Work Comp claims.

Returntosender

The union president here would , unless your local contractual agreement differs, suggest you hire or use the power of attorney. Liberty Mutual is extremely shady. They've introduced documents for me to sign that waivered any rights to an injury being "on the job" and this WAS FROM THE "DR"

They are directly in touch with your safety and management team and on-the-phone during your doctors visits.

Be careful, and if you would like advice I can offer privately...in depth stuff..
A few months ago, we had PCM the sup said Liberty Mutual offers employees life and car insurance, and they can take payment out of of your pay if you sign up. Another employee said they were shady with his claims. They will be shady with your car and life claims.

Johney

Something is not right, if you are light duty, you are collecting a pay check, with you are on comp you collecting a check. how did you do both. You were double dipping....
I don't think you read what he said. But you don't get paid comp until you have been out two weeks. So out two weeks,back to work then paid by comp for first two weeks then paid by UPS for next two weeks of light duty. He very well may have received two checks during the same week, but only because he was owed money from comp. Everybody who is on comp will have this happen as comp is always two weeks behind. It's a little confusing if you have not been through it.

top dollar

I think I am the only one who has zero problems with Liberty Mutual! I tore the tendon in my foot had to have three surgeries and was paid on time and was never denied anything, from either surgery to the rehab to LM getting me a orthopedic foot doc. The podiatrist just could not get it right so I called my nurse case manager at LM and she got me the ortho and I was back to wool I. 6 months! And I got a fair impairment rating check.
And I have my car and house insurance through LM!! I know it's rare but it can happen, to have a good experience with LM!

bellesmom

Agree with Sleeve, be very careful of Liberty Mutual and their adjustors. I've had 2 major battles with them in the last 20 years. First time I needed a lawyer, second time I knew enough to handle it myself. I am also glad to help if you want to message privately.

Big Babooba

The administration of Workman's Comp is regulated by the laws of your state. Here we get 60% of your average weekly pay for the 52 weeks prior to your injury (for me that would be close to $900/week). We also get paid weekly. Every state is different. Get a lawyer - I did. That's why my picture is posted on the wall of every Slippery Mutual office in the state!

brown bomber

brown bomber
Bilateral ulnar nerve release surgery due to repetitive motion injury.

Basically they cut open both elbows, repositioned the ulnar nerve, sewed me back up, had me rest for two weeks and then two weeks of light duty. They wanted to do one elbow at a time with the same rehab plan which would have meant two months of down time but I told them to do both at the same time.

I can see now why people say comp doesn't pay the bills--thank goodness I have supplemental health insurance (Combined) which sent me a check for $1K.

sounds like a repetitive motion situation........I don't think UPS acknowledges those injuries.......at least they didn't for me..........obviously I didn't follow training procedures..28 yrs., of step aerobics...doesn't result in knee joint damage ??

brown bomber

brown bomber
Great call on the supplemental insurance, I try and talk all the young guys into getting it and they all laugh at me. Comp can pay the bills if you are not living beyond your means(sup. helps) I have always made sure I can live off comp or disability if needed.Obviously not as well but I can pay my bills. Again something I try and teach the younglings but they don't listen and when out, there is always someone passing around a hat for contributions.
here in Central States...if you're on disability, any supplemental insurance is deducted from your from your disability check...they consider it as income...they even deducted a few months worth of investment income from me....it's an absolute joke

brown bomber

brown bomber
don't be confused ...I'm talking about LTD (long term disability).....I only made reference to Central States, as a geographical reference...it's not administered by the Union...it's administered by Aetna in this area

Babagounj

Strength through joy
I have been down this road many times.
It is better to work injured { small injuries } than go tru all the red tape .
In the end you always lose , all the cards are stacked in the company's favor.
With a major injury , first get a lawyer and then deal with Liberty Mutal .
The more power you have up front scares them.

Returntosender

I think I am the only one who has zero problems with Liberty Mutual! I tore the tendon in my foot had to have three surgeries and was paid on time and was never denied anything, from either surgery to the rehab to LM getting me a orthopedic foot doc. The podiatrist just could not get it right so I called my nurse case manager at LM and she got me the ortho and I was back to wool I. 6 months! And I got a fair impairment rating check.
And I have my car and house insurance through LM!! I know it's rare but it can happen, to have a good experience with LM!

