Working after UPS. What do you do?

Catatonic

Nine Lives
All I have to remember is to make sure there is a flashcube in my Instamatic.

I took you for a Brownie guy.
brownie+bullet+camera.jpg
brownie+bullet+camera.jpg

leastbest

LeastBest
I don't work. Never will again. Instead I play my guitar, banjo, harmonica, dulcimer, ukulele. Play poker few nights a week. Take walks and take photographs. Ride my bicycle. Spend time with friends and family. Write short stories.

BonafideView

A bit of what I've done after UPS

Dear Brown67,

Because I retired at 56 years, I can not do any driving or loading work that would be done at UPS without losing some of my retirement pay until age 65. That seems reasonable and is fine with me. I loved working for UPS; but, after 28 years I was ready to "re-tire" and try out something new in my life. It is so wonderful to have the opportunity to do this. Right before retiring, I enrolled in community college classes to help myself step out into a world that wasn't there when I went into UPS. Those classes helped me learn how to really use a computer and it was a smart move as now I can do anything the young kids can to stay competitive in the job market. I have earned my associates degree in accounting (about half of the classes online!) and plan to continue onto a bachelor's in accounting with a minor in geography. I work seasonally at a ski resort and absolutely love being in the mountains. Those are the work type changes I have made, I am sure you have plenty of your own ideas about not-work fun to add to it. (Road trips, hikes and hobbyist photography are a few of mine.) On a healthy body note, after a year of retirement, I lost the limp that I thought was going to be my lifelong result of working such a physical job - retirement holds many surprises. Good luck to you; any job has its ups and downs, but UPS has lots of ups to offer in the long run.

Richard Harrow

Deplorable.
I plan on answering a lot more fire alarms. I miss all the good ones when I'm at work. That aside, God willing if most things fall into place, the house will be paid off, both girls will be done with school, and I'll have a whole lot of time on my hands.

upschicksinger

I retired at 51 after 27 years with UPS. I loved my job, but management and icy roads got the best of me :( Since we live in an area with severe winters I thought I was going to take the whole first winter off before I looked for any work. The first few weeks off were filled with harvest (hubby is a farmer) hauling gravel and pulling fence posts. I saw a friend who manages AAA Travel and she offered me a part time job - I took it immediately - The hubby was working me TOOOO hard ;-) Our agreement is that if the weather is so bad that I can't see the road (we have a 1/4 mile long drive way) that I don't have to work.

I have a huge garden and took golf lessons this spring. I also play guitar and sing in a country band so that keeps me out of trouble on the weekends. Enjoy your retirement, but I think you'll find yourself busier than you expect.

raceanoncr

Don't do nuttin. I mean NUTTIN! To me, that's what retirement means. If I wanted to work, I woulda stayed at UPS. Oh, sure, had pretty cush job when I left. Feeders for most of 32 years.

I still say I have more things to do with my life and work just got in the way.

Got cars, drinking, motorcycles, drinking, pool, drinking, keno, drinking, taking the wife to lunch, drinking, grandkids, drinking, yard work, drinking, napping, drinking, holding up old pictures of Farrah Fawcett with one hand, drinking, sitting in a chair watching joggers on walk trail in backyard, drinking, playing with Wank the Wonder Woofer, and, oh, did I mention, DRINKING!

moreluck

golden ticket member
OLD AGE IS A GIFT...I HAVE
DECIDED

I am now, probably for the first time in my life, the person I
have always wanted to be. Oh, not my body! I sometime despair over my body - the
wrinkles, the baggy eyes, and the sagging butt. And often I am taken aback by
that old person that lives in my mirror, but I don't agonize over those things
for long.

I would never trade my amazing friends, my wonderful life, my
loving family for less gray hair or a flatter belly. As I've aged, I've become
more kind to myself, and less critical of myself. I've become my own friend. I
don't chide myself for eating that extra cookie, or for not making my bed, or
for buying that silly cement gecko that I didn't need, but looks so avant- garde
on my patio. I am entitled to overeat, to be messy, to be extravagant. I have
seen too many dear friends leave this world too soon; before they understood the
great freedom that comes with aging.

Whose business is it if I choose to
read or play on the computer until 4 am, and sleep until noon? I will dance with
myself to those wonderful tunes of the 60's, and if I, at the same time, wish to
weep over a lost love. I will walk the beach in a swim suit that is stretched
over a bulging body, and will dive into the waves with abandon if I choose to,
despite the pitying glances from the bikini set. They, too, will get
old!

I know I am sometimes forgetful. But there again, some of life is
just as well forgotten, and I eventually remember the important
things.

Sure, over the years my heart has been broken. How can your heart
not break when you lose a loved one, or when a child suffers, or even when a
beloved pet dies? But broken hearts are what give us strength and understanding
and compassion. A heart never broken is pristine and sterile and will never know
the joy of being imperfect.

I am so blessed to have lived long enough to
have my hair turn gray, and to have my youthful laughs be forever etched into
deep grooves on my face. So many have never laughed, and so many have died
before their hair could turn silver. I can say 'no', and mean it. I can say
'yes', and mean it.

As you get older, it is easier to be positive. You
care less about what other people think. I don't question myself anymore. I've
even earned the right to be wrong.

So, to answer your question, I like
being old. It has set me free. I like the person I have become. I am not going
to live forever, but while I am still here, I will not waste time lamenting what
could have been, or worrying about what will be. And I shall eat dessert every
single day.

Today, I wish you a day of ordinary miracles.

(Author
Unknown)

Babagounj

Strength through joy
When my time in is done , I'll be just across the street spending more time on the ocean . During the warm months lobstering , sailing , and relaxing .
During the cooler months building my own rowing skiff and repairing the lobster boat since I fish very close to the shore & have a bad habit of hitting rocks .

A

anonymous6

Call me Forrest Gump----I mow grass for my local township (park-cemetery- town hall ). Its the perfect job because I do it when I want to and they pay me quite well thank-you.

i used to work at a cemetary. i loved the solitude and you have a lot of people under you.

A

anonymous6

i know a little bit about books so years ago i sold one on Amazon for 5 bucks. so i bought 5 more at thrify stores and sold them and so on and so on.

so now i have about 1500 books that cost me 5 bucks and are worth almost 50,000 at current prices on Amazon or ebay. it's really a hobby for now. i just LOVE going to thrifts and yard sales and finding valuable books. i don't even consider the time involved because i love doing it.

it's a thrill getting a $100.00 book order that only cost me a dollar. the highest order that i got was for $249.95 for a book about a piano composer that I bought for a dollar. just last week i bought a book from a ebay seller for $1.99 that i have sold in the past for a hundred dollars.

now i just specialize in a certain subject that I know really well. it just took trial and error to find out what people will pay big bucks for. sorry can't say what it is. i don't need any competition. i buy from a lot of ebayers that haven't the time or inclination to research what they have.

so when i retire , i'll probably do a lot of this.

brownboyups

look 8 hours a day for undervalued stocks in the stock market
buy them and hopefully make money
if correct with picks can make a lot of money

or bet on baseball games and have a lot of fun
and pray that the pension really plays each month

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I work on Photography related jobs:

Paying Jobs (Independent Contractor):
Director of Serenbe Photography Center
Instructor at West Georgia Technical College
Artist in Residency for After Hours with High School students
Miscellaneous Photography Shoots - Weddings, Portraits, Senior Pictures, etc.

Non Paying Jobs:
President of Sweetwater Camera Club
Non-Profit shooting gigs