workin on christmas eve

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Just by reading all the posts, this is a corporate wide plan they set in place this year. I never worked more than 50 hours in any peak, this year I have 47 in 4 days so far !!!!

I want to be pissed at my center manager so much but I'm just going to be mad at the wrong person !!!!

Why would you say that?

It just about always comes down to the competency of the local management.

S

splozi

All (at least, all of the ones that were working today) of the drivers at my center were told to show up on Saturday - which I find kind of strange as I'm sure some of them are almost at 60 hours. Sounds like they're about to break rules ... again.

UPSGUY72

All (at least, all of the ones that were working today) of the drivers at my center were told to show up on Saturday - which I find kind of strange as I'm sure some of them are almost at 60 hours. Sounds like they're about to break rules ... again.

Who is going to break what rules?? UPS can't force any driver to break the HOS rules and UPS isn't responsible for keeping track of the number of hours the drivers has worked the driver is.

The only UPS is responsible for is to tell the DOT when a driver breaks HOS rules.

Re-Raise

I had 48 hours last week, less than most non-peak weeks. I don't see anyone being short on hours going into Sat. We are only running Sat air anyway.

About the same here. I volunteered to work tomorrow just like I did the day after Thanksgiving. We are leaving the day after Christmas for a week in Florida.

The extra money will help pay for the Universal Studios tickets I just bought online and some of the liquor I plan on drinking on the beach.

It is usually the easiest money I make at UPS all year.

Why would you say that?

It just about always comes down to the competency of the local management.
That the old United Parcel Hoak. At the new UPS the failures almost always lie on corporate. Their failure to properly staff and not get the trucks is the real heart of the peak problem. Whatever it's over for the year may e they will get it right next year.

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
every driver with hours available was ordered to report tomorrow at 930. i'll be off by 1330 so its all good

Overpaid Union Thug

I will be working my 8 hour guarantee despite an apparent lack of volume and only having less than 8 DOT hours available. I am being "forced" like many others but at least it will be worth my while. In the southern supplement our scheduled work days don't include Saturdays so I will also be filing on being forced per article 58, Section 1 of our supplement. What a great way to end peak 2011.

opie

If they are going to have all these FT drivers work, then they might not need all of us Saturday Air drivers. There's no preload on Saturdays, so the only thing they will have is the Saturday Airs and the send agains, ground and airs which couldn't be delivered yesterday. Which can't be that much, so might not need many FT drivers, I don't think....Depends on the building, some may be worse off. I don't know if they will upgrade the regular residential next day airs shipping out today to Saturday. I saw a lot next day airs today from Macy's etc, and packages that could be Xmas gifts but doesn't look like they will be delivered until week.

Last edited:

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
They went by DOT hours available here, a couple senior drivers are being forced to work while drivers under them get the day off. Only 17 drivers being forced, they wanted more but no one has the hours available.

opie

I don't know why they don't have Saturday Air drivers deliver the ground? Just pay them the ground rate. They will be in the area. You could have a Saturday Air and a ground for the same house, and have two different drivers(Saturday Air and FT) deliver it. Winds up costing the company more money and time. Maybe they will send home Saturday drivers if a fulltimer can do the airs and ground.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
They sent a message requiring all drivers , regardless of DOT hours, to show up to work at 930am !!!

I have 18 hrs OT this week !! I'll be booking off along with the other drivers !!

They pulled back delivering anything that looked like a xmas present ! Just saturday air, which makes me wonder why they would ask EVERY driver to show up !!! DING DING DING Because they want to show up the drivers PERIOD

THE NEW UPS IS GEARING UP FOR A TERRIBLE 2012-2013

tourists24

They sent a message requiring all drivers , regardless of DOT hours, to show up to work at 930am !!!

I have 18 hrs OT this week !! I'll be booking off along with the other drivers !!

They pulled back delivering anything that looked like a xmas present ! Just saturday air, which makes me wonder why they would ask EVERY driver to show up !!! DING DING DING Because they want to show up the drivers PERIOD

THE NEW UPS IS GEARING UP FOR A TERRIBLE 2012-2013
dang... everyone of those drivers should demand their 8 hours

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
This thread has missed the root cause of this "crisis".
The unknown.
They have no idea, just like the rest of this peak season, what is going to happen from day to day.
IE and their projections have been repeatedly proven unreliable and skewed toward the cheap.
This coupled with the fear of management spending their own Christmas Eve chasing unreal expectations , has "them" once again realizing that "they" are nothing more than facilitators.
Maybe one day "managers" will be allowed to manage.

Last edited:

over9five

Staff member
I had to work today too. Took the rusted running boards off my sons car.... 2 running boards in one hour.

I ran under-allowed on that project!