Worked 5 minutes.. Sent home! Denied work 100%

upsman29

HP,
I would think carefully before filing a complaint. What is your attendance record? Have you been late in the past, I say this because if you have had a problem getting to work in the past as soon as you file the complaint they will make sure in the future that each time you're late they will go to the next step in the discipline procedure. I'm not saying don't file, I'm just saying cross your T's and dot your I's from here on. Get to work on time!!!! If you're there on time they have no recourse in the future you will be paid for the time you missed and all will be good.

CFLBrown

Don't they have 10 days to give you a warning about an incident? Therefor, don't you have 10 days to file? File on the 10th day before you leave work and come back to work on the 11th day. Scott FREE! ;)

(This advice is only to be used if the above statements are actually true, I will not assume responsibility if you are disciplined for any actions due to my statements.)

upsgrunt

Don't they have 10 days to give you a warning about an incident? Therefor, don't you have 10 days to file? File on the 10th day before you leave work and come back to work on the 11th day. Scott FREE! ;)

(This advice is only to be used if the above statements are actually true, I will not assume responsibility if you are disciplined for any actions due to my statements.)

Nice waiver!:happy2:

HPLude

Was told today by shop steward, if your late, they can do what ever they want. Grievance failed.How can they have me work 5 mins, and send me home without incidenct other than being late, that was my 2-3 time being late in 7 months. My GF is a nurse and by law they have to stay untill they are fully staffed before they can leave. So she was running late and I have a 5 months old daughter that I need to watch... and I get a kick in the nuts for it.. AND lose money... Bad idea taking food off my table..

atatbl

Was told today by shop steward, if your late, they can do what ever they want. Grievance failed.How can they have me work 5 mins, and send me home without incidenct other than being late, that was my 2-3 time being late in 7 months. My GF is a nurse and by law they have to stay untill they are fully staffed before they can leave. So she was running late and I have a 5 months old daughter that I need to watch... and I get a kick in the nuts for it.. AND lose money... Bad idea taking food off my table..

This could just be our local contract. That being said, I "think" it applies to almost everywhere. I know it does at least two districts. The rule is this: if you clock in late (call or not, excuse or not) you are guaranteed no time. There is no guarantee for any amount of time (including 3.5 hours). I would assume this is why your grievance failed. Did they explain that to you?

I have no idea if I saw that in the master or a local contract, but it was one of the two.

cpio

Having filed a good number of grievances over supervisors doing union work, I can tell you this: Management *WILL* look to make your day hell over it. The last time I filed a grievance against my part-time supervisor, the center manager had me moved out of a department I had seniority rights in, and replaced me with a new hire that wasn't even in the union yet.

Anyways, regardless of what your shop steward says, management has no right to do union work. More specifically, management has no right to displace a union employee in order to have their work performed by a supervisor. If you wish to pursue this you should get a hold of a Business Agent from your Teamster local. Don't expect a settlement though, because management often instructs part-time supervisors to lie about working and (in my experience) most of the part-time employees don't know that their supervisor is violating their rights or don't care that their supervisor is stealing hours from them. If you want management to stop putting part-time supervisors to work it's going to take a concerted effort by all of your co-workers.

Ptrunner

Youre guaranteed the 3.5 only if you punch in the clock on time. Even though you called and they said there will be work, they can still send you home. The only way they can't is if they have supervisors working. But even if they still tell you to go home, just listen to them punch out. And if you see a supervisor working just grievance the time theyre working. Get paid double time and leave it at that.

If youre going to be late next time, just call in, and if they harass you on attendance, what i do is keep track of other peoples call ins in my area. Because i have filed alot of grievance for supes working and now i have a target on my back. But ive called in and they say well talk about your attendance. Then i say back to them you better talk to whomever has more call in and if they try to verbal warn me in any way, i tell them to leave me alone or ill file for harassment and that usually shuts them up. Its basically all a game. It's a game they play, youre just trying to be on the winning side.

Big Babooba

UPS has procedures for calling in late. You have a set time to call by and a limit to how late you can be. What bothers me is that management allowed him to work. They accepted his situation. If he did not follow the call in procedure, then they should have sent him home right off the bat. He should be paid his guaranteed time minus the amount of time he was late. Maybe I'm wrong, but that's the way I would argue it

HPLude

If they had me pull bags out of a trailer and and there where still pkgs in the trailer, isnt that work for me to do? Also is it "legal" to send ANY employee home without a diciplinary reason?? Just because I was late I dont think thats sufficiant enough... but I'm prob. wrong.

Ptrunner

If they had me pull bags out of a trailer and and there where still pkgs in the trailer, isnt that work for me to do? Also is it "legal" to send ANY employee home without a diciplinary reason?? Just because I was late I dont think thats sufficiant enough... but I'm prob. wrong.

They can and they do it all the time. I believe it says it in the contract towards the end. They can't fire you just cause they want to. Just because there was work available in your eyes, does it mean its wrong for sending you home. Its wrong when theyre supervisors stealing your work and sending you home. Just don't be late, dont let UPS win, beat them at their game. Just do what they tell you to do, if its illegal in law or not right contractually, just file the grievance or call osha.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

HazMat, Santana looked really good in his debut. It's too bad for you Mets fans he can't pitch all 162 games. See you in October--Red Sox/Mets rematch, different result.

Mike Hawk

Wow, the education level in this thread is astounding. Stewart and sence. I am utterly disgusted.

Shop Stewart!
JON%20STEWART%20STRIKE%20GOSSIP.jpg

HazMatMan

I am guaranteed 3.5 hours everyday.

Ok, I am going to prove you wrong on this. Let's say you start at 4 a.m. and work until 9 a.m. that's 5 hours, ok, you are running late one day and arrive at 6 a.m. you work until 9 a.m. no work left, guess what, you are going home with 3 hours pay. You will not be guaranteed 3.5 hours that day.