Women

hoser

Industrial Slob
I have a scheduled tour next friday, and I'm sorta nervous. I am a woman, only 20 years old, but i can lift things 50 pounds or more. I do it at my current job right now, but i am just nervous at the fact that i dont wanna be judged or looked at with disrespect because i am a woman applying for a male dominated job. Anyone have advice on how i should cope with this? Should i even bother going for this tour friday or am i just wasting my time? .. Oh and by the way, i am touring for the drivers helper position.
get out of this mindset that skills at certain tasks are based on gender. yes, statistically speaking, many industries are staffed by disproportionate amounts of one gender, and there are many reasons for this, but your sex has nothing to do with how well you can perform a job, and this is applicable to all industries (surrogate mother excluded).

snap out of it before you start thinking women can't be pilots, lawyers, engineers, and so forth.

(and 1 in 25 boxes are more than 50 lbs, and you have your working partner and clients who can help you out)

LKLND3380

(and 1 in 25 boxes are more than 50 lbs, and you have your working partner and clients who can help you out)

Clients??? You mean customers??? I thought that was a major NO to have customers asisiting with over 70s? It brings on a liability issue should that customer become injured.

xkingx

liabilty issue?? never heard that one before...
When I called the center one time before ...they told me to ask the customer..The woman had nails that went on and on.Definitely not the type I wanted helping me carry a 130lb box up to the 3rd floor..I waited for another driver:wink:

hoser

Industrial Slob
Clients??? You mean customers??? I thought that was a major NO to have customers asisiting with over 70s? It brings on a liability issue should that customer become injured.
Well, things must go different in Canada than in litigious Florida. In Canada, if there's something heavy, and someone like a 100lb girl is struggling with it, a customer would be happy to help out. It's just polite. :wink:

LKLND3380

liabilty issue?? never heard that one before...
When I called the center one time before ...they told me to ask the customer..The woman had nails that went on and on.Definitely not the type I wanted helping me carry a 130lb box up to the 3rd floor..I waited for another driver:wink:

What if the Customer and the driver are carrying the package, the contents shifts and the driver looses grip. The 130 lb package falls on to the customer... In the process of trying to hold the package and prevent it from falling, the customer now has a back injury as well as a broken foot...

Can you say LAWSUIT:blush:

LKLND3380

Well, things must go different in Canada than in litigious Florida. In Canada, if there's something heavy, and someone like a 100lb girl is struggling with it, a customer would be happy to help out. It's just polite. :wink:

It is just polite BUT UPS are PROFESSIONAL PACKAGE HANDLERS...

I would like to remind everyone about the UPS Teamsters Agreement...

ARTICLE 44. OVER 70 POUND SERVICE PACKAGE HANDLING
The parties agree that the health and safety of the employees are of the utmost importance. The Employer agrees that UPS management will not insist that any unsafe action be undertaken and the Union agrees to encourage its members to cooperate in effectuating the handling, pick up and delivery of parcels without exposing themselves to safety hazards.

Section 1. On Area Package Handling
No employee shall be required to handle any over 70 pound packages alone if it is the employee’s good faith belief that such handling would be a safety hazard to herself or himself. In such cases the Employer shall provide whichever the following is requested in good faith by the employee in handling over 70 pound packages.

1. Another bargaining unit employee for assistance, or

2. Appropriate lifting/handling devices, or

3. Another bargaining unit employee :thumbup1: and an appropriate lifting/handling device for handling, pick-up or delivery circumstances that require both bargaining unit help and an appropriate lifting/handling device.

In all such instances involving package car drivers, where assistance from another bargaining unit employee has been requested in good faith, both employees will be full-time employees of the bargaining unit except that air drivers or helpers, where permitted by the applicable Supplement, may be used to assist the full-time driver in the delivery and/or pickup of overweight packages. On Saturdays, air drivers may be assisted by another air driver in the delivery and/or pickup of overweight packages. A helper may be used to assist a driver in the handling of overweight packages when a helper is already on the package car in accordance with the terms of the Supplement, Rider or Addendum.

No employee will be required to solicit or accept customer assistance if it is the employee’s good faith belief that the customer is not qualified to help or that such assistance would be a safety hazard to themselves or the customer.

All new and existing employees who handle packages shall be provided with periodic training in the recognition and proper handling of over 70 pound packages.

over9five

Staff member
The contract GUARANTEES you another man in brown to help you with that over 70.

When I need help, I send a message asking for TEAMSTER help. If I don't get it, it's MISSED!

Acelesson

Primary Supervisor
I wouldnt worry. One of my best unloaders in my area is a girl. Plus as of late, the St Paul hub has a lot more girls doing the unskilled labor jobs (Load/Unload). Its just like any other job, with the proper training youll be fine!

hoser

Industrial Slob
What if the Customer and the driver are carrying the package, the contents shifts and the driver looses grip. The 130 lb package falls on to the customer... In the process of trying to hold the package and prevent it from falling, the customer now has a back injury as well as a broken foot...

Can you say LAWSUIT:blush:
Worst Case Scenario + Assessing Blame to SOMEONE + Getting some money while you're at it = Florida Mentality

Of course, let's ignore the assumed risk the customer took choosing to lift a 130 lb package after being asked for help. Or the intent of all parties involved resulting in a broken back, foot, and sporatic migranes. Or the concept of due dilligence, uberrimae fidei, or best of all, volenti non fit injuria.

It is just polite BUT UPS are PROFESSIONAL PACKAGE HANDLERS...

I would like to remind everyone about the UPS Teamsters Agreement...

ARTICLE 44. OVER 70 POUND SERVICE PACKAGE HANDLING
The parties agree that the health and safety of the employees are of the utmost importance. The Employer agrees that UPS management will not insist that any unsafe action be undertaken and the Union agrees to encourage its members to cooperate in effectuating the handling, pick up and delivery of parcels without exposing themselves to safety hazards.

Section 1. On Area Package Handling
No employee shall be required to handle any over 70 pound packages alone if it is the employee’s good faith belief that such handling would be a safety hazard to herself or himself. In such cases the Employer shall provide whichever the following is requested in good faith by the employee in handling over 70 pound packages.

1. Another bargaining unit employee for assistance, or

2. Appropriate lifting/handling devices, or

3. Another bargaining unit employee :thumbup1: and an appropriate lifting/handling device for handling, pick-up or delivery circumstances that require both bargaining unit help and an appropriate lifting/handling device.

In all such instances involving package car drivers, where assistance from another bargaining unit employee has been requested in good faith, both employees will be full-time employees of the bargaining unit except that air drivers or helpers, where permitted by the applicable Supplement, may be used to assist the full-time driver in the delivery and/or pickup of overweight packages. On Saturdays, air drivers may be assisted by another air driver in the delivery and/or pickup of overweight packages. A helper may be used to assist a driver in the handling of overweight packages when a helper is already on the package car in accordance with the terms of the Supplement, Rider or Addendum.

No employee will be required to solicit or accept customer assistance if it is the employee’s good faith belief that the customer is not qualified to help or that such assistance would be a safety hazard to themselves or the customer.

All new and existing employees who handle packages shall be provided with periodic training in the recognition and proper handling of over 70 pound packages.

You're 10 feet from the client's door, you have a 100 lb package that they need........ do what a professional would do, call for backup! Don't let them touch it, that can result in a multi-billion dollar lawsuit! Let them wait. That's what the pros do.

I mean, it's just the employee acting in good faith, right? :lol::lol::lol:

Last edited:

over9five

Staff member
"I mean, it's just the employee acting in good faith, right?"

It's the employee abiding by the mutually agreed upon contract.

LKLND3380

Worst Case Scenario + Assessing Blame to SOMEONE + Getting some money while you're at it = Florida Mentality

The UPS Mentality: Lead by example and HOLD OTHERS ACCOUNTABLE... That is taken from the ups Management Depth Of Knowledge questions...

happybob

Feeders
Please don't be afraid of being a driver helper. I've also had many a helper, male and female, and mostly notice they both work just as hard at helping the driver have a smooth holiday season. Where you work will dictate the type of foot wear to bring to work each day. Here in the N.E. I would allways encourage my helper to bring a sturdy pair of workboots/water proof boots once the snow hits the area. Running through snowbanks in sneakers will make for a very miserable day. When most helpers get hired they are told to walk at a brisk pace throughout the day. Once you get on car with the driver he/she will expect you to run to each stop and back to the truck. If you're not willing to be running all day you will find the driver will let his/her management team know that you wont work out. Usually the company will assign you to another driver in that instance and reassign another helper to the complaining driver. You may also end up working for a driver that will refuse to let you run. He/she will be looking out for your safety. Your best bet would be to ask the driver you get assigned to what he/she expects from you. A bad/lazy helper will ruin a drivers peak season, while a good one makes it easier on us to get through our hardest time of the year.

JLM

I am new to the site and joined because I wanted to see how women were viewed as P/T Package Handlers at UPS. I have my initial interview this TH and have been a little apprehensive. I am a 45 year old woman, pretty fit (walk/jog daily....work with some weights), like being active. My background has always been in an office, but I have been out of the workforce for a while and wanted to think "out of the box". From what I have read, looks like I should be OK . Any info before I go, would be great!
THANKS!
:anxious:

Rantmuse

Cog for the man
If you're looking for a good work out, you'll get it. :> The work is physically tough but you'll adjust to that. What I've never gotten used to is the dirt. You'd never believe how filthy one gets after handling boxes for a few hours. Definitely not a job for everyone. But cheers and best of luck to you.

MonavieLeaker

Bringin Teh_Lulz
I have a scheduled tour next friday, and I'm sorta nervous. I am a woman, only 20 years old, but i can lift things 50 pounds or more. I do it at my current job right now, but i am just nervous at the fact that i dont wanna be judged or looked at with disrespect because i am a woman applying for a male dominated job. Anyone have advice on how i should cope with this? Should i even bother going for this tour friday or am i just wasting my time? .. Oh and by the way, i am touring for the drivers helper position.

At my hub theres a 51 year old lady who is a sorter you'll be ok

ML(Not Missort Loader):peaceful:

helenofcalifornia

Again, water, and lots of it. And the pain in your back will go away after two or three weeks when you start to build up those back muscles you never have used before. You will be sweating bullets the first few weeks until you get the hang of it and then you will wonder "what's the deal, this is no problem." Good luck. Tell us how it went.

feeder53

ADKtrails
You will do just fine, At my terminal there are a number of women. It is not about being a man or a woman, it is about doing a job to the best of your ability. You go girl.

Rantmuse

Cog for the man
If you're looking for a good work out, you'll get it. :> The work is physically tough but you'll adjust to that. What I've never gotten used to is the dirt. You'd never believe how filthy one gets after handling boxes for a few hours. Definitely not a job for everyone. But cheers and best of luck to you.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
You will be fine if you dont act wimpy, and if you need help, smile pretty and you can get it. Ive noticed at businesses when I was new, guys would stand there and watch me struggle with a pkg, that it took two of them to get on the dock. They wanted to see what a girl would do. At that time the weight limit was 70. They may have offered a hand to the guys, but they wanted me to ask. It was a power thing. But I never had that with my UPS guys, just other businesses. Once they get to know you, if you are nice, you will be treated fine.
One place they sent me to, a steel mill, they were all hootin and hollerin, that I had to go meet Mean Gene. And he hated women in the workplace, etc. After 2 weeks he had a cup of coffee and donuts waiting for me. And still treated the other guys like crap.
Kill them with kindness, seeing grubby old men all day, is boring. A female walks in and they spark right up. Use what you think is a disadvantage, to your advantage. Dont act weak, you cant be weak, but you can be different. Dont act like tough girl, just be yourself. Makes the job funner. JMHO