Wondering what article I can file a grievance on warning letter?

Wandering what article in the contract I can file a grievance on warning letter,intentent to suspend letter,or termination letter?
Just wanting to know for future reference,any help would be great!!!

And No I've never been wrote up in any way...I promise...lol:happy-very:

Thanks

Billy

Re: Wandering what article I can file a grievance on warning letter?

A warning letter is automatically grieved by the Union. This way any further actions taken due to the reasons addressed in the letter can be fought in the future if needed. There is really no reason to grieve the letter yourself, but you can under article 50, or 7. They go away after 9 months of no further infractions.

Suspension and terminations are grieved by the steward under the same articles.

Last edited:

Billy

I would add that while they are a step in the process of termination. They generally are used as a wake up call. Good managers work with the steward(s) to solve problems before they go to paper. Once they make there way to paper I have found that a little wake up call may be helpful. At that point the steward hasn't had any luck talking to them to adjust the issue either. Granted there are some managers that love to throw paper. Those stewards have their hands full for sure. The only way to combat that is to throw more paper back. All the while still having to try and adjust the issue. Those centers are the ones that need everyone to stick together more.

Hangingon

So if I received a warning letter (failure to make return to bldg time) it will automatically be grieved, or does it depend on the local? I was exactly one hour over on a route in the blind and was one of 8 drivers to not make 9.5. I was the only one however to get called into the office and receive my free 'gift'.
I was debating filing one but just wasn't sure under what grounds. Of course since i didn't make 9.5 again tonight (dispatched with 15 more stops then yesterday) I may be more worried tomorrow about grieving a termination then a letter.

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!

So if I received a warning letter (failure to make return to bldg time) it will automatically be grieved, or does it depend on the local? I was exactly one hour over on a route in the blind and was one of 8 drivers to not make 9.5. I was the only one however to get called into the office and receive my free 'gift'.
I was debating filing one but just wasn't sure under what grounds. Of course since i didn't make 9.5 again tonight (dispatched with 15 more stops then yesterday) I may be more worried tomorrow about grieving a termination then a letter.

Always grieve any and all discipline.

It will depend on your local, our local can no longer automatically grieve anything, it must be done by the individual. Also therre will be a time limit. You only have 5 or 10 days to grieve or it may be diferent at other areas.

What exactly have you done wrong, I would like to have some more details here!!

SuperSup

Here, you can't grieve a warning letter. However, on a 2nd offense, if it turns into a suspension, you may then go back and grieve the original warning letter, along with the suspension letter. If you win the first, then the suspension gets knocked down to a warning. It's different in every conference, read your contract. My question is, if you've never been disciplined, why are you asking for future reference? Are you planning something, or do you work for Hitler?

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid

In my local, warning letters are not grieved until such time as a suspension letter is issued as part of the progressive discipline process; at that point, both the warning and suspension letter are grieved at the same time.

Billy

I apologize then. I didn't realize that was the case. In that case ( the local can't automatically grieve ) I would grieve ALL discipline as well.
So if I received a warning letter (failure to make return to bldg time)
what did they write you for? That's not even a methods and procedures violation. Have they done a 3 day ride yet? You should file on that one immediately.

grgrcr88

If they are disciplining you for being over 9.5hrs you better start talking to a business agent imediately.

Please post some details!!

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom

Maybe he is doing too much wandering.

Wandering what article I can file a grievance on warning letter?

Hangingon

Failure to follow instructions. I was instructed to make 9.5. and didn't.

My request for a ride along so I can be retrained in the proper methods that will enable me to shave an hour or more off my time was refused. I'll see what happens tomorrow. I received several messages instructing me (again) to make 9.5 with the 197 I was dispatched with. Missed it by 20 minutes.

grgrcr88

Did they tell you to bring back stops, or did they tell you to finish them all but make 9.5?

Billy

What is you steward saying about this load of manure?

grgrcr88

The problem is if they instructed you to bring back work to be under 9.5 and you failed to follow instructions you could be in hot water, if not they are full of crap.
You cannot be disciplined for production and that is a way to try an end around that. You definatly need to be grieving this.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member

They've played this game before at my building, typically the line is "You were dispatched in range, therefore you are instructed to make all your deliveries and finish under 9.5".
Your best bet is to keep communicating with the center, letting them know in a timely manner that you will not be able to make 9.5 so that they have the opportunity to do something about it. Do not bring back missed pieces just to make cutoff unless specifically instructed to do so. If you stick to your guns and they don't back off, you will be getting a ride along so be ready for that.

First all I'd like to say thanks to the many responses and I asked to original question for knowledge sakes and at this past weekends union meeting they asked me to be the union alternate. I didn't do anything wrong and have never been written up.

I have recieved my first grievance to deal with today on Supes working. If any of you have any good knowledge to help a newbie I would greatly appreciate it.

I went to the sort mgr to have her sign off saying it had been presented to her, she called one of the 2 supes being grieved on into the office and told him to pull the employees attendance records and we would have a sit down tomorrow to settle the grievance. Of course he denied working (sorting packages off the return belt) on 3 seperate occasions last week. I'm going off of no info except what I can find in the manual and our primary steward is out sick (I haven't recieved her # yet) and my BA is out of town in Nashville and hasn't returned my calls do to him meeting with mgt there about 9.5 isssues for feeders and peak season work. Not sure quite how to handle this since I've just been thrown into the deep end.

grgrcr88

What they are moat likely going to try to do is prove to you that they had used every one available and that the sup had no choice but to work. If so find out if ther eis a double shift list and if they called every one on it. Need to have proof, meaning that a steward or other hourly was present when calls were made. If that was done ask about an extra work list and if all those people were called. If not you have a winner. If they exhausted all possibilities for union workers and were still short you will probably lose but let your B/A handle that. Do not settle this case on your own unless they agree to pay double pay to the grievant for all time worked by the sup. If they want you to do anything else refer them to the local hearings with your B/A