Women preloaders...

IWorkAsDirected

Outa browns on 04/30/09
Is that really fair? Equal work, equal pay? Why should I pay her the same as the guy next to her for doing more work everyday?

My manager is already on my case for running too many hours on my belt. Its not going to help having someone load half as much as anyone else.

BECAUSE the contract says "The company must take into consideration the age and physical ability of employees"!!!! THAT's why!!

UPS Lifer

Dillweed,
This sounds like a person that is a fairly new employee. I was made a training manager for the West Coast Regional Airport. There are 7 operations with approx 1500 employees. I was put there because my operation had low turnover. Every week I was dealing with employees that were not cutting it for one reason or another. I was dealing with PT sups and FT sups that would get frustrated too easily. Their answer to everything is get rid of the employee.

Sometimes you have to sit down with the employee and ask the tough questions. You have to let them know what they are going to be dealing with and see their reaction. Sometimes these folks throw up smoke screens and it is your job to get through that so that you can make the best decision possible. It is all part of the communication process and learning why this person decided to work here, what they are after, what you are looking for and how the goal is going to be met.

HazMatMan

When I applied for the job, the newspaper ad said "must be able to lift up to 70 pounds by yourself" If this chick can't handle it she should be cut, hey I know some chicks could lift 70 pounds by themselves, those are the ones UPS wants..

dillweed

Dillweed,
This sounds like a person that is a fairly new employee. I was made a training manager for the West Coast Regional Airport. There are 7 operations with approx 1500 employees. I was put there because my operation had low turnover. Every week I was dealing with employees that were not cutting it for one reason or another. I was dealing with PT sups and FT sups that would get frustrated too easily. Their answer to everything is get rid of the employee.

Sometimes you have to sit down with the employee and ask the tough questions. You have to let them know what they are going to be dealing with and see their reaction. Sometimes these folks throw up smoke screens and it is your job to get through that so that you can make the best decision possible. It is all part of the communication process and learning why this person decided to work here, what they are after, what you are looking for and how the goal is going to be met.

lifer, thanks for explaining your procedure more fully. After reading your first post I felt it was a little rough but your tactic of talking with the empoyee and making sure they understand what's expected is fair enough. What pushed my button was letting the employee know that they are dragging down the entire belt. I've had some downright nasty pt sups who have gotten in my face and yelled that I was not fast enough, no one liked me and so forth. They were bullies and didn't approach me in the right way. I busted butt on the preload and kept up with most of the young guys. I wanted to succeed and didn't need some snot nosed kid telling me how worthless I was.

Sounds like you sat down with your employees in private and had a genuine conversation with them. I've always respected and enjoyed your posts and admire your ability to handle people with respect.

Thanks for not slamming me to pieces and sorry if I offended you. Naw, you don't get offended too easily or you wouldn't be where you are. :wink2:

Pink Belt, you said, "I felt bad, so I left and told someone to help her." That's effective...who did you have help her, one of the guys on the belt who are already harboring ill will towards her?

Did you document her training period during her 30 days? Did you or a training supervisor work with her to show her the correct methods? Or give her some of the tricks to make the job a little easier? Was she given the opportunity to have a graduated work load? Or was she put in the trailers for the entire sort? You need to have a heart to heart with her...present the facts...production numbers, expectations, etc. Document the process.

I was hired on the preload, was the token female and it sucked. Every day was a challenge including dealing with the part-time sups who loved to yell, the guys who thought it would be fun to put all the missorts in my cages to see how I could dig out on my own, or when my load charts would disappear on a regular basis (this was before PAS).

Fast forward 20 years and it seems like some things haven't changed. Please work with her and help her be successful. She might be your boss one day.

diesel96

In my 20 yrs in that god awful pkg car, my best preloader was a woman,
(and she wasn't a big softball jock girl neither, if you know what I'm hinting at.) She had a Tiny little frame, and her co-workers knew to stay out of her way. But being well liked and not dragging anchor, her co-workers didn't mind helping her with the over 70's. I don't think singling out women is your beef cause this problem can just as well be a man. Hopefully over time some conditioning, experience and confidence will show improvement and better acceptance with co-workers and mngmt.
Good Luck....This is why you get to wear the polo shirts and earn the big bucks (I mean stock options).

paidslave

Is that really fair? Equal work, equal pay? Why should I pay her the same as the guy next to her for doing more work everyday?

My manager is already on my case for running too many hours on my belt. Its not going to help having someone load half as much as anyone else.

