Worker productivity

OptimusPrime

Another 1 that grinds my gears! I delivered 20+ industrial parcels to a new business in a nearby town all week. They have a makeshift dock, but want you to, unreasonably in my opinion, wheel the parcels 50 feet down the dock closer to their interior receiving area. W... T... friend...?!?!?! All the while, there's usually 10+ guys & gals standing there having a cig. & watching me saying stupid shizz. Total carny atmosphere! Can't have any fun with it either 'cause it's heavy stuff, RDC, & I usually can't find everything right off the bat due to this PC's craptastic loader. What would easily be a 5-10 min. stop w/ a good receiving person is usually closer to 20 due to these lazy low life ungrateful friend---s!

Sent while chasing down unnecessary Dish Network call tags.

We aren't supposed to enter someones home. But for some reason it's totally fine to have some office drones tell us their 600lbs of paper goes 400 feet inside the office, around the corner, into some narrow hallway, and the storage room on the left. All so they don't have to interrupt their soaps they are streaming to their company computer. True story.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
We aren't supposed to enter someones home. But for some reason it's totally fine to have some office drones tell us their 600lbs of paper goes 400 feet inside the office, around the corner, into some narrow hallway, and the storage room on the left. All so they don't have to interrupt their soaps they are streaming to their company computer. True story.
Only if that's where all other stops go on normal days.

Once had a customer drive me a half mile away on their 2000 acre property to have me drop irrigation supplies in a field. This is a business so I followed. After we got out there I told him this is where I would be leaving all future deliveries. He wasn't real happy.

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
Honestly telematics has made it easier and more justifiable to do even less work. Once I get Orion I'll do even less.

This is not just a job it's a game. I love to not only play games I like to be the best at it win and smiles at them when I'm doing it.
Post of the YEAR!
I wish we'd had telematics 25 years ago!!! I love love love how i can point out to management i am working safely and by THEIR methods.in my building we old guys do the job by the book every day,and can have the proof and boy howdy does it take a great deal of time reducing backing,walking driveways,folding in the mirror at each stop etc . Management thought they were going to scare and intimidate us with this program and they have a very hard time reacting to us using it to our advantage.

ORION is a fantastic program! I get even more windshield time than I did before. I enjoy feeling the breeze blowing thru the door when I am riding around. Mr.Bojangles trust me on this : you will LOVE it

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
I hear ya. Gotta wait while a secretary at a large plant, makes her final evening plans on her phone, while I wait for a signature, or someone cant put their phone down til they are done doing whatever they are doing, even though you are standing there, or a customer with a cigarette in one hand, that they just had to light before they could possibly answer the door, and her phone in the other, and hopelessly tries to position them all so she can sign. I actually told one, put down the cigarette, the phone, sign and I will be gone. I dont like people, they are stupid.

I just stand there with a blank look on my face and stare right at the tip of their nose. Evidently that really freaks people out as they will sign quickly just to get me to stop staring

BakerMayfield2018

Fight the power.
Its a job nothing less nothing more anymore. Work get paid go home, rinse and repeat, but I feel what everybody thinks about this job anymore. Job blowz big nuttz nowadays lmfao.
When a 21 year old full time supervisor talks to a 40 year old driver like they are there red headed step child it makes my blood boil .... And it happens daily!!!

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
When a 21 year old full time supervisor talks to a 40 year old driver like they are there red headed step child it makes my blood boil .... And it happens daily!!!
I have fun with these kids and their Walkie Talkies. Laughing at them is much more fun than getting mad. I like making THEM mad lol
And if a 40 year old driver puts up with it,well he must like it

Theking30

SHORTY
Only if that's where all other stops go on normal days.

Once had a customer drive me a half mile away on their 2000 acre property to have me drop irrigation supplies in a field. This is a business so I followed. After we got out there I told him this is where I would be leaving all future deliveries. He wasn't real happy.

Your pretty hard core. Personally if I have cases of paper I do not mind helping the secretaries out. I get free bottled water. And I have farmers who get parts that I take to their garage and if it is their wife's QVC I leave on the porch.
Of course, I get nice Christmas gifts. Since your a cover driver you miss out on things. It is all about perspective. We got a driver who tells his customers the day before he has an eight hour, and they take care of him.
I see your point on some issues. But, I refuse to deliver a box to a grandma who can not pick it up and driver off with them starring at it on the porch.

9.5er

Come on people, why does everyone act so scared to sign for a package. IT's your crap, for your business. I didn't order it. Just sign for it so I can move on.

Brownslave688

I see your point on some issues. But, I refuse to deliver a box to a grandma who can not pick it up and driver off with them starring at it on the porch.
I understand but grandma ordered it. She's not putting together that bookshelf. I'm not putting it together. So whoever is can move it for all I care.

Brownslave688

Come on people, why does everyone act so scared to sign for a package. IT's your crap, for your business. I didn't order it. Just sign for it so I can move on.
You'd think they were putting their SSN and bank account numbers down. It's not that big of a deal just sign for it.

Unless off course we are waiting on the hot receptionist with fake double D's. In that case I've got time.

9.5er

I have been known to talk someone into signing even though they didn't think they were supposed to. Once they sign I say "they send the shipping bill to the person that signed" Thanks and have a good day.

BrownTexas

I usually just tell people "you are signing for package count, not content. If you can't count to __ then what do they employ you for?"

Future

Victory Ride
I guess I started this thread not more about us but more about how totally worthless the rest of people are.

Had someone picking up a part at a truck store today. He's blocking the drive to circle around. I pull in he's at leaning on the tailgate talking. I make eye contact and try to give him a look that says you better be gone before I get back. Make the pick up print end of day come back still talking.

Get in the truck and motion to him to move. I'm giving him the benefit at this point. Once I start my truck he will move quickly. Nope still talking. I honk and throw my arms in the air. He motions to hold on. I get out and say can you move your truck I have places to be you've been talking doing nothing for a few minutes now.

Of course I get alright fine and a look from hell but seriously these are just the drivers I see. Every office person I've ever delivered to has been on Facebook or candy crush or something other than their job every time I deliver.
I really relate to what you are saying here.

Future

Victory Ride
It's getting to be a bit much. I mean honestly with telematics I would say they are getting 95%+ productivity out if most of us.

We all know they know what we are doing every second. There's not much left to squeeze out of ups workers.
Some how ...some way .... they will

greengrenades

To be the man, you gotta beat the man.
It makes a lot of us resent the company. They don't care so I don't care.
Exactly how I feel. Before I went driving we had a shifter that would do 2 moves a night. This went on for years, so I ended up bringing a book to work and just putting my feet up. UPS could literally do nothing to me until they did something to him. They finally got him because he punched in, got in his yard dog and sat there for 5 hours and didn't move from the spot. This was after I went driving, but damn was my job relaxing. I read maybe a good 50 books over the years.