Workhorse p10 brakes!!

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!
Anyone else out there have a problem with the brakes squealing so loud it hurts your ears everytime you step on the brakes? I have written it up multiple times and spoke to the mechanics an multiple occasions. They tell me the problem is the pads that UPS is buying are so hard that they are destroying the rotors instead of wearing out the pads like they should, and that those are the only pads they can get for this particular truck. Thing is the original brakes that came on the truck did not squeal like this. My mechanic has done everything he knows to do but it never makes a difference. Just wondering if this is a common thing?

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
I wrote up the brake noise my P7 was making a couple of years ago, it sounded like the pads were worn out and hitting the rotors. I was surprised when my mechanic wrote in my DVIR "OK to use, cheap Chinese parts". Safety is number one at UPS.

cosmictrucker

counting the months
I would not tolerate this crap. There must be something they can do to solve the problem. You need to start squeaking louder than the brakes before it's corrected.

Maybe take a sound meter with you one day to record the sound levels. It very well could be beyond OSHA standards for in cab environment sound levels.

over9five

Staff member
Make sure you mention how much your customers complain about the noise as you pull into their business, and how they've threatened to switch to FDX because their trucks are quiet.

grgrcr88

I wrote it up as a safety problem and that it was affecting my hearing. I guess I will have to get a hearing test and get another one in the future to measure the amount of hearing loss. Every time I write it up they park it in the corner of the lot for 3-4 days and give me an old gasser with no power steering, as my punishment for complaining I guess. Doesn't bother me, I get paid by the hour!! I would just like to get it fixed. Doesn't make much sense to me that the company would save a few cents on pads that are wearing out the rotors that will cost $250 each to replace. 4 wheel disc brakes could cost an additional $1000

upswrench

I would not tolerate this crap. There must be something they can do to solve the problem. You need to start squeaking louder than the brakes before it's corrected.

Maybe take a sound meter with you one day to record the sound levels. It very well could be beyond OSHA standards for in cab environment sound levels.

If you did that in my center i would put you in the 1989 P-10 GMC with no power steering and red tag yours for about 2 weeks then give it back and see if you squeel again!!!!!

tracker2762

Anyone else out there have a problem with the brakes squealing so loud it hurts your ears everytime you step on the brakes? I have written it up multiple times and spoke to the mechanics an multiple occasions. They tell me the problem is the pads that UPS is buying are so hard that they are destroying the rotors instead of wearing out the pads like they should, and that those are the only pads they can get for this particular truck. Thing is the original brakes that came on the truck did not squeal like this. My mechanic has done everything he knows to do but it never makes a difference. Just wondering if this is a common thing?

I remember when I got a p57 workhorse that it did the same thing. It would make noise all day long. Mechanic told me it had to do with the type of frame that it has. I'm not a mechanic so who knows. I do know that after the brakes had been replaced, didn't make the noise again and still doesn't.
The one problem that I've had from the beginning is the front wheels would shake after going over a bump or pot hole. Kind of like they were out of balance. They did have a modification done to the front end but it still isn't 100% fixed.

ups2000

i cover a route that has workhorse p12. brakes are very loud. me and the regular guy wrote them up and was told they are fine nothin wrong with them . just loud and annoying but they stop just fine.

UPSGUY72

I don't worry about the brakes untill they start giving me a problem stopping than I worry. Break them in a little by pressing the brake a little and keep driving for a little bit if that doesn't help then you just have to deal with it.

grgrcr88

I don't worry about the brakes until they start giving me a problem stopping than I worry. Break them in a little by pressing the brake a little and keep driving for a little bit if that doesn't help then you just have to deal with it.

Why should I have to deal with it. They are so loud that it actually hurts my ears to the point of having headaches and making my eyes squint when I put on the brakes. They were properly burnished when installed so that is not the issue. The problem is that UPS has found the cheapest possible brake linings they could buy. They are so hard that they do not wear down at all. It is basically metal on metal from day one of their installation. It's so bad that the rotors are being destroyed instead of the brake pads.

I just don't understand the logic of saving a few bucks on brake pads but spending several hundred to replace the roters instead, in the mean time causing severe discomfort for your employee as well as all the customers within a 200 yard radius!!!

I would love to hear from every person that drives a workhorse to compile a mass of evidence to my safety coordinator so something can be done about this, short of calling OSHA and filling a complaint for excess noise violations!! I think that is my next step though!!

iamupser

Grease Monkey
Has he actually replaced the rotors? If so, has he tried getting some "stop squeal" locally to put on the back of the pads. I've never done it at UPS, but it worked when I was at the dealer. Also, in your case, maybe he could get a set of "high quality" pads locally to try out on your package car.

Just a thought.

I like using the line "normal semi-metallic brake squeal" myself!

grgrcr88

Has he actually replaced the rotors? If so, has he tried getting some "stop squeal" locally to put on the back of the pads. I've never done it at UPS, but it worked when I was at the dealer. Also, in your case, maybe he could get a set of "high quality" pads locally to try out on your package car.

Just a thought.

I like using the line "normal semi-metallic brake squeal" myself!

Tried replacing rotors and pads again still squeal, Yes he used the anti-squeal, no luck. Supposedly no one makes a pad other than the one they are using as replacement. However they did not squeal with the factory pads, only with the cheap crap the company buys to replace them with. They are apparently a very high metallic compound that is so hard it's like having metal to metal!

grgrcr88

Update:

I guess I got someone's attention finally. I went to the safety coordinator and told him the dilemma and stated that my next complaint would be to OSHA. Got called in the managers office the next day and asked if I said that. I told him absolutely I said it and I meant it. He asked me to give him a chance to correct the problem and I agreed. He stated they would be taking my truck out of service until a solution could be found. I agreed. Has been three weeks, mechanics replaced everything on the everything and put the truck back in service. Lasted to about AM and back to the same old issue. Told mechanic It was still doing it and he said I guess we will have to give that truck to someone else!!

Just like UPS to solve a problem by passing it on to someone that they think will not complain. I guess it's time to contact OSHA!!

klein

Für Meno :)
Actually, a driver here got a noise violation for his UPS truck from the RCMP.

That ticket gave him a newer vehicle !
But, someone else had to use that old loud truck on a different route !!!