Your not the only one. Tore tendons, broken bones,LM will play ball. One guy had a part of finger severed his settlement was 30gs. Dislocated shoulder and torn ACL got 20gs. When I first started remember this employee's leg got smashed by a package car driver, permanently disabled, needs a kane and walks with a limp. Couple of guys claimed pulled groins, LM did'nt give them a hardtime.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

A resounding theme I see in this thread is the difficulties some of you have had when dealing with comp in general and specifically with LM. I think part of that is the level of fraud within the comp system. My morning paper reported two local people arrested for comp fraud. I have a friend who is a comp fraud investigator and he tells me he has never been busier. He works on a commission basis and the past few years have been his best ever.

We should not have to jump through so many hoops for a legitimate on-the-job injury.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

sounds like a repetitive motion situation........I don't think UPS acknowledges those injuries.......at least they didn't for me..........obviously I didn't follow training procedures..28 yrs., of step aerobics...doesn't result in knee joint damage ??

I was experiencing tingling in the tips of my ring and middle fingers on both hands. It felt like my hands were asleep. Shaking them didn't help. The EMG revealed significant loss of nerve function. I had also heard that UPS would not acknowledge these types of injuries as there was no specific date of injury but they never gave me any problems and comp could not have been any easier to deal with. I think what may have helped is I agreed to delay surgery until after Peak.

menotyou

bella amicizia
I have been out for two different repetitive motion injuries. Herniated discs in the neck and carpal tunnel on both hands. Liberty didn't even flinch at paying me. You get a check every two weeks, Dilli.
We get 66% of your pay at the time of the injury. Your award, as they call it, doesn't change. It does not go up as your pay increases at UPS. In NY, they have changed it to where you gat up to $650 a week-bi-weekly paid. When I went out, the top award was $500. Just wait, Dilli. Here, after a time, they send you to their 'doctor' who assesses your rating of disability. And, they will do this, eventually. They reduce your pay according to that rating, no matter what your doctor says. Then, you have to go to court to get your money back. Hire a good attorney. Interview them. Don't let them take more than 10%. Make them set the amount they get for doing things. They will take some of the money you get back from court. Mine only got $200 out of the $10,000 he got back for me. He gets paid by the court/Liberty, not you. The only money he can take is what you agree to. That part is important. No one thinks of that stuff beforehand. PM me, if you need more info. Having been on this merry-go-round since 12.14.07, I have learned a lot. The ins co's and UPS use our lack of knowledge against us.

Do not forget, that you can get a second opinion(at least in NY we can) at their expense. Sometimes that is a good ting when going to court to force something like an MRI. Usually, the court sides with your doctor, but not always. Be very careful what you say to their doctor.

menotyou

bella amicizia
Comp pays 847 a week in WI. Never been on it.
No one ever tells anyone they should watch what state they start their career in. If you are working a job like this one, there is something to be said for looking into that stuff. I think Illinois has the best comp system. No positive, but I have checked some of that stuff out for various members of this forum. I believe Florida is one of the worst states to get injured in.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

On the flip side, New York and the Western Conference have the highest pensions, so I guess you have to decide whether you want security while working or during retirement.

I have supplemental health insurance so I am not dependent upon the comp system if and when I have a work related injury.

menotyou

bella amicizia
On the flip side, New York and the Western Conference have the highest pensions, so I guess you have to decide whether you want security while working or during retirement.

I have supplemental health insurance so I am not dependent upon the comp system if and when I have a work related injury.
I wish I had planned better. But, on Oct. 11, I go to get my Work Hardening script. :bigsmile2: I keep trying. We shall see if it works.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

A driver was telling me he pays 400 a month for supplemental insurance. I'll bank the 400 and take the chance.

He has way too much insurance. I am covered 24/7 through Combined for sickness/accident/disability for $100/month. I also have Long Term Care insurance ($38/month) and a $500K term life policy ($49/month).

I would also bank the $400 and take my chances. It's not like I'm a runner/gunner.:wink2: