Working at FedEx express or FedEx freight. Both job offers

bacha29

Yep. People that are happy and have a positive attitude are not welcome or appreciated. Miserables like you are a dime a dozen in here.
Happy is one thing. Clueless and naive are something completely different. Not to mention out of touch with reality.

bacha29

I was trying to be polite----I figured "none of your business" would not be a very nice thing to say.

He actually works for an international aerospace defense company.
It is still a science that has as it's focus the procurement, movement and application of required materials and do it in the most efficient way including minimizing manpower requirements. Don't get me wrong I'm happy that he went and got him MBA because that him apart from the avalanche of 4 year bachelor guys. A former coworker of mine went on up to a master's degree in business logistics in order to get ahead of the herd. Unfortunately the stress of the job cost him his marriage and later his life at 39.

Purplepackage

It is still a science that has as it's focus the procurement, movement and application of required materials and do it in the most efficient way including minimizing manpower requirements. Don't get me wrong I'm happy that he went and got him MBA because that him apart from the avalanche of 4 year bachelor guys. A former coworker of mine went on up to a master's degree in business logistics in order to get ahead of the herd. Unfortunately the stress of the job cost him his marriage and later his life at 39.

The better the job, the higher the stress it's an extremely unfortunate reality

vantexan

The company doesn't have to file for bankruptcy. The defined benefit pension plan upon being declared insolvent can be liquidated with the pension obligations shifted to the Pension Benefit Guaranty Trust which pays about 60% of the original benefit. Will it happen? The odds favor that it won't but at the same time if X wants rid of those so called " legacy" costs they will try it if the odds of succeeding look good enough.
This is absolutely false. FedEx by law is required to fund it's pension obligations. It can't turn a profit and pass on some of the profit as dividends without first meeting those obligations. And the PBGT has a cap on how much it pays to individuals. It was $47k about 10 years ago, don't know what it is now. That means those expecting larger pensions will only get up to that cap. Those whose pensions are less than the cap aren't affected at all.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
Yep. People that are happy and have a positive attitude are not welcome or appreciated. Miserables like you are a dime a dozen in here.
You're not even happy. From day one, post #1 you come on here as super defensive.

And you live in Fantasyland too.

vantexan

Man you are attacking as much as anyone on here, and more than most. Do you not believe in free speech? If what people are saying is true, shouldn't FedEx be held accountable? If FedEx is always on the up and up why do they get sued so much, losing many of the suits? You seem determined to stifle dissent.

Oldfart

Man you are attacking as much as anyone on here, and more than most. Do you not believe in free speech? If what people are saying is true, shouldn't FedEx be held accountable? If FedEx is always on the up and up why do they get sued so much, losing many of the suits? You seem determined to stifle dissent.
Attacking the miserables. Your type hates to see someone that is satisfied and content. It kills you because you are not happy until everyone is as miserable as you. I know nothing about lawsuits or how the RLA affects the company or many other things you complain about. If I had no life and my job was the center of my existence, maybe I would spend my days researching like many of you must. Instead I wake up just glad to see another day and look forward to about 20 more months before I call it a day. I am sorry happy people offend you but that is just gonna have to be your problem.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
Attacking the miserables. Your type hates to see someone that is satisfied and content. It kills you because you are not happy until everyone is as miserable as you. I know nothing about lawsuits or how the RLA affects the company or many other things you complain about. If I had no life and my job was the center of my existence, maybe I would spend my days researching like many of you must. Instead I wake up just glad to see another day and look forward to about 20 more months before I call it a day. I am sorry happy people offend you but that is just gonna have to be your problem.
rose-colored-glasses.jpg

vantexan

Attack, attack, attack...it's all you do. People have legitimate grievances, and have a right to voice them. I wonder how happy you'd be if you were in our shoes, especially at your age? Might have a different perspective.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
Hello. I just got offered a job at FedEx express as a handler/courier(some days shuttle driving loads to Lax or Burbank airport. 330-730pm
I'm also going to get offered (based on what the manager inter to me ) a job offer for FedEx freight as a dockworker 4-10am.
I am thinking I'll probably juggle these jobs just to get the feel for both. Or just keep one or the other. They both have excellent almost equal hourly rate, but want opinions of both companies
I am looking for a career where I can get the most advancement from a bachelor degree I'll obtain in the future ( Logistics/operations management)
Thank you
Company Policy prohibits working for different divisions simultaneously......unless you are UpstateNYUPSer, of course. He does as he damned well pleases.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Company Policy prohibits working for different divisions simultaneously......unless you are UpstateNYUPSer, of course. He does as he damned well pleases.

How about working for neither one and finding a job with a quality organization? If you must, choose Freight, and here is why...a lack of the RLA. Because Freight is under the NLRA, there is a very real chance of unionization, so top-out is only a few years, not 10 BS "steps". The same crappy benefits and no retirement, but you will probably have a chance to move up to a driving position because there is a huge shortage of CDL-A drivers. Let FedEx train you, get a year or two of experience in tractor-trailers...and LEAVE.

Oldfart

How about working for neither one and finding a job with a quality organization? If you must, choose Freight, and here is why...a lack of the RLA. Because Freight is under the NLRA, there is a very real chance of unionization, so top-out is only a few years, not 10 BS "steps". The same crappy benefits and no retirement, but you will probably have a chance to move up to a driving position because there is a huge shortage of CDL-A drivers. Let FedEx train you, get a year or two of experience in tractor-trailers...and LEAVE.
More lies. Just tell the person the truth. He asked an honest question. They at least deserve and honest answer. That is why I told him there were too many miserables on here to get an answer he could base his decision on.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

This is absolutely false. FedEx by law is required to fund it's pension obligations. It can't turn a profit and pass on some of the profit as dividends without first meeting those obligations. And the PBGT has a cap on how much it pays to individuals. It was $47k about 10 years ago, don't know what it is now. That means those expecting larger pensions will only get up to that cap. Those whose pensions are less than the cap aren't affected at all.

$47K? Try $1,100/month.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I will use my personal cell phone when it benefits me.

In the airport scenario a quick phone call to the consignee could have saved a lot of time.

Serf

M
If he's getting a degree he probably wants to move up into management so unionization would be a bad thing for him. Besides, the teamsters ran away from Freight.
Maybe, maybe not. Regardless. If life does not go as planned. I envision a scenario where years down the road Freight was the better decision. Especially because of the small chance of a Union. Where that prospect is completely off the table at Express.