won a combo bid, have some questions!

menotyou

bella amicizia
We have two 22.3 combo drivers. One of them works his 40 and very rarely gets OT. The other often works more OT than I do. There have been days when due to there not being enough drivers he has been called in to ride with an on-car (and sometimes by himself) to cover an area.

I bet he gets paid to wait for work.

menotyou

bella amicizia
I worked preload, then ran air for a while. I would find things to do to keep busy. It isn't hard when trying to wrap up preload.

Dizzee

ɹǝqɯǝɯ ɹoıuǝs
I bet he gets paid to wait for work.
The 22.3's in my area that had a "gap", were bid that way. The bid stated that the job had a gap (up to 2 hours) between shifts. It's not being on call or waiting for work. Most of them had a gap of about an hour or less which they used for lunch and breaks.

Thanks for all the info...I am finding out more locally, and it seems most of the replies are right.

BOTH the stewards I talked to said that I will not lose a dime hourly-driving for the first 4 hours.
They said I should continue to get $20.07. If they take away my sort dollar, which they could it would be $19.07

I pray that I don't start at the $12.50 progression for the first half of the shift. I cant afford that...even making $20 on the back four.

From what I have been told, the air driver portion of the job will start at about the same time....however the midnight shift varies. I still don't have a clear answer on what would happen if my 4 hours (and lunch) is up at, say 1030, but the next shift does not start until 11:30. I guess time will tell.

It IS a 22.3, which guarantees 40 hours. I talked to another air driver, and he said that I wont see any OT until peak, which is fine with me.

DOT physical and background check is all done, I was supposed to do a "test drive" today, but they never called back to confirm. Ah well.
Driver school is 18-22 APR.

Lastly, anyone care to comment on what would happen if I get a year or two into the progression, then bid on another 22.3, or better yet, 22.2 job? Does the progression pick up where I left off or do I have to start over?
TIA

JonFrum

. . . BOTH the stewards I talked to said that I will not lose a dime hourly-driving for the first 4 hours.
They said I should continue to get $20.07. If they take away my sort dollar, which they could it would be $19.07

I pray that I don't start at the $12.50 progression for the first half of the shift. I cant afford that...even making $20 on the back four. . .

Ask your two stewards to quote you the actual contract clause that will supposedly grandfather you at your current hourly rate and spare you from most of the two year progression.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Thanks for all the info...I am finding out more locally, and it seems most of the replies are right.

BOTH the stewards I talked to said that I will not lose a dime hourly-driving for the first 4 hours.

I pray that I don't start at the $12.50 progression for the first half of the shift. I cant afford that...even making $20 on the back four.

From what I have been told, the air driver portion of the job will start at about the same time....however the midnight shift varies. I still don't have a clear answer on what would happen if my 4 hours (and lunch) is up at, say 1030, but the next shift does not start until 11:30. I guess time will tell.

It IS a 22.3, which guarantees 40 hours. I talked to another air driver, and he said that I wont see any OT until peak, which is fine with me.

DOT physical and background check is all done, I was supposed to do a "test drive" today, but they never called back to confirm. Ah well.
Driver school is 18-22 APR.

Lastly, anyone care to comment on what would happen if I get a year or two into the progression, then bid on another 22.3, or better yet, 22.2 job? Does the progression pick up where I left off or do I have to start over?
TIA

You willl certainly start at the air driver progression at $12.50 assumign that is the starting rate ( I haven't looked it up in a while)

You will make roughly 19 or 20 on the back 4 on the midnight

Your 6-10pm driving will probably be pickup route (s)

Your progression is two years as inside/outside. If you move out of the inside/outside progression into another class 22.3 job (inside inside, for ex), you will get a payraise to 19 or 20/hr for ALL hours. Inside/inside means you are red circled at your current part-time rate until the 3 year progression is up, then you are at the prevailing top wage for ALL hours.

Basically, unless you have over 25 years in, your inside/outside job will be lower paying than inside/inside.

