Work Ethic of New Drivers

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Is it just me or do our newer drivers not have the same work ethic that most of us have? I will give you two examples of what I am talking about. We had a casual driver fired last Thursday for falsifying records. He was brought back yesterday on a "last chance" agreement, put on road, delivered a whopping total of 5 stops in 2.5 hours and then called the center to say that he was sick to the point where he felt it would be unsafe for him to be on road. The on-car told him to keep going and he would try to find someone to take over. The casual then pulled himself off road, which left the center scrambling to cover the area. I ended up taking 30 residential stops later in the day to help out. We had another casual who has been dealing with tendonitis in his shoulder come in and decline to run that same area, citing concerns with his shoulder. The ironic part is that his shoulder was not an issue when he asked to cover two other routes----it only became an issue when he was directed to run the route in question. The center manager told him that he needed to get medical clearance before he would be able to come back to work.

Is it just me or wouldn't you think that a casual who had just gotten his job back would do all that he could to redeem himself? Is it just me or wouldn't you think that a casual trying to get a FT job would not pick and choose which routes to run?

I will admit that part of the reason I started this thread is that I was called in off a scheduled day off to work due to the casual with the shoulder issue being declared unfit to work.

Have any of you noticed this trend among your younger co-workers?

3 done 3 to go

In control of own destiny
Absolutely! They cant work more than 6.5 hrs now for weeks. We were told here is a full day /plus. Good luck. Our new guy started yesterday. Looked like a deer in head lights. Scared to death. I don't think he will make it. No wonder the company can't find people to drive anymore. pusillanimous

Last edited by a moderator:

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
This is why many of us say not just anyone can do this job. Ok just about anyone CAN do the job. The number willing to is greatly in decline.

I don't know how old most of you were before you thought of 18-25 year olds as a new generation. I'm barely 30 and even a few years ago I had realized there was already a huge generational gap between me and the younger 20 something's.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
As technology advances, manual labor in everyday life becomes easier. As generations grow up they have it easier due to these advances. In certain jobs manual labor is much like it was 20 years ago, sans a few creature comfort. I believe this is what causes the work ethic of each generation to decline.

Short version
TV remotes have ruined entire generations.

gman042

Been around the block a few times
I think you only see this in off-the-street hires.
True and yet not true. We had one guy that worked as a peak driver and then was offered full time. He was off the street but knew full well what was expected of him and he took the driver position offered to him. For the first little while he was a worker. Now? He screams MAYDAY every day. It is tiresome.
I agree Upstate. The future of this company is in question. The quality of the drivers is becoming diluted.

Anonymous 12

Non active member
True and yet not true. We had one guy that worked as a peak driver and then was offered full time. He was off the street but knew full well what was expected of him and he took the driver position offered to him. For the first little while he was a worker. Now? He screams MAYDAY every day. It is tiresome.
I agree Upstate. The future of this company is in question. The quality of the drivers is becoming diluted.
It was an inside joke. If you don't get it it is what it is.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I think you only see this in off-the-street hires.

gman, this was a poke at me by Hoke. I guess you could call it a Hoke Poke.

oldngray

nowhere special
200161446-001-woman-poking-man-in-stomach-mid-section-gettyimages.jpg

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

This past Peak I was sent yet again to help the same driver by taking 20-30 residential stops off of him. When I got there I kind of went off on him, telling him (among other things) that he needed to step it up. Word got back to the center manager who then "asked" me to apologize as my "words of encouragement" could be construed as harassment. Welcome to Generation Me.

you aint even know it

Well-Known Troll
Troll
In all honesty, I think its us Americans who are getting more lazy by the days. It's funny how all the immigrants in my center work the hardest. I think I'm one of the three Americans who work hard in my building. This also applies to the drivers.