Wkmac question!

satellitedriver

Yeap, I knew they run nitrogen through them just for the reason you stated. I used to watch Howard Hurd at his house using a micrometer on his impact wrenches after his modifications. He did a little extra machining to them so they could spin faster to handle 200 PSI. He may have added ball bearings to the shaft, I can't remember. It got to where he was building so many of them, he had to outsource some of the machine work, but he would take each one apart to check it out. His grandson, Jim Hurd, moved the basement shop to a commercial business in Hampton, Ga. located right before you get to Atlanta Motor Speedway. I have always put oil in my impact drivers too. Sometimes I ran an inline oiler below the handle, or will take out the little hex plug in the tool body and fill it.
Did you provide a sales lead?

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
Did you provide a sales lead?

LOL. He already had a sheet pulling account, I picked him up at his house. He shipped them in these wooden cases at the time, this was twenty years ago and I think they cost a thousand bucks back then. He was a nice guy, he passed away when he was about eighty.

satellitedriver

LOL. He already had a sheet pulling account, I picked him up at his house. He shipped them in these wooden cases at the time, this was twenty years ago and I think they cost a thousand bucks back then. He was a nice guy, he passed away when he was about eighty.
I have a man like that on my route.
He works out of a shed, but he developed a positive ground electronic distributor for flat head Ford engines.
They said it could not be done. He did it.
It took him 20 yrs to figure out how to do it.
He rebuilds distributors for collectors and racers of flat heads.
Mr. Henry Ford Downing is 90yrs old and still sharp as a tack, and works everyday.
When I first met him in 1987, he had installed a lawn mower carb on a Dodge Ramble and preheating the gasoline- (using the engine heat)- and achieving 48 MPG.
I love my conversations with him -( on many subjects)-, but I mostly love his "garage" genius.