Also, be careful if you do move classifications. The language in the master says that 'anyone who already completed a progression will not be forced to complete two' (something along those lines) , HOWEVER the Article 40 air language is NOT the same as Article 22.

Article 40 say that it supercedes any other language, as our local president explained it to me and you will probably be forced to do another progression. the inside/outside one falls under Article 40 which is seperate from the rest of the contract.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Ask your two stewards to quote you the actual contract clause that will supposedly grandfather you at your current hourly rate and spare you from most of the two year progression.
I cannot see how that is possible unless there is some supplement language there. They have never worked as a FT air driver, nevermind (possibly)PT air driver.

One of them did quote me the language from article 40, but I don't remember how it was worded exactly.
Monday I'll get my hands on the book and take a closer look. Seems I remember there being one line in there specifically on this situation!

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

One of them did quote me the language from article 40, but I don't remember how it was worded exactly.
Monday I'll get my hands on the book and take a closer look. Seems I remember there being one line in there specifically on this situation!

Article 40, Section 6, (b) 2 (friend) reads as follows:

Employees who are in existing full-time combination jobs or who hereafter enter a full-time combination job shall be paid the appropriate full-time air rate for air driver work and appropriate part-time rate for the hours worked in other classifications. If an employee has no established inside rate, that employee will be paiid the appropriate part-time rate in accordance with his Seniority.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
For future reference, 22.3 get treated like crap by management while PTs get what they want. That is just how it is, mostly jealousy that we're making 55k+ /year hourly with no work to take home. I strongly suggest not going full-time, esp an inside/outside bid job. I fully regret going full-time myself. Just keep in mind that there is no going back.

JonFrum

Do combo drivers get to keep their air rate they already had as a part-timer until progression catches up?

Unfortunately, NO.

As usual, this is what a majority of your union brothers and sisters voted YES to.

Only Inside/Inside Article 22.3 workers are Red Circled at their higher part-time hourly rate.

JonFrum

I cannot see how that is possible unless there is some supplement language there. They have never worked as a FT air driver, nevermind (possibly)PT air driver.

That's my point. There is no such Article 40 language.

I answered the Original Poster's questions in post #13. He apparently didn't believe me (or article 40) that the starting rate is $13.50 and that there is no Red Circle status for part-timers going into full-time Air Driving. Oh well.

I challenged him to ask his stewards, whom he does believe, to produce the goods by quoting the actual language. We both know there is no such language that suports their contention.

I didn't say you or article 40 were incorrect, I was only quoting what they said from memory and haven't talked with them since then. I'll see if I can get clarification on Monday, because according to what you posted, I'll be taking a paycut! ;(

UnconTROLLed

perfection
That's my point. There is no such Article 40 language.

I answered the Original Poster's questions in post #13. He apparently didn't believe me (or article 40) that the starting rate is $13.50 and that there is no Red Circle status for part-timers going into full-time Air Driving. Oh well.

I challenged him to ask his stewards, whom he does believe, to produce the goods by quoting the actual language. We both know there is no such language that suports their contention.

Well I've been surprsied by some local language in the past, so I'll leave it to surgical45 to find the truth in his situation.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
I didn't say you or article 40 were incorrect, I was only quoting what they said from memory and haven't talked with them since then. I'll see if I can get clarification on Monday, because according to what you posted, I'll be taking a paycut! ;(

The 22.3 FT wording is some of the most poorly written garbage ever. GOod luck and let us know what happens with your new job on Monday or whenever you start.

packageguy

Air drivers start at $12.50, but after two years, you shoot to top rate. I think its about $24. the PM air driver here just shuttles the air pick-ups to the airport, then drives back. Buy an ipod, just don't let them see you wearing it.
You will be the night sort's "bitch", basically. Sorry, to be vulgar, but its true. Driving time depends on how far away the airport is. Don't know about the dollar.
If you have lag time between sorts, remember this---- You get paid to wait for work. They CAN NOT make you clock out, then clock back in. Right in the master contract.
No idea on the start time, it varies.

Good luck.
You are so right on, It's not funny, Siurgical.45 listen to what he said..