle, or will take out the little hex plug in the tool body and fill it.

I'm watching the Dega race as we speak and it just crossed my mind over a NASCAR weekend how many bottles of compressed Nitrogen do they go through. Could you imagine having that NASCAR contract for the season?
$$$$$$$$$

Yikes!!!!!! 4 Wide in the turns, there's gonna be a wreck!:happy-very: