Won a bid, center won't let me go out. Help?

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll
Well, at the end of August a center manager in my building told me I had won a bid. So after all the training and what not I was ready to go out as a driver. I returned from my UPS training September 12th. On sept the 15th I spoke with my HR rep and she said I'd have to wait 2 weeks before I could go out. Now, keep in mind I am not working full-time anymore (after my integrad my old boss basically fired me). Fast forward to I guess the beginning of october, and they finally let me go out for 2 days with an on road sup. However, since then I haven't gone out once, and this past week and then today, I drive the 45 minutes into work and upon checking in with my sup they tell me they don't need me for the whole week, despite the same supervisor telling me last week that they would need me this week. I have been told by my local shop stewards to not push the company TOO hard seeing as I haven't qualified as a FT driver yet and if I give them a hard time, they may try to DQ me. Do any of you guys have any thoughts on what I should do? Its bad enough that I have been out of work for 6 weeks in this GREAT economy, but what is equally annoying is when I waste my time and gas in the morning and then they just send me home.

Thanks for any advice :)
Dan

over9five

Staff member
The "GREAT" economy is what's killing you. The truth is, there's not enough work for the drivers already working. They kick me out after 8 every day, nothing else to do.

sortaisle

Livin the cardboard dream
Not much you can do bud. You're the low man on the totem pole. And your steward is right, don't be pushy. Be positive and be willing to cover other centers if you have them in your building. Talk to the other center manager's and tell them your willing to cover routes for them if they need it. At some point, you'll get your shot, but it's the wait in the meantime that'll suck. Hang in there! Oh and by the way, call in the next time instead of driving all the way in, but it seems like that's a lesson well learned at this point.

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll
Not much you can do bud. You're the low man on the totem pole. And your steward is right, don't be pushy. Be positive and be willing to cover other centers if you have them in your building. Talk to the other center manager's and tell them your willing to cover routes for them if they need it. At some point, you'll get your shot, but it's the wait in the meantime that'll suck. Hang in there! Oh and by the way, call in the next time instead of driving all the way in, but it seems like that's a lesson well learned at this point.

Thats a good idea, I hadn't thought of "offering myself" to other centers to cover. I was more pissed off this morning though, because last week they told me they would need me this week, so thats why I didn't even think about calling this morning.

:)

chev

Nightcrawler
This is a product of the economy as well as "normal" ups tactics. They really don't care what you had to give up to get a driving position: ie: another full time job. This happens with a lot of drivers in our building. They string them along because the will eventually need you, but it's "your problem" if you have to put all else on the back burner to be there when they a ready for you.
It sucks, but that is the way it is in this business.

MR_Vengeance

United Parcel Survivor
you are not the only one and sure wont be the last one. hang in there (dont know for how long) show your face one in awhile and make sure they still remember you.

Mike Hawk

If you have technically started your trial period, and do a route other than your training route I think you automatically make book. Check with your steward/BA on it but you may be able to land the spot by covering another route.
Also if they tell you to report to work and send you home they owe you your guarantee weather you work it or not.

drewed

Shankman
Even if the economy as it is, youd still probably not go out the majority of the time you get "put on the bench" until then need a cover driver, or add enough routes for you to get one.

brownrodster

Thats a good idea, I hadn't thought of "offering myself" to other centers to cover. I was more pissed off this morning though, because last week they told me they would need me this week, so thats why I didn't even think about calling this morning.

:)

Actually if you are still in probation they will only let you do your training route. You've got to get your 30 or 60 days in on the training route until you can become a cover driver... But if they do let you cover other routes while under probation and they dq you then you can grieve to get the driver job back. That'shappened here.

stopcomplete

When i started about 3 years ago they would send me home often, I asked if these days would count towards my 30? I think they got my drift and said the days i was sent home would count towards my 30 days.It was a cover driver bid.Completed my time with maybe 20 days on route.

filthpig

Nothing after 10-1 counts toward your 30 days anyway. You can expect to drive during peak, but that time will not count. Back to square 1 after peak. I would just keep doing hub work and count your blessings.

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll
Nothing after 10-1 counts toward your 30 days anyway. You can expect to drive during peak, but that time will not count. Back to square 1 after peak. I would just keep doing hub work and count your blessings.

My center must be different then, cause a guy who used to do carwash with me went out last year and he qualified at the end of November.

govols019

You smell that?

I believe that would only be true if you started on 10-1 or after.

barnyard

KTM rider
I qualified in May/June, but we did have a driver in our center that went through the same thing. Did not get 30 days before 10/1 and ended up not finishing 30 days till the following May.

TB