"Work as directed" dishonesty stories: Share yours here.

I guess my definition of dishonesty would include the word intent or intentionally as in did we intentionally deceive by sheeting those pkgs in the CC DIAD and then delivering them or did my center intentionally deceive by sheet a LIB in the CC DIAD and asking me to drop it off on the way home. IMO there was no attempt to deceive in any of these instances. Just good ole customer service.
Try that "definition" at a panel and see how far it gets ya. So it's OK to lie, if you don't intend to hide the truth? Sorry, I'm confused.

Being told to:
Sheet pkgs as NI1 instead of EC when you can't get near the house because of the weather.

Deliver NDA on trace and sheet the late air as weather when there is no weather.

Sheet a bad SPA/misload as NI1 because "we called the customer and they said it was okay". Real reason - no one in the building to come and get the pkg.

Sheet misload as a driver follow-up "found package".
I've been instructed to record packages as EC on misloads for another area that was too far away to make service on, most of the time I told them I would bring them in and THEY could record them however they wanted to or I would record as missed. They would get mad but then tell me to record as missed. Never been told to record as NI for actual EC pkgs, that's an odd one.

tieguy

Banned
The truth might be "negative"...but that doesnt change the fact that it still needs to be told.

Problems dont get solved by sweeping them under the rug or pretending they dont exist.

I will say this; UPS is a far more "honest" company today than it was 23 yrs ago when I started. We still have some work to do, but I have seen progress.

The truth needs to be told where?

Lets talk about your faults 24/7 rather then "sweeping" your faults under the rug.

Sober I'm specifically talking about Integritys contributions here which is all negative all the time.

Lets talk about your faults 24/7 rather then "sweeping" your faults under the rug.

Sober I'm specifically talking about Integritys contributions here which is all negative all the time.
I hold integrity in great esteem, Integrity leaves a lot to be desired.

over9five

Staff member
How can this NOT be dishonest? A driver DRs packages for several stops while at one location and the sup then delivers them. The official UPS records show that the driver delivered those packages when in fact he did not. THAT is dishonesty regardless of how you want to dress it up. Add to that, if you did this and had another driver drop them off on his way home you would/could be fired for...ya got it....dishonesty. I would agree that the customer would see this as superior customer service, however he/she is not the one that could possibly lose their job over this action. If it is dishonest to do it once, it is every time.

I'm with Trplnkl on this. Dishonesty is dishonesty. You can't say it's ok because it's Peak, and then fire people for it the rest of the year.
Dishonesty is black and white. It is or it isn't. You can't say "sometimes this is dishonest".

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Try that "definition" at a panel and see how far it gets ya. So it's OK to lie, if you don't intend to hide the truth? Sorry, I'm confused.

You are reading too much in to this. This was a LIB that I was asked to deliver on the way home. As for the other examples, I applaud the center team, and the sup in question, that would go above and beyond to ensure that the pkgs were delivered before Christmas.

Now, Ms PacMan's example of sheeting a misload a driver follow up "found package" is simply dishonest and asking for a lot of trouble, as is sheeting a bad PAL or misload as NI1 because we had permission from the customer.

Delivering NDA on trace and sheet as late is a hot issue with me. My center will do this when some of the air is on time and the remainder is late. They will dispatch the air with the ground and tell us to sheet as late with the reason the same as that for the late arriving air even though that air was here on time and should have been delivered by the commit time.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture

Start your own thread then instead of playing your shell games within this one.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
I'm with Trplnkl on this. Dishonesty is dishonesty. You can't say it's ok because it's Peak, and then fire people for it the rest of the year.
Dishonesty is black and white. It is or it isn't. You can't say "sometimes this is dishonest".

Here's an idea, service the packages while recording them accurately.
If the supervisor delivers them, then he or she can get a DIAD and put their name in it can't they?
If somebody services packages on the way home, they can take a DIAD with them deliver, the package, clock out and bring it back the next day.
Sugar coating dishonesty with a label of "customer service" doesn't change the fact that it was dishonest.
In reality it's about generating a desirable number for a report(s).

OVERBOARD

Don't believe everything you think
Tieguy is right Integritys is all negative all the time, as for being dishonest, it is the way it is, all you can do is document everything for yourself, that’s what ups does, I was gave a misload to my on car sup, that night I track the pkg and it was sheeted as LIB, so I saved the info, just I case my sup ever accused me of being dishonest, then I will say what about you and show them the info, I have other document just in case of emergency. BTW FEDX is more dishonest than we are, especially FEDX ground, I've talk to the FEDX ground driver and the stories he tells me.

Dragon

Package Center Manager
A few years ago I ordered a part for my motorcycle NDA as the shop needed the part early. I got nervous as the commit time approached as I had to run it down to the shop asap. Well I call shipper about 10:45 or so and it showed DR gar?? Looked outside ,no pkg. When driver showed up about 11, I gave the air driver a talk about not fudgeing #"s and I know because I was at the time a friend/T driver and knew the system. I called customer svc and said I want a refund but because it showed DR,I was out of luck. This driver came out of my former bldg and I called the C/M who was at one time my C/M and asked if he could see if I could get a refund..$35 bucks down the drain because a young air driver is overload with too many NDA and thus messes up my whole day..I told the driver to do it right and CYA and you will be ok ,but doing what he did to me will come back someday and bite him in the butt..We were all a little intimidated when we started UPS but I listened and took advice from the Senior Men and made it out the door in one piece after 25...

