"Work as directed" dishonesty stories: Share yours here.

tieguy

Banned
Guess this thread is finished by the authority of the Tie Guy.
By the way, I never call out sick.
I just call in without giving a reason.
Don't need one.

this thread does not have to end. I just think it should be continued by whomever has perfect integrity. Any takers?

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
this thread does not have to end. I just think it should be continued by whomever has perfect integrity. Any takers?

Or instead ,it could be continued by those who are willing to admit that they have been wrong in the past but are making an ongoing effort to change.

People dont like hypocracy. As employees of UPS we are held to very high standards by a company that begins documenting a case for our eventual termination from the day we are hired. Its only natural that we would expect those who hold us to such standards...to live up to those same standards themselves.

In this new Telematics age, we are being held accountable and threatened with termination for 90 second discrepancies in our reported lunch and breaks. If you guys are going to split hairs like that, then dont bitch when we hold you to the same level of accountability. You cant have it both ways.

tieguy

Banned
Or instead ,it could be continued by those who are willing to admit that they have been wrong in the past but are making an ongoing effort to change.

People dont like hypocracy. As employees of UPS we are held to very high standards by a company that begins documenting a case for our eventual termination from the day we are hired. Its only natural that we would expect those who hold us to such standards...to live up to those same standards themselves.

In this new Telematics age, we are being held accountable and threatened with termination for 90 second discrepancies in our reported lunch and breaks. If you guys are going to split hairs like that, then dont bitch when we hold you to the same level of accountability. You cant have it both ways.

I'm sorry I think its funny to see someone who calls himself integrity spending all his off time talking about something he does not have in the first place.

whats next . Will someone next create an ID called union integrity to talk about the unions dishonest practices?

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
I'm sorry I think its funny to see someone who calls himself integrity spending all his off time talking about something he does not have in the first place.

whats next . Will someone next create an ID called union integrity to talk about the unions dishonest practices?

I wont argue the fact that the Teamsters union has had its own issues with integrity. And the best way to resolve such issues...is to talk about them and expose them to the light of day.

Raw

Raw Member
Recently, we have to put in a minimum lunchbreak time of 30 minutes even if you didn't have a break at all. One can easily see in the records that you were delivering during a "made-up lunchbreak" but I've seen drivers get reprimanded for forgetting to punch in a time in the diad afterwards. Makes you wonder why they're not automatically add a breaktime when you start the diad. Seems like it doesn't matter if it's true or false anyway.

Must've been a horrible company back then if that's true.
You can be terminated for showing work being done while being on break.

L

Loufan

I wrote about this before, it was about this time last year we had this crazy ice storm, well I came into work expecting something crazy to happen and I was right. The power shut off mid shift and they told us to crawl on the primary belt and push all the boxes from Primary to our trucks. It is a pretty good distance a couple hundred feet or more, i am not really sure, there are a bunch of curves and hills and bars where you have to crawl to get around them. I found this very unnecessary, we all knew they had a backup generator, and they were just trying to keep us busy. It may not sound like a hard thing to do, but imagine pushing 30-40-50lb boxes up a hill and under bars around curves. It is actually quite difficult, I was burning up and sweating like crazy in the dead winter, not to mention my back hurt the rest of the week..... and ohhhhh imagine, the power comes on not 10 minutes after we get the boxes done. It was safe to say I was pretty pissed, but what was I gonna do? Could not really argue with my PT sup because it wasnt their orders for us to do it.

Integrity

Binge Poster
I applaud all the honest workers at UPS and I credit them for their desire to work " with Integrity" and not against him.

To All,

I really tried to start this thread by putting the positive in the forefront. I have quoted my first sentence of this thread above. For those I have offended I am truly sorry, for I obviously have not achieved my goal. Please forgive me for making you feel uncomfortable in this way.

I know it is difficult, but talking about the areas that need improvement is critical to making something better. Trying to make UPS a better place to work is my only purpose for being here.

