Working as a dockworker

cincinnatiguy

I have an opportunity to work for ups as a dockworker FULL TIME starting out in Hebron Ky. I live in Cincinnati. The main concern for me is the travel 40 miles one way. Also the pay will greatly affect if I take it or not. I am traveling 12 miles one way at my current job and make $12.10 an hour. Will being a dock worker full time be something similar? I know ups is a damn good company to work for and this is a great opportunity to get my foot in the door.

If this facility union?
Do they lay off often?
Is business really booming like they say?
Whats it like to be a dock worker?
PAY?
Why is it a tues-Sat position?

Tell me everything I should know about this. The interview is Wednesday at the 1500 Worldwide BLVD plant in Hebron KY.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

UPS Cartage is part of UPS Supply Chain Solutions. One of our members, ajblakejr, works in Cartage. I'm sure she would be happy to answer any and all questions you may have. Dave.

LAU004

cincinnatiguy,

please let me know if you figure out this information. my boyfriend is trying to decide if he wants to work as a dockworker full time in hebron also but he is not sure about the pay, which is the main concern for him. he already works as a package handler at another location but they do not offer full time positions for package handlers. he is wanting a full time job, rather than two part time jobs, and a dockworker offers full time positions. Please let me know if you figure this out! Thanks.

newb

did you make it to the interview? i myself was interviewed at the same location yesterday for the same postion, i had a great interview with a hr recruiter named rosie, i was offered a postion in warehouse 1 and the position starting pay is $9.90/hr. i myself am trying to learn the answers to the rest of your questions, i wish someone would be willing to answer them, i started a thread today but the only response i got was a youtube video with a forrest gump excerpt saying ARE YOU STUPID OR SOMETHING, RUN FORREST RUN. lmao. either way i needed the job and am a very dedicated and hard worker so i think i can make something out of this. i have read mulitple threads in here that contain alot of frustration, i understand now why ups doesnt drug screen the employees. lol. my commute isnt nearly as far as yours and i was before this unemployeed so i am excited to become a part of the team in hebron kentucky. orientation for me is on 10/31. i cant wait!

newb

what do you mean by drivers? i dont believe its a ups ground facility or maybe freight not totally sure of the difference, i did see a couple brown package cars driving by when pulling into the parking lot, but we have a ground/freight??? facility in sharonville ohio which is 30 mins away or so and they hire part time package handlers regularly. and thats where there are hundreds of package cars and ups trailers on the lot clearly visible

ajblakejr

Age quod agis
I was under the impression that this interview was at UPS Cartage Services.

You would not see any Brown Package cars at a Cartage Service Center.

newb

the job is for ups supply chain solutions, i dont know what divison that is but i am sure thats where the position is, maybe the brown truck was just making a pick up or delivery for near by businesses, their is an amazon distibution center right across the street. can you tell me if ups scs is a part of the union? or answer any other questions raised by the thread starter?

newb

ok thank you. i know that i will be starting during peak season but when i filled out the app the job description was full time dockworker, they claim a lot of growth and expansion, should i be looking to be unemployed after the holiday season, they are hiring up to 600 the local news said, and have already filled 200 postions, the hr manager was on the news saying that they expect to continue filling postions all the way until 2nd quarter of next year. i guess my question is would they tell me the job was seasonal or peak if it was?

newb

i made a post that says needs to be reviewed by a moderator. im confused. do moderators come on here alot? how long til its approved?