I have terminated (with DM and labor managers approval) 3 drivers in the last 6 months over this same thing. I reduced it to 3 day suspension and a last and final warning. The bad thing all three explanations have started like this....I did not want to show any late air....... Guys if we (management) over dispatch you, deliver straight air and no ground whats late is late, if you mess up (driver error) stand up, call the center explain what happened and be done with it. Yes I will not be happy but that is another thread.

The Milkman

A few years ago I ordered a part for my motorcycle NDA as the shop needed the part early. I got nervous as the commit time approached as I had to run it down to the shop asap. Well I call shipper about 10:45 or so and it showed DR gar?? Looked outside ,no pkg. When driver showed up about 11, I gave the air driver a talk about not fudgeing #"s and I know because I was at the time a friend/T driver and knew the system. I called customer svc and said I want a refund but because it showed DR,I was out of luck. This driver came out of my former bldg and I called the C/M who was at one time my C/M and asked if he could see if I could get a refund..$35 bucks down the drain because a young air driver is overload with too many NDA and thus messes up my whole day..I told the driver to do it right and CYA and you will be ok ,but doing what he did to me will come back someday and bite him in the butt..We were all a little intimidated when we started UPS but I listened and took advice from the Senior Men and made it out the door in one piece after 25...

I have terminated (with DM and labor managers approval) 3 drivers in the last 6 months over this same thing. I reduced it to 3 day suspension and a last and final warning. The bad thing all three explanations have started like this....I did not want to show any late air....... Guys if we (management) over dispatch you, deliver straight air and no ground whats late is late, if you mess up (driver error) stand up, call the center explain what happened and be done with it. Yes I will not be happy but that is another thread.

I like people who shoot from the HIP..Hope others learn from their mistakes

tieguy

Banned
Start your own thread then instead of playing your shell games within this one.

I don't know why don't you start your own thread instead of playing shell games with this one.

Look you guys want to wallow in constant negativity and misery on your time off here then feel free.

But since we're looking for integrity here. How about this. the next guy that makes a post is the guy who's integrity is perfect.
If you have never lied to anyone about anything, never called out sick when you weren't sick, never ever violated your integrity then you go ahead and make the next post and tell us how things should be.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid

I have no problem with my faults being discussed in a constructive manner. I'm not perfect, I always strive to improve, and honesty about my faults is an opportunity for growth.

I think you, and I, and Integrity are all on the same side. We all want a better UPS. We just dont always agree on the best way to get there.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
[I have terminated (with DM and labor managers approval) 3 drivers in the last 6 months over this same thing. I reduced it to 3 day suspension and a last and final warning. The bad thing all three explanations have started like this....I did not want to show any late air....... Guys if we (management) over dispatch you, deliver straight air and no ground whats late is late, if you mess up (driver error) stand up, call the center explain what happened and be done with it. Yes I will not be happy but that is another thread.

That ought to be read aloud at the PCM once per week, and also posted on the center bulletin board.

As drivers, we have a responsibility to be scrupulously honest. And our management people have a responsibility to create a work enviornment with realistic expectations that encourages honesty. I think both sides frequently fall short.

pretzel_man

Just because it says DR, someone should not be out of luck. Customer service can check the lat / lon of the delivery.

If this were fought, I think you would have won. UPS knows that DR is not a defense.

P-Man

upsset

the dishonesty comes in two places:
1. the person delivering the packages is not the person the DIAD is recording.
2. supervisors delivering packages is a contract violation

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
I don't know why don't you start your own thread instead of playing shell games with this one.
Kind of juvenile to mock what I posted.
Maybe you could try the old "I know you are but what am I" next.
You are the one always trying to change the subject or theme through semantics within a thread.
If you don't have anything relavent to add within the subject matter, then abstain.
I happen to agree by the way, Integrity is a fraud with his negativity driven hidden agenda.

Look you guys want to wallow in constant negativity and misery on your time off here then feel free.
Obviously we don't need your permission to discuss or wallow in any subject matter.
If you don't want to participate, move along.

But since we're looking for integrity here. How about this. the next guy that makes a post is the guy who's integrity is perfect.
Maybe Jesus since it's Sunday?

If you have never lied to anyone about anything, never called out sick when you weren't sick, never ever violated your integrity then you go ahead and make the next post and tell us how things should be.

Guess this thread is finished by the authority of the Tie Guy.
By the way, I never call out sick.
I just call in without giving a reason.
Don't need one.

brownrod

The title of this thread is dishonesty stories but I fail to see how either of these scenarios is dishonest but rather would be superior customer service. I am occasionally asked to drop off a pkg on the way home and have no problem doing so. As far as the Peak packages, would it have been better had we waited until the roads were plowed and delivered those 10 stops after Christmas or did we take care of the customer by gettings these stops delivered before Christmas? I applaud your center team for taking care of the customer and the supervisor who took his personal time to take care of his neighbors.

It's not quite honest to have a pt clerk DR front door a package 15 miles away from the front door and 40 minutes before you get there...

Same with the X-mas story. You are DR front dooring the packages nowhere near their front door and not at the same time they were delivered.

If this is superior customer service then why isn't it Ok for me to DR a NDA at 10:29 when I'm only a few minutes away from the actual delivery point.