Work Ethic of New Drivers

rod

Retired 22 years
Getting sick of 24/7 with the wife already, looking for a new job....

I use the excuse that I have to go to the hardware store or go do something at the Town Hall about three times a week. I usually leave about 10 and return about 7:30. For the most part the wife has given up on me. 24/7 with anyone isn't good. I could never understand how some couples could work together all day and co-exist all night. My wife loves her free time as much as I do. We still do plenty of things together but we've never been "that couple" who has to dress alike and hang on each other 24/7. My only advise is to find a fun part time job that lets you come and go as you please. I found one working for the local Township. I only have three standing orders. The Township Cemetery has to be mowed before Memorial Day, 4th of July week and Labor Day. Other than that I come and go as I please (and it pays 20 bucks an hour). There are no set hours and I choose what I want to do. Any time I want to make a few bucks I can go clean the Town Hall or shovel some snow or mow in the summer. Another great perk is that if I use my own equipment the Township pays for maintenance on it-- like new bars and chains on my chainsaw plus they pay an extra 15 bucks an hour for "rental". This winter we have had so much snow I've used one of my snow blowers to clean the side walks and around the storage sheds and recycle area so I've been getting some nice checks. Its a good gig.

Speaking of getting away--I'm heading to town right now.

3 done 3 to go

In control of own destiny
When our children were growing up other parents would comment to my wife about how hard it is to be a single parent. I always thought the paycheck was more important.

The reason why we decided to keep her home. Now she has a home business. That is growing everyday. I'm just nervous, I. May be working for her in 5 yrs.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
The reason why we decided to keep her home. Now she has a home business. That is growing everyday. I'm just nervous, I. May be working for her in 5 yrs.
My wife has depended on me for almost 100% of her living expenses for the last decade. Of course during arguments I have been known to hold that over her head.

She starts work Monday and will more than double up my pay. Its about to get real interesting in my household.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Put on your apron and learn how to cook.......................lmao
EP-8525-L.jpg

My wife has depended on me for almost 100% of her living expenses for the last decade. Of course during arguments I have been known to hold that over her head.

She starts work Monday and will more than double up my pay. Its about to get real interesting in my household.

Get in the habit of meeting her at the door on your knees for a while.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
While I agree with 99% of what you say I have to disagree with what I highlighted. I'm not a single parent but why should my wife always be responsible for our kids Dr. trips or staying home if they are ill(not a serious illness)? Is her job not as important as mine? Does her employer have to get jacked because her husband works for big and mighty UPS? They are our kids and both employers must share the burden of us missing time due to our kids. When they are ill we take turns missing days. Although there aren't many but we do share time off as not to burden her or my bosses. Just saying.
I dont disagree with what you say. Actually I mostly agree.
In my world, I made much less when I was married, than he. His job needed him, mine actually didnt. His job provided the bare neccesities, mine was menial. But then I also never asked him to care for our child, he called it babysitting.............. And he would not have anyway. I never left them with him, they always were with me, and as it ended in my case, I was right. He left and I raised them on my own. So speaking as a single parent is what I was doing......
And back in the time period of the 70's its mostly the way it was. I realize it is different now.
In the world today many wives have important jobs, just as important as the husbands. What I basically meant was coming from the point of view, usually the man is the paycheck. No offense meant.

I dont disagree with what you say. Actually I mostly agree.
In my world, I made much less when I was married, than he. His job needed him, mine actually didnt. His job provided the bare neccesities, mine was menial. But then I also never asked him to care for our child, he called it babysitting.............. And he would not have anyway. I never left them with him, they always were with me, and as it ended in my case, I was right. He left and I raised them on my own. So speaking as a single parent is what I was doing......
And back in the time period of the 70's its mostly the way it was. I realize it is different now.
In the world today many wives have important jobs, just as important as the husbands. What I basically meant was coming from the point of view, usually the man is the paycheck. No offense meant.

No offense meant? What was said to offend? If anything I'm sorry for what you had to go through.

Maybe I'm old school or new school whatever way it configures but I believe that both sides share the job of parenting.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
No offense meant? What was said to offend? If anything I'm sorry for what you had to go through.

Maybe I'm old school or new school whatever way it configures but I believe that both sides share the job of parenting.
Both sides should, and it is a lucky child that has that.

upschuck

Sadly, more often than not, both sides have to work to make ends meet and the child spends more time with their daycare provider than their parents.
Correction, both sides want to work to continue their lifestyle they had pre child. I know people who moved to a less expensive house, so both didn't have to work. Luckily, we work for a company that we can make enough where both don't have to work.

upschuck

Please don't correct my posts, especially when I include "more often than not", which covers those who "don't have to work".
So you can correct others posts, but yours can not be corrected? I do not agree with what you said, so I voiced my opinion that most parents believe that the lifestyle(of two jobs) is more important than the time with the kids.

Sadly, more often than not, both sides have to work to make ends meet and the child spends more time with their daycare provider than their parents.

Maybe to make ends meet, maybe to try and get ahead of the game. But I place more respect on parents that find a quality day care provider for they're kids than the ones who essentially leave them to they're own devices. I bet the ratio of daycare/ non-daycare is reflected equally by the ratio of non-delinquent/delinquent as the child gets older. There's something healthy in having responsible adult, non-parent, figures being role models. Our ancient ancestors did it tribally.