Work boots question. Holiday hire.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Boots like this work for me!

images

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
I did read that thread, it didn't really apply to my specific question of only having a limited amount of money to spend. I planned on spending money on the recommended boots after I could afford them. Honestly, the answers I got for my personalized question assisted me more than the thread did. Appreciate the concern though for your community, though. I understand y'all get a lot of random posts from temps like me, who are considered expendable in a veteran employee's eyes, and would like to cut down on threads that hold no value, but for me the answers hold personal value. If you'd like delete the post go ahead, it won't hurt my feeling any, my question has been answered and I thank you all for the assistance.
Kudos on the well crafted response. It was resfeshing to read an articulate post from a new member. My point though was that my FAQ post did give you two cheap options for shoes that would meet the ups requirements. If you're looking for cheap, skechers keystone work shoes and new balance 608 are both dirt cheap and meet the requirements. Just keep in mind snow is coming so a boot, which is more expensive, will be a must if you're in that kind of climate.

watdaflock?

Much appreciate, glad to know I shouldn't get my hope up for the possible permanent job they said I might get. After seeing the responses I just went to Payless and bought a cheap pair of boots, just in case.

Show up every day early and if your driver likes you.....stay positive. At least you have your "foot in the door" to UPS.
Many hired seniority people started as a temp jumper/seasonal.

Also, what are the chances I might be recommended by my driver to get a continued job, after the holidays?

Work with a sense of urgency. They say "don't run" but......yea.

How well do you get along with your driver? How much do ya "shoot the crap" while working?
Ask your driver a couple questions.

*How often to they go through preloaders for the AM shift?
*Does their hub also run a night sort?

Last edited:

scooby0048

This page left intentionally blank
I did read that thread, it didn't really apply to my specific question of only having a limited amount of money to spend. I planned on spending money on the recommended boots after I could afford them. Honestly, the answers I got for my personalized question assisted me more than the thread did. Appreciate the concern though for your community, though. I understand y'all get a lot of random posts from temps like me, who are considered expendable in a veteran employee's eyes, and would like to cut down on threads that hold no value, but for me the answers hold personal value. If you'd like delete the post go ahead, it won't hurt my feeling any, my question has been answered and I thank you all for the assistance.

Kudos on the well crafted response. It was resfeshing to read an articulate post from a new member. My point though was that my FAQ post did give you two cheap options for shoes that would meet the ups requirements. If you're looking for cheap, skechers keystone work shoes and new balance 608 are both dirt cheap and meet the requirements. Just keep in mind snow is coming so a boot, which is more expensive, will be a must if you're in that kind of climate.

I agree @Spydir your response was well written and a welcome change from some of the seasonal posts on here. You sound like an intelligent and motivated individual. Hopefully someone at your center sees this and offers you a position after peak. Good luck out there and thanks for your positive and motivated attitude.

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
Lol. How's everything, Tex...how are ya feeling?
BB, I'm feeling good, thanks for asking. Went to my Dr. yesterday, and my lab numbers were all great. Was forced to go to the mall by myself one day this week, and that was pretty exciting. lol. This Christmas is going to be good. I'm trying to mind my P's and Q's. Don't want to get coal in my stocking.:wink2:

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
BB, I'm feeling good, thanks for asking. Went to my Dr. yesterday, and my lab numbers were all great. Was forced to go to the mall by myself one day this week, and that was pretty exciting. lol. This Christmas is going to be good. I'm trying to mind my P's and Q's. Don't want to get coal in my stocking.:wink2:
Glad to hear...stay well and Merry Christmas!

Spydir

@TooTechie @scooby0048 I appreciate both of you for being informative and very nice. I shall work as hard as I possibly can, all I can do. That and have a little faith. Finished my orientation about 30mins ago, all went well and I have a UPS uniform now. Hoping my driver calls soon as possible, at the very least I want to take full advantage of this job and make as much as I can, while I can. Once again, many thanks to all of you. I feel quite a bit more informed about the situation I'm stepping into now.

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
Every year it is different. Some years, by this date, things are actually winding down, volumn wise. I've seen my driver every day this week, and 2 days he was by himself and only 1 day he had a helper.

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
Hell, a helper could probably go barefooted and spray paint his feet black or brown, and still work. Do they still pick up helpers on route? When they started helpers many years ago, they had them come into the building. The bean counters figured out pretty quickly they were paying the helpers to ride to the delivery area, and that changed quickly. haha