Work Shoes (not boots)

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
I have worn New Balance, Nike, Rockport, Clark, and they ALL wear out on the bottom too quickly.

This is the problem I have with shoes, the heels go out first. A long time ago, they made soles a lot harder. Then they came out with rubber type heels with air pockets in them for cushioning. I am lucky to get 4-5 months out of shoes. When I started driving, I wore Sears Diehards. Then I went to HiTechs in a boot. I tried some Nikes once, they wore out in one month. I then started trying hiking boots and shoes. The Rockports and Timberlands used to be good, but the soles and heels got worse as far as quality. I just bought a pair of Nike Air Monarch 3s today, I got them cheap and will try them. I really hate to go with tennis shoes, they don't offer good ankle support. But I will see how these do, I will alternate them with another pair of shoes.

over9five

Staff member
I swear by New Balance 608s during the summer. What I sacrifice in ankle support I more than make up for in overall comfort.

That's what I've used. They are sooooo comfortable (no break-in required), but they barely last the Summer. The soles last, but the uppers seem to tear away from the soles after about 3-4 months.

hmmmm, what's the difference in paying $120 for one pair that last two years or $120 for three pair that last two years? Sounds pretty even to me.

over9five

Staff member
hmmmm, what's the difference in paying $120 for one pair that last two years or $120 for three pair that last two years? Sounds pretty even to me.

Maybe you factor in the fuel used, and the inconvenience, of going to the store three times instead of one?

mattwtrs

Retired Senior Member
I always had at least 2 good pair of work shoes in the garage. I'd alternate the days I'd wear them. I would get 2 good years out of them. I also learned to walk lighter, easier on the shoes, my feet, knees & hips. Sketchers were my shoe of choice when I retired.

over9five

Staff member
I tried the Diehards once, but I didn't like the traction. Or the lack of traction, I should say.
Maybe their better now, but when I tried them, the only grip on the bottom was the raised letters of the word "Diehard".

Are they better now?

bellesotico

BOXstar
I swear by New Balance 608s during the summer. What I sacrifice in ankle support I more than make up for in overall comfort.

I just checked and my New Balance are the 631's.

• Stylish leather uppers
  • Non-marking, oil-resistant N-GRIP™ high-performance rubber outsole delivers solid traction
  • Cushioning EVA midsole
  • Abzorb® cushioning in the heel for tops in shock absorption
  • Removable, polyester-lined, EVA insole for more comfort
  • Wicking mesh lining
  • Padded tongue and collar. Each approx. 4 1/4"h., 14 ozs.
shoes.jpg

They run between $40 and $70 depending on where you buy them. But they are seriously comfortable.

Overpaid Union Thug

My current shoes are the New Balance shoes that say "748" on the heels. They are brown, which is the color I always try to buy, and are comfortable as any shoe I've ever had but they are starting to come apart even though I've only had them a few months.

Overpaid Union Thug

My current shoes are the New Balance shoes that say "748" on the heels. They are brown, which is the color I always try to buy, and are comfortable as any shoe I've ever had but they are starting to come apart even though I've only had them a few months.

When I started this thread I failed to mention that I boycotted Nike shoes years ago. I haven't had a pair since 1992.

tups

Skechers makes a good work shoe. Looks like a cross trainer, comfortable like sneakers, non-slip soles, and very durable. They last me around 6 months before the soles begin to wear out. They are called Skechers Work. Avg. price around $40 best shoes I've ever used.