Women at UPS

bsmith08

In your experiences, where do most women work when hired? I was hired about two week ago and have been working the pick line. When I was placed there, almost everyone was surprised as I was told that normally, women do not load the trucks. I have been told that most go to slide, sort aisle or small sort. I've had looked around and do not see any other women working in this capacity, but I'm not certain if this is just unique to my location. My supervisor has tried advocating for me, as he can clearly tell how difficult it is for me to keep up, and has helped me out even though he is technically not supposed to. In addition, the supervisor of the small sort aisle, where I worked for two days last week had indicated that he wants me upstairs, yet I am on the pick line for the " foreseeable" future. Moreover, I work a full time job and have been struggling to get there on time as the loaders are always the last to leave. I know that management has made reasonable accommodations for some, who need to be out for employment and/or school. I really would like to stay because I like the hours in general and it's pretty mindless in relation to what I do at my other job. However, I can not see me lasting through the busy times, if I am still loading trucks. I am not interested in being the GI Jane of UPS

Sent using BrownCafe App

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
All these years women have fought for equal rights and equal pay for the same job. And along comes this woman who thinks accommodations should be made for her BECAUSE she is a woman. SMDH.

On behalf of us women who work our butts off every day to prove that we can do the same job as the guys, maybe you should find a nice cushy job elsewhere.

All these years women have fought for equal rights and equal pay for the same job. And along comes this woman who thinks accommodations should be made for her BECAUSE she is a woman. SMDH.

On behalf of us women who work our butts off every day to prove that we can do the same job as the guys, maybe you should find a nice cushy job elsewhere.
How many decades? have you been proving that point! Tell It like it is.

Ive worked with many women (a fe could probably kick my :censored2:)

They all have my complete respect.

jumpman23

Oh Yeah

Good post OP:likeit:

Junkguy

I saw women in all capacities during my three decades there. If you don't want to lift packages it would seem you applied to the wrong place. I would keep my day job. Why is everyone looking for more jobs? Another poster that works full-time was looking for another job. Here's a novel idea, live within your means and enjoy some time at home with your friends or family. I so would have liked to spend time with my wife and daughter but I was was on the road some 10 to 12 hours per day. That used to be the norm for some of you young guys that whine about 9.5. 9.5 would have been great. They used to bring replacements out to our truck when we hit 60 hours. Good luck to you, maybe you'll find what you want.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
In your experiences, where do most women work when hired? I was hired about two week ago and have been working the pick line. When I was placed there, almost everyone was surprised as I was told that normally, women do not load the trucks. I have been told that most go to slide, sort aisle or small sort. I've had looked around and do not see any other women working in this capacity, but I'm not certain if this is just unique to my location. My supervisor has tried advocating for me, as he can clearly tell how difficult it is for me to keep up, and has helped me out even though he is technically not supposed to. In addition, the supervisor of the small sort aisle, where I worked for two days last week had indicated that he wants me upstairs, yet I am on the pick line for the " foreseeable" future. Moreover, I work a full time job and have been struggling to get there on time as the loaders are always the last to leave. I know that management has made reasonable accommodations for some, who need to be out for employment and/or school. I really would like to stay because I like the hours in general and it's pretty mindless in relation to what I do at my other job. However, I can not see me lasting through the busy times, if I am still loading trucks. I am not interested in being the GI Jane of UPS

Sent using BrownCafe App
Please, you've worked here five minutes..dazzle me with your advice. And waaah. I'm new, have breasts and boxes are heavy..where are my special accommodations?? The one thing I enjoy about UPS is I am treated the same as every other guy I work next to....I expect no special treatment...nor would I receive it if I asked. I'm a chick and have been a loader for 8 years...and I work with guys half my age. Don't let the door hit you on the way out!

oldngray

nowhere special
What am I ..Chopped liver? lol
ChoppedLiver.jpg

bsmith08

Wow! That was rude and uncalled for and you didn't bother to answer the question. At your hub, how common is it for women to be on load? It's not common on my hub and was just trying to get a feel for what happens at other locations. If you can't be constructive feedback then STFU please and don't comment. By the way, I have no interest in being treated like a man, considering I'm a Woman! I have no problem striving to be the smartest, but I am not in a race to be as physically strong as a man..If you want to keep up with the men, be my guest. I'm guessing you're the manly type! Again, I'm not trying to be GI Jane and do what is that men do...... I'm perfectly fine being in the small sort with 98% of the women at my hub.... So simmer the hell down please and thank you.

Sent using BrownCafe App

bsmith08

You people are funny. Thanks to those who actually bothered to answer without all of the judgment associated with it. By the way, it's not called living beyond means, it's called sending a kid to college, you prick

Sent using BrownCafe App

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Wow! That was rude and uncalled for and you didn't bother to answer the question. At your hub, how common is it for women to be on load? It's not common on my hub and was just trying to get a feel for what happens at other locations. If you can't be constructive feedback then STFU please and don't comment. By the way, I have no interest in being treated like a man, considering I'm a Woman! I have no problem striving to be the smartest, but I am not in a race to be as physically strong as a man..If you want to keep up with the men, be my guest. I'm guessing you're the manly type! Again, I'm not trying to be GI Jane and do what is that men do...... I'm perfectly fine being in the small sort with 98% of the women at my hub.... So simmer the hell down please and thank you.

Sent using BrownCafe App
Uncalled for? I spoke the truth. If you are looking for special accommendations because you are lacking an appendage between your legs...you are working for the wrong company!! I don't GAF about keeping up with the men. I am paid to do a job...quite well, I might add...and my job involving lifting heavy things! Which incidentally, keeps me in good shape...that's primarily why I stay loading. Well, that and SS is like high school.

Small sort is a seniority position....they don't put newbies there. Didn't HR explain to you that being a package handler requires you to move packages that average 25-35 lbs with a max of 150lbs? And your original post set women's lib back about 5 years.

Pass the popcorn TxFeeder ;)

Last edited:

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
You people are funny. Thanks to those who actually bothered to answer without all of the judgment associated with it. By the way, it's not called living beyond means, it's called sending a kid to college, you prick

Sent using BrownCafe App

Not sure which one of us you were responding to so I'll chime in with BB58.

I'm SO glad I don't work with you. I always hated working with females like you who acted so helpless to get what they wanted in life. It has nothing to do with wanting to be a man or being manly. Trust me, I am very much a woman and damn good at it. It has to do with respect for yourself and the guys you work with. If you get paid the same as them for doing the job why should ANY accommodations be made for you because you're a woman? That is a man's job! It's physically demanding, period. Women were able to get in because they FOUGHT for the right. And most women do it well. Some women, like you, need to go back in the office, blowing the boss under his desk, and not get your manicured nails dirty.

Last edited:

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Not sure which one of us you were responding to so I'll chime in with BB58.

I'm SO glad I don't work with you. I always hated working with females like you who acted so helpless to get what they wanted in life. It has nothing to do with wanting to be a man or being manly. Trust me, I am very much a woman and damn good at it. It has to do with respect for yourself and the guys you work with. If you get paid the same as them for doing the job why should ANY accommodations be made for you because your a woman? That is a man's job! It's physically demanding period. Women were able to get in because they FOUGHT for the right. And most women do it well. Some women, like you, need to go back in the office, blowing the boss under his desk, and not get your manicured nails dirty.
How do you think she got the job to begin with? There was an oral exam on her application...special aaccommendations, indeed...lol