Work Ethic of New Drivers

3 done 3 to go

In control of own destiny
How else are they going to learn to drive in all sorts of weather? Didn't the retired guys do it too, to us old guys. Myself,I like working those days. No worries about delivering. Do I wanna go here today? Nope

I have been a casual for two peak seasons. I loved the job from the start and still do. I was laid off January 17th, but got a call from HR last week that I was their top pick to come back full-time. If I get it, I'll be working even harder than I did as a casual, smiling the whole way. It's an easy job compared to other jobs I've had and it pays well. Hearing about the OP's co-workers makes me wonder how people get anywhere these days.

Sent using BrownCafe App

3 done 3 to go

These
are the future of delivery drivers. UPS wants turn over. They can keep saying they hired their magic number each yr. Welcome to our future pension contributors.

3 done 3 to go

I have been a casual for two peak seasons. I loved the job from the start and still do. I was laid off January 17th, but got a call from HR last week that I was their top pick to come back full-time. If I get it, I'll be working even harder than I did as a casual, smiling the whole way. It's an easy job compared to other jobs I've had and it pays well. Hearing about the OP's co-workers makes me wonder how people get anywhere these days.

Sent using BrownCafe App

Good luck. Your an outside hire? Took me 10 yrs. This route. No help from the union. Will sell you out every time. Btw. When the contract passes. It will be 7 to 1. The reason I vote no for the last 6 contracts.

Good luck. Your an outside hire? Took me 10 yrs. This route. No help from the union. Will sell you out every time. Btw. When the contract passes. It will be 7 to 1. The reason I vote no for the last 6 contracts.
Thanks, yes I'm from the outside....HR person said they had to get permission from the union to hire me and she would call me in two weeks. Sounded a little odd.

Sent using BrownCafe App

The big problem is that this company is run by accountants now instead of Employees that have been with ups since day one. At peak i constantly bailed out the same temp driver. One night I was sitting at a parking lot waiting to meet him. I watched him drive around the same 3 streets in a circle several times before he met me. When I met him to take work he still had stops on those 3 streets left.......... He is now a supervisor. As soon as this company went public with its stock all of the great supervisors cashed out and were replaced by people like this. They all have 3 months driving experience and have no clue what they are talking about. I actually feel bad for my immediate supervisors. All of their decisions are made for them and it drives a wedge between us and them because they are the only ones we can vent to. They are stuck between screwing us over and doing what they are told. We as drivers have not only an obligation to help each other out but the integrity to not screw over a coworker that we have known for years. (Union or nonunion) I actually care that the S stands for service. I love this job but this company sucks to work for now because of corporate greed. I refer to them as JewPS.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
I never answer the phone when management calls or texts unless I'm on the clock and feel like it. I've never been asked to come in on a day off...ever.

Sent from Droid 4 using Brown Cafe mobile app

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
We all know that Upstate got worried an called his center manager on his own private number and asked if everything was going ok being that he had taken the day off. His center manager said "Oh Dave the place is falling apart without you. Would you jump into your phone booth and put on your tights and cape and come save the day?"--- and the rest is history.
newSuperDavead-1.jpg

As long as its reciprocal. Burn a bridge and odds are it's burnt forever.
Exactly! We have a new driver sup that is trying to kiss ass to the big shots. He got a driver suspended for "allegedly" seeing him not come to a complete stop at a stop sign. Even the other supers bitched him out for doing so. He went straight to our district manager. Pissed our center manager off plus the center manager apologized to the driver since he had to enforce it. Needless to say, we all layed down on the new super immediately when he asked for a favor. Sadly, he will go far in this company.

BrownArmy

We've got a recently-made-book driver who's booked off more in the last six weeks than I have in the last five years.

Good for him, I guess.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
This is how I see it. And of course its just my opinion. There are real reasons to call off. If you are projectile vomiting and projectile other things, you should call off.

If the weather sucks, you should go to work, but if its snow up to your earballs, I think the seniority drivers should get first dibs if someone goes home, but in my experience, the veterans come in, the newbies cant get out of their driveways.

I think it is called work ethic, which I have, and proudly admit. And I had it before I was an employee here. I worked a full day when I fell back in the 90s on ice. When injuries werent what they are now. It hurt bad, but I worked through it. Ended up having a broken ankle and broken coccyx: laymans terms tailbone. I thought it just was sore.

If your child has to go to a pediatrician for a shot or a cold, you should not call off. Unless you are a single parent, then if you have no help, you should call off, family first. If your child has a serious illness, you should call off.

If your wife has to go for a ob/gyn appt, you do not need to go. Go to work. If your husband has a prostrate exam, you should go to work. Hes a big boy, he will be fine. If your wife or husband has cancer, you should call off, go with them.

If your knee/shoulder/butt hurts, you should go to work. Usually if it is soreness laying around the crib makes it worse.

Our company is what it is because employees take it seriously, it is an important job. Yes UPS will survive if you are not there, but your job cannot be done by a monkey, unless the monkey has some training. There are only so many people on the roster. Dont be the one everyone hates because you are a wimp and dont belong in our circle!

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
New drivers are really coddled. Maybe sups are afraid of bad numbers? I don't know.

Z

ZQXC

Driver A and Driver B in the original post should both get a trophy. After all, they grew up in the era where everyone gets a trophy just for showing up.

wayfair

swollen member
It just occurred to me we're talking about how bad young peoples work ethics are, but in another thread many thought it was perfectly OK for Circle of Honor and other senior drivers to book off whenever it snows....
Where's the old guys work ethic???

It's definitely an "I'm entitled to" thing, just like young drivers.

we got one of those.... driver was off the last two days coded option 3.... driver doesn't have option 3 days, signed up for vacation week

one driver that works, is told that he will get help later in the day and friggin falls flat until help arrives

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
My observations from reading this thread:

A) UPS has spent hundreds of millions trying to "dumb" down the position of service provider. Between PAS, EDD, Orion, and Telematics, they feel that any warm body can sit in my seat and run my route. It takes a strong work ethic to do this job MEDIOCRE let alone EXCEL.

B) The "entitled" new generation is at the doorstep now. The young new hires come in the building and are met by cracking whips and warning letters. UPS has opened themselves up to employees that just do what they can and show no pride in their work. In the mid 90's when I was hired, preloaders CARED how the truck was loaded, drivers CARED how the customers were treated, and supervisors CARED if you needed to get out early for a child's soccer game. These future drivers don't have the time to care or to have pride in a job well done. That PRIDE has evaporated once UPS hit Wall ST.

C) Dave is a hell of a driver :wink-very: