work cancelled

cino321

I'm in NYC, I just called in sick. So did my whole center. We're like buried over here, nothing got plowed.

SNOW DAY WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

NHDRVR

We got word last nght that they cancelled in NH as well... First time that I remember

It was an absolute shock to me that I was the one standing in the window w/a cup of coffee while my neighbors were digging out to get on the road. You know what? I can get used to that...

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
I took the day off too. We got a little bit of snow but the roads are clear. I delivered every single package Friday, so I would have to run two or three routes combined into one. I hate doing that, so I thought it would be better to let one of my cover drivers get the opportunity to work instead of getting laid off today. I usually take the day off after Christmas to get a little rest. The pictures from New England on the news look horrific, no sense working in that stuff.

NHDRVR

Still a state of emergency in Mass. I wonder if they did call off work?

Question. If Gov. Patrick declares a "S.O.E" for Mass. and only essential vehicles should be on the road can UPS still send out the pkg. cars? I don't know the protocol on this one...

SlowRide80k

My other one is Red Tag'd
Question. If Gov. Patrick declares a "S.O.E" for Mass. and only essential vehicles should be on the road can UPS still send out the pkg. cars? I don't know the protocol on this one...

I would think they would have to recall their trucks. Usually we don't shutdown until the gov starts shutting down the roads. I found it strange to be called this morning and told we were closed as the roads here in southeast CT aren't so terrible. But with safety becoming a bigger focus and today being a day where the casuals are still working. Inexperienced drivers + BAD roads = lots of stucks and possible accidents so it was smart and SAFE for them to make this call.

bluehdmc

North Jersey Feeder driver here. I was supposed to go in this morning at 12:30 am, checked the news and heard there was a state of emergency. Called dispatch about 10:30pm was surprised I got an answer as we were closed Sunday. The dispatcher said the yard wasn't even supposed to be plowed until this morning so I couldn't have even gotten a tractor out, so I might as well stay home. Was fine with me, have about a foot+ outside with 4 foot or so drifts. One car in the parking lot is almost covered. Good day to stay home.

BrownArmy

I got a call last night that our center would be closed (greater Boston area)...they probably made the right decision. We've got 16 inches so far, and it's still snowing!

brownedout

From what I've heard from friends/customers in law enforcement/government in the past, this is exactly the only reason UPS suspends operations.

Cementups

Box Monkey
I got a phone call this morning to stay home and we got no snow here at all in Central PA. My route was combined with anohter and they brought a part timer in to do it. :D

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

A state of emergency is called to try to keep as many vehicles off the roads as possible so that the plows can do their jobs. The police do have the right to ticket any non-essential vehicles violating the SOE.

BrownPR215

What Can Brown Do To You!
Got a call from my center manager around 7:30 to check in at 10 and get updated then. Called at 10 was told day off today (Philly). No problem here 30mph winds felt like knives on my face this morning.