You need to get out of that mind set, equal pay equal work. Like a poster said, You have to take into consideration the age and Physical condition of the employees or you will and may get into lots of trouble with a lawsuit!....It says it right there you know she is not a PHYSICALLY strong as a man....Law first, contract second, and last your, imaginary numbers!

It all averages out pal and it sounds like you are sol! Thats what I was always told......If she is doing the best she can possible do and you harrass her I think you might have a problem with a harassment grievance at the minimum!

How many women loaders do you have?

magoo57

Supercool, as I read Pinky's post, he can't send her to another part of the operation. i certainly had situations where I tried to get rid of some dead weight. I wasn't able to. I had to suck it up and get the job done with the people that God and UPS gave me. And damned if I didn't do it.If she is trying and so concerned about her job that she is crying in frustration, THAT'S the exact person I want on my team. It's called leadership.If you have faith to move a mountain, remember to bring your shovel and start digging.

G

Greatful Driver

I am a coverage driver and I'll tell you the women in our building I wouldn't trade for anything. They do such a perfect job on the cars they load. I always tell the drivers that I cover for how lucky they are to have these women compared to some of the other areas I cover.

Griff

If she's worth her weight, she will request her shop steward be present in the "sit down" meeting all you goons are planning. You've made it pretty clear that you're going to hint or outright threaten her job. Here's a novel idea for UPS Lifer and anyone else here who thinks they can mold anyone into anything: tell HR people to make people prove they can meet the companies lifting requirements before you hire them. There's no such thing as weight lifting discrimination, it's not her fault that UPS is obsessed with meeting token quotas and hellbent on proving diversity.

P.S. -- I in no way believe UPS is a "man-only" world. I have nothing but respect for female Teamsters. However, after working at UPS for 7 years and watching them hire people who clearly cannot do this kind of work gets very annoying. Some people are cutout for physical labor and others aren't, put a 70lb stone up in the HR office and solve the problem.

cakes87

I have a woman on my belt and she works great, but yea I think during the hiring process they should have like a demo room with boxes and stuff and just have them try it out, some of these people who come through its just like "what are you doing here?". The worst new hires, I think, are teens, they think ups is going to pay them soooo much money and they just walk out after the first paycheck, what a pain.

UPS Lifer

Griff,

I have looked at a lot of your posts lately and you continue to mislead and misinform on a regular basis. You are only concerned with picking a war with management or any one who seems to side with management on any topic. You have gone out and told folks to disregard what management says and let them discipline you or try to fire you.

I have stayed away from responding to your posts because I know that the BC population has you figured out. :surprised: Go take your negativity to the FedEx site!!!!!! LOL! Just kidding, I wouldn't wish that on anybody!

Griff

Griff,

I have looked at a lot of your posts lately and you continue to mislead and misinform on a regular basis. You are only concerned with picking a war with management or any one who seems to side with management on any topic. You have gone out and told folks to disregard what management says and let them discipline you or try to fire you.

I have stayed away from responding to your posts because I know that the BC population has you figured out. :surprised: Go take your negativity to the FedEx site!!!!!! LOL! Just kidding, I wouldn't wish that on anybody!

Yeah, that's what I thought. Same old song and dance, point the finger at my "attitude". Derail the subject at hand and put the focus elsewhere - UPS management 101. According to you and others on this site I give horrible advice, yet I've been a marked man in my building for 3 years and I still have yet to be fired. I guess I have no freaking idea what I'm talking about, you're right.

Last edited:

Lobofan5

As my former center manager told me DURING MY INTERVIEW..... "I would hire ALL females for pre-load if I could". (this was said AFTER asking me every illegal question in the book...married? kids? want more kids? etc...)

Im speaking of loading package cars ony..right now....Fact is, most women in our building who load package cars..and I am including myself.. do a hell of a great job with a lot less attitude than a lot of the males who do the same... ( I am generalizing..I know)

Point is, and this is really all to say about it... Its an EMPLOYEE problem..not a GENDER problem...because in my 3 years of preload I have seen my SHARE of crappy %%% male employees roll through the doors at UPS...

And I will not even GET STARTED on the softball player comment... LOL.

HazMatMan

I have a woman on my belt and she works great, but yea I think during the hiring process they should have like a demo room with boxes and stuff and just have them try it out, some of these people who come through its just like "what are you doing here?". The worst new hires, I think, are teens, they think ups is going to pay them soooo much money and they just walk out after the first paycheck, what a pain.

Good idea, "demo room." like taking a test for the fire dept, or sanitation dept... If someone cannot lift 70 pounds by themselves then they do not get hired....