"Work as Directed" and Production Standards

I Am Jacks Damaged Box

***** Club Member (can't talk about it)
I am not sure how I would make their job more miserable without doing something that could get me terminated faster. I know that the supervisors working grievances are pissing them off, but that is really not why I am filing the grievances. However, if I know of only one thing that makes supervisors get really angry, then it is being friendly while they are yelling at you. I have always utilized this, since it awfully difficult to get me angry. I just smile and nod when I am being yelled at, and that is great entertainment for me.

Ah yes, the yellers. They are typically insecure about themselves anyway but when you use that approach, you can almost hear their egos deflating.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Your best bet is to:

(1) do not react on emotion
(2) do not say more than you have to, "if that" :"D
(3) the less people know about you, the easier UPS life will be
(4) always have a steward present for any questioning
(5) work a fair pace that suits you, and no one else.

just a few suggestions

Coldworld

60 months and counting
The 1% seems insignificant unless it is the package that you need for a project that you are doing this weekend.

Nobody is perfect all the time....didnt you receive a customer complant and misdeliver a package within the last few months???? Nobody is perfect....

turdburglar

Ah yes, the yellers. They are typically insecure about themselves anyway but when you use that approach, you can almost hear their egos deflating.
I really think that the way I handle harassment is the best way to handle it. One of my old full-time supervisors only yelled at me once. I did my smiling and nodding bit, and he never even talked to me unless he absolutely had to after that. Something that another employee did while being yelled at by this same supervisor was just as effective. He said that when he was being yelled at, he just stared at the supervisor with a dumb look on his face until he left him alone. Imagining this particular guy with a dumb look on his face while the supervisor is screaming at the top of his lungs at him makes me laugh when I think about it, even now.

jalnar

Pick your battles carefully. Sometimes the best offense is defense(let them make the mistake touching a pkg and then file). Keep a small notebook in your pocket and as soon as something happens write down everything including date time and witnesses.When you have your local hearing let it all hang out,and make them look like an a##.Also be careful when you leave your area(they could intentionally put a misload on one of your trucks) keep us posted and stay strong

turdburglar

Pick your battles carefully. Sometimes the best offense is defense(let them make the mistake touching a pkg and then file). Keep a small notebook in your pocket and as soon as something happens write down everything including date time and witnesses.When you have your local hearing let it all hang out,and make them look like an a##.Also be careful when you leave your area(they could intentionally put a misload on one of your trucks) keep us posted and stay strong
Hopefully they are not stupid enough to put misloads on my trucks, because my record of having no misloads will work against them should it happen.

So what exactly happens at a local hearing? Today the steward told me that they have looked over the grievances, and that a decision should be reached in about a week. What should I expect next?

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
I really think that the way I handle harassment is the best way to handle it. One of my old full-time supervisors only yelled at me once. I did my smiling and nodding bit, and he never even talked to me unless he absolutely had to after that. Something that another employee did while being yelled at by this same supervisor was just as effective. He said that when he was being yelled at, he just stared at the supervisor with a dumb look on his face until he left him alone. Imagining this particular guy with a dumb look on his face while the supervisor is screaming at the top of his lungs at him makes me laugh when I think about it, even now.

All of that is great and keep doing it.
But don't stop there in the face of them building a paper trail on you.
File the harassment grievance.
Put paper next to their paper.
You're almost there, stay with it.

turdburglar

All of that is great and keep doing it.
But don't stop there in the face of them building a paper trail on you.
File the harassment grievance.
Put paper next to their paper.
You're almost there, stay with it.
About the harassment grievance.... I asked my steward if I could file a harassment grievance for my full-time supervisor subjecting me to package counts and whatnot, and he said that if there is a production issue, that it is their right to find out what is wrong, and doing package counts is one of the ways they do it (or something like that, I do not clearly remember what he said). I thought otherwise, since I am the only one under this full-time supervisor having this done to them, even though I know that the vast majority of the loaders do not load 240 packages per hour (although I am not saying it is possible, either).

I at least have a paper trail with my retaliation grievance, however. If I somehow get a warning letter, I will file a harassment grievance regardless of what my steward says (he has already said that it will never get to a warning letter, since I only have to follow the methods to prevent it). Are you recommending I file a harassment grievance anyways? I can definitely see where it would be harassment, I just do not understand why my steward would not think it would be justified.

However, what about the supervisors working grievances? From what I could gather from reading about hearings, the business agent, center manager, and steward will try to settle them within the building, correct? Would supervisors working grievances ever reach a hearing?

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
About the harassment grievance.... I asked my steward if I could file a harassment grievance for my full-time supervisor subjecting me to package counts and whatnot, and he said that if there is a production issue, that it is their right to find out what is wrong, and doing package counts is one of the ways they do it (or something like that, I do not clearly remember what he said). I thought otherwise, since I am the only one under this full-time supervisor having this done to them, even though I know that the vast majority of the loaders do not load 240 packages per hour (although I am not saying it is possible, either).

I at least have a paper trail with my retaliation grievance, however. If I somehow get a warning letter, I will file a harassment grievance regardless of what my steward says (he has already said that it will never get to a warning letter, since I only have to follow the methods to prevent it). Are you recommending I file a harassment grievance anyways? I can definitely see where it would be harassment, I just do not understand why my steward would not think it would be justified.

However, what about the supervisors working grievances? From what I could gather from reading about hearings, the business agent, center manager, and steward will try to settle them within the building, correct? Would supervisors working grievances ever reach a hearing?

Supervisor Working grievances are (usually) settled at Center Level in my Local. The center manager OK's the cheque amount and the cheque is issued within 5 business days

turdburglar

Supervisor Working grievances are (usually) settled at Center Level in my Local. The center manager OK's the cheque amount and the cheque is issued within 5 business days
Forgive my denseness, but the center level is referring specifically to the building where I work, correct? As in, the grievances never leave the building where I filed them?

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
Forgive my denseness, but the center level is referring specifically to the building where I work, correct? As in, the grievances never leave the building where I filed them?
That is correct as the center manager usually settles these quickly with the BA they dont go to a hearing. Management in our building views these grievances as simply the cost of doing business

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture

I'm saying whenever you feel like you are being harassed, file.
Retaliation grievance is essentially a harassment grievance???
What article did you site???
37???

My point is for you to document everything.
Do it right and you will be paid, safe, and the company will correct their behavior.

turdburglar

I'm saying whenever you feel like you are being harassed, file.
Retaliation grievance is essentially a harassment grievance???
What article did you site???
37???

My point is for you to document everything.
Do it right and you will be paid, safe, and the company will correct their behavior.
I did not cite an article, presumably the steward will do so (the grievance form has the "Articles Violated" section separate, under "To Be Completed by Steward or BA"). I would guess that a retaliation grievance is essentially a harassment grievance in that it is a violation of Article 37. I will counter all of their discipline with a harassment grievance. Luckily, it has not gotten that far (yet).

turdburglar

Burdgler you still filing?
I most certainly am still filing. I just got my first grievance paycheck. It amounted to $150. Not bad for a little bit of paperwork. Of course, several full-time supervisors are implying that the higher-ups will find a way to fire me if I keep filing grievances. I just ignore them. Like I have stated before, I knew this was a dangerous game when I started playing it. If I wanted their advice, I would ask for it.