work shoes

Floyd Gondolli

In my building in the So-Cal district they are cracking down on safety shoes. I've heard this before and everybody calls managements bluff and nothing happens. I work pre-load and last friday they said, come monday, if you don't have safety shoes you will get sent home. This time i chose not to call their bluff and sure enough guys got sent home left and right. No documentation just getting sent home without pay. It was funny watching guys limping around at break with fresh blisters on their feet from the minty safety shoes wanting to go to the clinic. If the drivers were held to this same standard all the routes in the building would sit. Anybody else going through this. Grievences are being filed.

Floyd Gondolli

Yeah, "issues" come in waves at my building. I cover drive as well and we will get messages like "who's space cushion is it" or "what is the number 2 on the 10 point commentary". We all know management is just the messenger and that's it. No ideas originate on there own during their think tank sessions. They know it and we know it. After 10 plus years i still have a hard time not saying anything. "It's in the eyes Chico" Tony Montanya

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Curious what it is your grieving? Since it is in the contract that proper shoes must be worn and you were even warned!!! I know technically your not grieving it but what is being grieved?

NYdriver

My work shoes

Nike20Air20Max20Wright20dark20grey20metallic20cool20grey20black2031755120020.jpg

djkre8r

HURRY AND FILE (if you were sent home)!!!
This happened in our center several years ago. At the time I was wearing Sketcher's Work Shoes and was told I had to have ankle support. THAT is NOT in the shoe requirement description! So, I showed up on the "D-Day" wearing bright WHITE basketball shoes. They were all leather and had ankle support. At break 3 of us were called into the office and then sent home for not complying. We filed for harassment and for supervisors working - because they should have had a union worker ready to take our spot. WE WON! We got paid good for a half of a day work (think it was double time since sups were working). Nothing else was said!!! The shoe thing has never been pushed in my center again (like it was in the past).

22.34life

Curious what it is your grieving? Since it is in the contract that proper shoes must be worn and you were even warned!!! I know technically your not grieving it but what is being grieved?
where does it say in the contract that you have to were safety shoes or work boots?if you read ups own rule regarding proper footware it says must be non slip and leather.so what about canvas workboots?if ups sends you home for improper shoes go to the union hall and speak to your ba and you will get paid for that day.a p/t that only makes $150/week cant go spend a whole paycheck on workboots.

Southwestern

Same thing happens here about once a year... union agrees with UPS, reminds employees they sign-off on proper work shoes during compliance training as well as DOK.

I'm laid off right now and working doubles... IMO, UPS really needs to crack down on these kids (and worse, the 30-somethings) sagging their pants. I don't know if it's more amusing or uncomfortable to unload a trailer side-by-side with some maroon who needs to pull up his pants every 30 seconds. But definitely not safe!

Harry Manback

Robot Extraordinaire
Here's the best part... Someone, is getting paid to go around and check shoes. This person more than likely posesses a bachelor's degree. He is reduced to checking shoes, take comfort in that. He makes less money than a driver to check shoes. What a shrill. He comes home from work everyday and kisses his wife whilst wearing his Land's End UPS polo shirt, thinking he did something to make the company better.