Sincerely,
I

some1else

BTW FEDX is more dishonest than we are, especially FEDX ground, I've talk to the FEDX ground driver and the stories he tells me.
they are really bad. on one of the holidays that we do "air only" the fed-ex ground where out running everything. i was in a industrial/commercial area (no retail) and i didnt see the fed-ex ground guy all day (normally pass him multiple times). i asked him the next day and he said he came in and scanned his whole truck closed and went home, never even started his truck! about 80% of the biz where open.

basically he stole from each and every shipper who had a package on his truck.

all these stories are the same. a shipper sends a NDA and it gets delivered at 11 with falsified records showing 1030? shippers money was stolen. package sheeted cl, ni, ec, nss, nsn, nr, need apt, when it is just a missload, customer had his money stollen.

that is the distinction upstate was trying to make with the delivering on the way home. the shipper is still getting his package delivered, and the dishonesty is more of an internal issue; not in the same league as above. I AGREE WITH UPSTATE ON SOMETHING!!

but still i would never falsify records in the deliver it on the way home style; its just not nearly as bad as stealing from the shipper

D

Dis-organized Labor

I once took some staples home, although used, I still worry about the impact to the Company's bottom line

Catatonic

Nine Lives

or better yet an ID named Integrity Integrity.

tieguy

Banned
To All,

I really tried to start this thread by putting the positive in the forefront. I have quoted my first sentence of this thread above. For those I have offended I am truly sorry, for I obviously have not achieved my goal. Please forgive me for making you feel uncomfortable in this way.

I know it is difficult, but talking about the areas that need improvement is critical to making something better. Trying to make UPS a better place to work is my only purpose for being here.

Sincerely,
I

we're saved. Roflmao

All during peak we were sheeting packages EC when the weather had nothing to do with it; we were just short-handed. We do the same with delivering air on trace and sheeting as weather.
We're told not to sheet businesses as closed after 5, sheet them as missed instead. Must be a big deal.
I sheeted 3 packages 'closed' after 5pm the other night, got a performance warning letter the next day
. I have never had performance issues.
I think someone hit the nail on the head when they mentioned hypocrisy. It is a hypocrisy issue. From my first day with the company they talked about the importance of honesty. Now we're being asked to do dishonest things. I can't see how it's good for the company to foster a culture of liars, cheats and thieves.
Good luck with that, I'm not sure I can look myself in the mirror every day knowing I'm participating in defrauding customers.
You can't win. Just do what you're told and document it to the best of your ability.
The proper, by UPS policy,way to record a business attempted after 5 pm is as a MISSED. It's been that way for over 23.3 years.
Otherwise, good post.

mva1985

It's the truth tieguy! We've all been instructed to do things by management and then turn around and get disciplined for it. I have stopped doing it myself. I would rather have to answer to a missed pkg than to have to answer to falsifying my documents. A fellow driver was terminated this week for sheeting NDA pkgs as NR1 before 10:30. The mall he delivers to does not open till 10:00, giving him a 30 min. window to deliver his NDA. He has been instructed to do this in the past by management. You young drivers out there need to take note....you will not be terminated for legitimate missed pkgs or your over allowed hours, but you will be terminated for falsifying your DIAD entries. Don't do it!

As a steward I know this from experience. Do not falsify anything. You are just asking to be terminated if you do.

santoape

Okay, i need some feedback on this. I am a 15 year driver, today was 15 days of no pay. I was terminated 3 weeks ago for dishonesty, management said. I was using the over 70 key to much, we are not a bonus center. At the time i did not think anything about it, i was told years ago by my first on car sup that if you have oversized boxes that take a long time to put them in over 70 so you get credit for the time. Well management pulled my records and i addmitted to them that alot of the boxes were not actually over 70, they were just big oversize boxes, so you know the rest of the story. terminated on the grounds of being dishonest about it, they say. I have nothing on my record in 15 years, i have no accidents or injuries on the job in 15 years, great service to customers etc. I cant believe this is happening to me, it has turned my life and family upside down.

But get this, about 3 days after i was terminated the on car sup got busted, charges on him were dishonesty and falsify records. He had been telling us drivers for about 2 years to sheet up pkgs as closed or not in when they were misloaded on us, to keep from showing missed. we all knew it was wrong but we were doing what we were told. also we were told to ec pkgs to keep us under 9/5

So anyhow, our on car sup still has his jop, he just got repermanded i hear. I currently have no job and headed to 2 state hearing. I dont want anyone to go through what i have been going through, i dont want anyone losing there job.

OVERBOARD

Don't believe everything you think
I think you will get your job back, time served, no back pay, just say you were WAD "working as directed" , it would help you if there is anyone else at your center that can verify that you where directed by your sup to sheeted oversized pkgs as over 70, when you do get your job make sure you do everything by the book, there will be a bull's-eye on you and like everyone say on here," if a sup is telling you to do something dishonesty get it in writing".