Work Boots for UPS?

tracker2762

Last year I bought a pair of Timberland pro series and the were a good fit. This style was discontinued so my search was on to find a new shoe. It started in December, since I was wearing snow boots because of the weather, so I had no need for regular work boots. I bought a pair of boots from Kohls, took them home but they didn't have the right fit so I took them back. Next was Sears, found a pair of Timberland that fit and bought them. Again didn't fit that well after walking around the house so I took them back. Finally I went to Famous footwear and tried on an assortment of boots. The pair that fit the best was Timberland Pro Series Pit Boss 6" boots. After trying on about a dozen different boots, this one fit like a glove. They cost 104.00 but with a coupon from their website, final cost was 84.00. I was even thinking of getting an extra pair in case they might be discontinued.

over9five

Staff member
Hmmm, I wear Timberland Pros and when I recently went to replace them I couldn't find the same thing. I'll have to look into the Pit Boss.
How are the treads? Seems the treads on the newer ones are whimpy.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
I'm looking for some new work shoes too. I have been wearing Rockports for years, but their quality just gets worse and worse. I had some Timberland light weight hiking boots that worked well, but that model got discontinued.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I used to wear Rocky's but the model was discontinued so I bought a pair of Timberland's last fall and really like them. They are comfortable, sturdy, waterproof and are polishable. I wear ortho inserts which work well with the boots.

tracker2762

Hmmm, I wear Timberland Pros and when I recently went to replace them I couldn't find the same thing. I'll have to look into the Pit Boss.
How are the treads? Seems the treads on the newer ones are whimpy.

The treads are nothing special but this shoe was really comfortable. The last couple of work boots that I have bought, didn't wear out they cracked on the bottom from one side to the other.

Scoot

shoes_iaec1004280.jpgThese are the most comfortable "summertime" boots I have found. Great arch support, lightweight and durable. I don't use them in the winter however.
shoes_iaec1004280.jpg

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Maggie

Alright, I have tried in vain to find the required boots for this type of work. They just don’t exist, and if they do, they’re not cheap and are impossible to find.
As a rookie, I know you have not had the experience many of us have had. A good work shoe is never cheap. They are worth every penny, even if they only last 6 months or so. Your feet, ankles, knees especially, and hips, and in many cases your back depend on your finding a good pair of shoes to work in.

You want a good shoe that can absorb shock as well as keep your feet dry regardless of season.

And a shoe that works like a charm for one driver causes problems with another. So some personal experimentation is needed on your part. I have used Brahma boots before, and while they last about a year, they are not comforable enough for long term delivery work.

So dont focus on just the price, focus on what works for you. BTW, there have been a lot of very good types and brands mentioned. You should be able to find a winner in that list. Take care of your feet. Always.

d

HomeDelivery

gel inserts are great, especially on cheapo walmart shoes... I always carry a 2nd pair of shoes (and 2 pairs of socks as well) just in case i step on a doggie land mine

or

when the weather gets really rainy and my primary shoes/ socks get wet; i'll take my non-paid break & switch over, just to keep my feet nice and dry

I also remember heat rash in the summer months & will switch out my socks for fresh ones during the middle of my 12-14 hour shift...

Bristol Brown

Am I reading this right? You guys in the USA have to pay for your own work shoes and UPS dont supply you with a choice of safety shoe free of charge?

Bristol Brown

When I started work for UPS I was told I had to buy my own safety shoes because it is cheaper for UPS to pay out compensation to guys with crushed feet than it is to pay for all the drivers to have proper safety footwear.This is a company that uses the BS slogan "safe by choice not by chance".

I kicked up a massive fuss over this and in our centre the safety footwear is now paid for by UPS we have a catalog where we can choose the style of shoe/boot we want and it is dispatched to us within 3 days.

I am shocked that you guys have to pay for your own safety footwear when it should be supplied by your employer free of charge.

curiousbrain

When I started work for UPS I was told I had to buy my own safety shoes because it is cheaper for UPS to pay out compensation to guys with crushed feet than it is to pay for all the drivers to have proper safety footwear.This is a company that uses the BS slogan "safe by choice not by chance".

I kicked up a massive fuss over this and in our centre the safety footwear is now paid for by UPS we have a catalog where we can choose the style of shoe/boot we want and it is dispatched to us within 3 days.

I am shocked that you guys have to pay for your own safety footwear when it should be supplied by your employer free of charge.

I imagine a lot of things about the US would shock you, then.

For example, in some parts of the US police officers pay for their own service weapon - or, at least, they used to.

HomeDelivery

well, i'm not brown, but I added my comments to this thread :P (at least UPS are better compensated & can also put this towards their tax forms as a work-expense)

I put gel inserts in my shoes & I can easily go all day without any problems! one day, I forgot them (air-drying in the washroom) and my tootsies were aching afterwards (because i was running in cheapo walmart branded shoes)

does anyone else use gel inserts? or those arch supports?

iruhnman630

http://www.batesfootwear.com/US/en-...X-8-GORE-TEX-Side-Zip-Boot?galleryId=G-friend

Best winter boots I've had so far. I bought the insulated ones.\

Never though I would like a tall boot, but these are extremely light and fit like good shoes.