Woman struck by and trapped under UPS truck files lawsuit

clean hairy

I know it's not nice to say but it would probably be cheaper for UPS if she Died.
I am disappointed anyone would say this.
I sure hope no one ever says this to you or about you if you are faced with any situation involving a loved one.
Would have been better if this had not been said in the first place.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I am disappointed anyone would say this.
I sure hope no one ever says this to you or about you if you are faced with any situation involving a loved one.
Would have been better if this had not been said in the first place.

Ask any actuary and they will tell you the same.

Keep in mind that the settlement for a deceased person does not involve such things as future earnings or healthcare costs.

72 is right.

10 point

My younger brother was sitting at a stop light waiting for it to turn green when one of our feeders pulling doubles hit him from behind at 50+mph and dragged him 90 feet under the tractor before he got stopped.

My brother lived, with a broken neck, and the feeder driver lost his job.

I guess it would've been better if he would've died too so it wouldn't affect the stock price.

Does this job make us this hard hearted to post that it would be better if UPS killed someone vs taking care of their responsibilities after an accident?

Accidents happen. When you kill someone it doesn't matter to the general public that you were at fault because they just remember that a UPS driver killed someone with their truck.

10 point

Ask any actuary and they will tell you the same.

Keep in mind that the settlement for a deceased person does not involve such things as future earnings or healthcare costs.

72 is right.
Screw your actuary and your great concern for UPS payouts.

Maybe if it was one of your kids under the truck you wouldn't be enlightening everyone with your fiscal "what if" knowledge.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
You can be personally named with the employer, but the employer would have to pay it all unless the employee committed an intentional act of negligence or acted with malice a forethought. As for a personal umbrella policy, it is only needed in certain lines of work in which you are subject to personal liability and for those who have considerable assets. Homeowner policies also cover many situations in which you could be liable to another. I don't personally have an umbrella policy because i have my homeowner policy's liability jacked up to one million.

PT Car Washer

Screw your actuary and your great concern for UPS payouts.

Maybe if it was one of your kids under the truck you wouldn't be enlightening everyone with your fiscal "what if" knowledge.
Lawyers and insurance companies argue the Dollar value of a human life everyday. Sad but death is also a business decision in America.

10 point

Lawyers and insurance companies argue the Dollar value of a human life everyday. Sad but death is also a business decision in America.
So? We're all lawyers and insurance underwriters on here aren't we?

Human life is now reduced to arbitrated sums of money.

Hollow points in the big picture of life. We've become lost in the realm of compassion.

Our words are spoken from the heart. What a sad commentary.

moldsporh

Not when we're talking about a ups truck driving over a pedestrian. Get real people, all this tall about being cheaper for someone to die after being in an accident is about as thoughtless as anything I've read on here.

It's not about saving a few ups dollars, it's about the family of the critically injured, including the victim...Ups ran her over, ups pays.

I agree its real easy to say until you see your kid on a hospital bed with a tube down their throat......let that sink in for awhile.

Sometimes things are better left unsaid.

clean hairy

Maybe if it was one of your kids under the truck you wouldn't be enlightening everyone with your fiscal "what if" knowledge.[/QUOTE]

I just hope none of us or one of our Family Members is ever in a position where the EMT's or Medical staff decides it is better to just let this person die, when they have the ability to save a life.
It gets personal when I see this, as I had a Family Member in Critical condition in ICU at one time.
The Hospital Staff decided they needed more ICU beds, so moved him out of ICU.
He died the day next BECAUSE he was not getting the constant monitoring he would of had if he HAD been in ICU!
They decided it would be cheaper for the health insurance if he died than for them to pay to keep him in ICU?
Sorry for the rant, but it brought back those painful memories, I apologize.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
h1CACE99F

moldsporh

What's sick is what hospitals charge for a day in ICU. There's no justification for that except they want a payout from the insurance companies.

10 to 20 thousand dollars per day is downright BS.