workboots?

goetface

quick question guys, for loaders/unloaders. Do the work boots have to be steel toed? or just leather? or both? and this item is a write off item at the end of the year I believe right?

j100701d

When I am laid off and working inside Red Wing steel toe all the time. When I am driving I wear Red Wings Chinese company Worx that also happen to be steel toed. Just 2 less opportunities for the DICTATORSHIP to do any sort of write ups on me.

goetface

I see. I was looking at the red wings/worx they pretty pricey on amazon. but so are the caterpillar brand im looking at.

Old International

Now driving a Sterling
No, they don't have to be steel toed. Just hard leather, that can be polished. After ALMOST dropping a 25lb square metal block on my toes, I quickly changed my coach shoes(polishiable, but just) for regular 9" steel toed work boots. After getting them broken in, they wear just fine, and I haven't worn anything else in 26 years

brownedout

Last I knew inside workers shoes don't have to be polishable. They can wear that light nubuck that most manufacturers refer to as wheat.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Last I knew inside workers shoes don't have to be polishable. They can wear that light nubuck that most manufacturers refer to as wheat.

Inside workers do not have any contact with the general public so their boots do not need to be polishable. You should be able to find a pair that will protect your feet without breaking the bank. You can write-off the cost of the boots but must have enough deductions to be able to do so--if this is your only job this is probably not going to be the case and you would benefit more from the standard deduction.

air_dr

I'm a rather big fan of Caterpillar myself.

Personal story: When I first started, I got a bargain pair...and ended up needing to see a podiatrist...who said the shoes were NOT the problem. Finally decided to simply try and change shoes, enticed by a sale on Caterpillars, and the problems went away.

The Caterpillars were comfortable enough and with me being a creature of habit and routine, I wore them all the time, not just for work.

Now, as an air driver, I have gotten away from the steel toe boots.

Speaking of sales of caterpillars: If there is a Meijer store in your area, they have pretty good prices, and, in the past, on Thanksgiving Day (not black Friday), they have a buy one, get a second pair of equal or lesser value free sale.

I have worn the "Birmingham" style and have found the brown leather to be both more comfortable and durable than the black leather.

I wear dark brown suede Sketcher Work shoes... They are steel toe, but look just like a tennis shoe and feel like them too.. I find that unloading, the steel toe has saved me a little pain more than once... Now that I am a driver, I often wear them driving as well... I have a pair of red wings that I keep in my truck and wear at times.. I am from a small center and the shoe thing is really not enforced here..

djkre8r

After buying my first pair of Nike Goadomes, I haven't wore anything else! My first pair held up for 2 years of walking on the concrete.

air_dr

One other thing that I have found to be just as important for your feet as good workboots are good socks. I wear "King Cotton" by Wigwam which I have purchased mail order from "Cameron Wollens" of Wisconsin. They are pricy - like $6.00+ a pair - but I feel they are well worth the cost. What value do you place on the health of your feet?

goetface

I place a high value on my feet, I look at most of my buddies feet and the majority of peoples and they are just :censored2: ed up as if they walked like a caveman for decades. I just think feet in general are ugly to begin with but hey w/e.

working up a sweat

I wear steel toes. Last year I picked up a box that weighed about 20 pounds. The bottom of the box broke and a planer blade fell on my foot. I was wearing leather boots with no steel, the leather protected my foot from any injury. Luckily the blunt side of the blade hit my foot at the toes. I picked up the blade and felt lucky that night. I could not believe this was shipped in cardboard. Blades should be shipped in a wood crate or plastic suitcase.