"Work As Directed," they said...

542thruNthru

Operational sabotage! That's almost as funny as when my center manager told a driver he was being maliciously obedient! We have to hit 90 or better so why not run it 100%.

8 Hour Day

Operational sabotage! That's almost as funny as when my center manager told a driver he was being maliciously obedient! We have to hit 90 or better so why not run it 100%.
I was told something along the lines that I was being a jerk by running it as close to 100% as I was. I simply asked, "You don't really think I'm sitting around tallying up my trace breaks to hit your magical trace percentage, do you?"

If they want ORION to work, THEY need to make ORION work... not ask me to make it look like ORION works.

8 Hour Day

No left turns.
An unaltered version of this is hanging on a bulletin board as I walk in. Do they actually believe this stuff? Is this a case of the left hand not knowing what the right is doing? Can this company possibly be that idiotic? I truly find this baffling... I mean, someone pretty high up either believes this crap and is completely clueless, or there's some bizarre and baffling misinformation campaign going on for reasons I can't possibly understand.

Attachments

• UPS2011Results-picsay.jpg
    UPS2011Results-picsay.jpg
    256.4 KB · Views: 125

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Do the words "operational sabotage" mean anything to you?
If he uses common sense in order to be productive, they will harass him for failing to generate a meaningless ORION compliance metric. It is his management team that is sabotaging the operation, not him.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

If he uses common sense in order to be productive, they will harass him for failing to generate a meaningless ORION compliance metric. It is his management team that is sabotaging the operation, not him.

This past Monday I was extremely light and decided to run Orion stop for stop, ending up with a 99.1% trace compliance.

85% is not that hard to meet.

1Simplemann

My sup doesn't bother me about Orion. When I bid my route, I reduced the miles from the previous driver. He knows I know my route better than he does or Orion. Orion routinely forecasts over 200 miles a day for my route. I beat it by 10-20 miles a day. My trace % is terrible but if I followed it I would have missed businesses, late air etc. It can't possibly take into acct of all the variables especially the rural areas of my route. Center Manager meanwhile threatens to make it impossible to turn Orion off. Sometimes it's pretty decent but only if there is enough density and only on a certain car plan. When they start cutting routes or adding routes and adding splits and taking away splits then it goes to he11.

hyena

Per my request they started posting the trace numbers. I have been right around 90% for the week.

There is one veteran driver who has been "spoken to" every day for the past 2 weeks at the end of the PCM. He is running in the low 70's and they really want him to get closer to 85%. It will be interesting to see how this plays out.
Stfu

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

My sup doesn't bother me about Orion. When I bid my route, I reduced the miles from the previous driver. He knows I know my route better than he does or Orion. Orion routinely forecasts over 200 miles a day for my route. I beat it by 10-20 miles a day. My trace % is terrible but if I followed it I would have missed businesses, late air etc. It can't possibly take into acct of all the variables especially the rural areas of my route. Center Manager meanwhile threatens to make it impossible to turn Orion off. Sometimes it's pretty decent but only if there is enough density and only on a certain car plan. When they start cutting routes or adding routes and adding splits and taking away splits then it goes to hell.

What are you going to do when they do take away the RDO option?

watdaflock?

Weird how every hub is ran differently. For example, our small center will cut routes left and right, which end result is PC's stuffed (too) full and impossible to walk down the isle. If lucky, you get a couple feet of space to reach the 1000 shelf....
I'd say 2/3rds of all the package cars leaving our small hub, it's impossible to follow orion.

Interesting and weird, all wrapped up into one.

joeboodog

good people drink good beer
What are you going to do when they do take away the RDO option?
When they take away RDO it won't really effect the way I do my route because of twenty years of area knowledge. It will have a negative impact for cover drivers that aren't familiar or going out "blind" on a route. I find I am more effective going back and forth between RDO and ODO.