Women in Combat roles

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I had a little girl police officer show up when I got robbed, but she was lean, mean and I wouldnt mess with her, and very pretty, and efficient. . But maybe its just me, I do not think most women are as strong as men. In my area of work, a female officer was beat in a bar, when called to break up a brawl. Would a man have received the same? Possibly, but I think a 6 ft man has a fighting chance. But go for it if yo can do it. part of the reason so many women dont make it at UPS is people tell them they cant. In my building its 77-3

rod

Retired 22 years
Having done my thing in the US Army that included a year with a mechanize infantry unit in Vietnam I say more power to them. They wanted equal rights and now they have them. In fact I will go so far as to say let them fight the next half dozen wars by themselves and let the guys stay home. I bet the USA wouldn't be so quick to go jump into every 3rd world countries problems if we were just sending the gals. I could name a bunch of women in Washington D.C. right now who I would put on the 1st plane out.

texan

So we shouldn't have female police officers?
Good point BrownArmy.

But do female and male police officers spend 1 year to 4 years together 24 hours each day, bathing, eating,
training, sleeping etc?

Last post from me on this subject, as I seem like one of the nay sayers.

There is a comradery and cohesivness in combat units.

Men act differently with and around women.

I lived it on both sides 24 hours, months and months at a time.

One side is US Army all male unit, and US Army mixed units.

The Outstanding Mod Mr. Jones has his Marine background. He seems open to it.

To me, for a women to make it and be a Marine, they are G.I. Janes to begin with.

Some, and more than a few of the women that make it through US Army basic and AIT were not G.I. Janes.

When I speak of G.I. Janes I refer to the 10 to 20 per cent of women that are warriors and
strong, and can kick your butt, as portrayed by Demi Moore in the movie.

I also have seen men that barely made it through training and are a burden to the unit.

So I say I am not for it. Guess I am a dinosaur.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmBa2S_5QEU

Last edited:

moreluck

golden ticket member
EngleB20130126_low.jpg

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Good point BrownArmy.

But do female and male police officers spend 1 year to 4 years together 24 hours each day, bathing, eating,
training, sleeping etc?

Last post from me on this subject, as I seem like one of the nay sayers.

There is a comradery and cohesivness in combat units.

Men act differently with and around women.

I lived it on both sides 24 hours, months and months at a time.

One side is US Army all male unit, and US Army mixed units.

The Outstanding Mod Mr. Jones has his Marine background. He seems open to it.

To me, for a women to make it and be a Marine, they are G.I. Janes to begin with.

Some, and more than a few of the women that make it through US Army basic and AIT were not G.I. Janes.

When I speak of G.I. Janes I refer to the 10 to 20 per cent of women that are warriors and
strong, and can kick your butt, as portrayed by Demi Moore in the movie.

I also have seen men that barely made it through training and are a burden to the unit.

So I say I am not for it. Guess I am a dinosaur.
I used to feel pretty much the same way you do til I met a woman who forced me to reexamine my opinions. My only thing at this point is maintaining the standards. If a woman wants to do it and can meet the standards, then more power to her.

[video=youtube;wAy7eDS8JY0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=wAy7eDS8JY0[/video]

island1fox

I would feel much better if we tried these socially correct experiments in the NFL, the NBA and the NHL before the military. Give me a at least a few Pro-bowl female linebackers and then we can talk.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I would feel much better if we tried these socially correct experiments in the NFL, the NBA and the NHL before the military. Give me a at least a few Pro-bowl female linebackers and then we can talk.

Island, do you remember when Jack Tatum (Raiders) hit Daryl Stingley (Patriots) during a preseason game? The hit, which was 100% legal (but certainly a cheap shot) left Stingley paralyzed. Can you imagine the reaction had it been Darcy Stingley?

My daughter was one of 3 women on the men's hockey team at the College of St Rose. They were playing a team from New Jersey when one of their players decided to show just how macho he was by taking a run at her next to the boards. She ended up going to the ER to be checked for a possible concussion. I wasn't there but thankfully her teammates stepped up and took care of that guy.

I would not want my daughter in a combat role but would respect her wishes if it were something that she wanted.

av8torntn

I used to feel pretty much the same way you do til I met a woman who forced me to reexamine my opinions. My only thing at this point is maintaining the standards. If a woman wants to do it and can meet the standards, then more power to her.

Gen. Martin Dempsey, the chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, said Thursday that with women now eligible to fill combat roles in the military, commanders must justify why any woman might be excluded – and, if women can’t meet any unit’s standard, the Pentagon will ask: “Does it really have to be that high?”
Link

The Joint Chiefs Chairman seems to disagree with the outgoing Secretary and the Sgt. Maj. about not changing standards even though he has backtracked just a tad since then. I am fairly skeptical this can be done successfully while maintaining effectiveness. Only time will tell.

moreluck

golden ticket member
remember the firemen fiasco.....they lowered the standards.......

Maintaining the levels (like Jones says) is the key!!

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Honestly I don't see where they would need to change any physical standards, we're not talking about Ranger School or Force Recon. Regular infantry training is tough but it's not designed for supermen or anything like that, most guys can make it through just fine. A girl would be have to be tougher than average but there's nothing in the training that a tough motivated woman couldn't do. I honestly don't think a lot of enlisted women are really going to want to do it (plenty of guys don't either), the ones most likely to give it a shot will probably be officers. It will be interesting.

av8torntn

Honestly I don't see where they would need to change any physical standards, we're not talking about Ranger School or Force Recon. Regular infantry training is tough but it's not designed for supermen or anything like that, most guys can make it through just fine. A girl would be have to be tougher than average but there's nothing in the training that a tough motivated woman couldn't do. I honestly don't think a lot of enlisted women are really going to want to do it (plenty of guys don't either), the ones most likely to give it a shot will probably be officers. It will be interesting.

Infantry officers need Ranger School to be competitive for promotion.

wkmac

So with women on the front lines, seems the worry of the gay issue just got minimized. I wonder if the gays will oppose in order to protect what they might perceive as a monopoly?

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Infantry officers need Ranger School to be competitive for promotion.
Army officers in general need Ranger School to be competitive, I'm pretty sure that they were already looking at allowing slots for female officers before this just for that reason. Lifting the combat exclusion might make that a moot point though.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
So with women on the front lines, seems the worry of the gay issue just got minimized. I wonder if the gays will oppose in order to protect what they might perceive as a monopoly?
Hey, at least no one will accuse them of rape :wink2: